USA-CAN-USA, July 2017 (16 US states and 4 Canadian provinces)

Lake Emerald in Yoho National Park

2zs8l5g.jpg

2sbtzdd.jpg

8x68sk.jpg

23vzwcn.jpg

20hsiyv.jpg

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
We've been following along on your adventure. Looks like a great trip. We will follow some of your route leaving the Houston area in a few days working our way up to try and catch the ROF's expedition, (posted in the In Progress Adventures section) up in AK before the end of the month. Keep those reports coming. We'll keep an eye out for pugslyyy out on the road too.

We've been following along on your adventure. Looks like a great trip. We will follow some of your route leaving the Houston area in a few days working our way up to try and catch the ROF's expedition, (posted in the In Progress Adventures section) up in AK before the end of the month. Keep those reports coming. We'll keep an eye out for pugslyyy out on the road too.

Thanks for stopping by to read about my adventures. Feel free to keep on reading. It has been a great trip so far. Amazing experiences. I think I will run out of adjectives to describe all what I have seen so far. I am just in awe at every natural sight I see. Beautiful!!!

I just came across that thread of the ROF. That trip sounds really cool. That is a unique way to overland. Some people joining along the way for short periods. If it was in my way, I could have asked to join. It is so much fun overlanding with people.

Pugslyy is still out there in AK. Hopefully you meet him on your trip. He has a cool rig. He will give you a tour, I am sure.

Today I left from Canmore to jasper driving on the Iceland Parkway. That road is truly amazing. The journey is about 4 hours, if you drive through. But it took me 9 hours with stopping to take in all the beautiful attractions by the road and do some hikes. It was just amazing.

Except for the very serious parking lot accident we met. I will describe it in a few posts below and post pictures. The accident almost ended in a fatality.

Here are some few random pictures of how I will always picture Canmore in my mind. This is where I had my hotel and would leave and drive to visit Banff, Lake Louise and Yoho National Park.
View of the whole town of Canmore from a dirt road leading to Grassi Lakes in Canmore
2h3plyp.jpg

Dirt road close to Grassi lakes in Canmore
651v9i.jpg

x3bibl.jpg

jrbuqv.jpg

The coolest foodtruck ever. Double-decker Order downstairs, eat upstairs or on the patio. Super expensive. 2 tacos for $14. But cool and romantic spot.
i4msgn.jpg

Beaver tail snack. Love this snack while on this trip. Ate quite a lot.
10x54si.jpg

Last edited:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Thanks for showing off your great pics! The kinder eggs ********! Looks like an awesome time, and enjoy the rest of your trip, I'll continue to watch!

Umbrarian

Observer
"Do you guys have any weapons or anything for self defense like, guns, knives, bear spray, maze, tasers?"
Ans: No.

"Have a safe trip", as he handed us our passports and we drove into Canada

Yeah, have a safe trip with no means to protect yourself from anything. LOL

Great thread, nice pix!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Looks like you're having an absolute blast! Canada is always so much fun. So sorry I couldn't get you my food recommendations and more general info before you went. I had some personal stuff come up and lost track of time But I see you found your way to some amazing stuff.

Can't wait to meet you in a few weeks!

Thanks for showing off your great pics! The kinder eggs ********! Looks like an awesome time, and enjoy the rest of your trip, I'll continue to watch!

Thanks for taking the time to read the thread. Lol about the kinder eggs. I need to get some more in Vancouver in a few days. They are really good. Sad it is illegal in the USA. I am sure the kids will love it there. But I don't know for sure, but I think it is illegal in the US because of choking hazards. The toys that come inside the eggs are pretty small and kids can easily swallow them. But I am surprised to see Canada is ok with the eggs but USA is not.

Yeah, have a safe trip with no means to protect yourself from anything. LOL

Great thread, nice pix!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read the thread. Lol, too funny. You know I definitely have something to protect myself. Anything in the car can be used for that.

Looks like you're having an absolute blast! Canada is always so much fun. So sorry I couldn't get you my food recommendations and more general info before you went. I had some personal stuff come up and lost track of time But I see you found your way to some amazing stuff.

Can't wait to meet you in a few weeks!

Yeah, the vacation has been too great so far. Canada feels like a section in paradise. Truly cool. Very natural.

You are a busy man, but glad you always make time to respond to me I am truly looking forward to meeting you guys too for sure. Great tips in the PM you sent and I will text you soon.

One thing that took me by surprise in Canada here is buying anything with a plastic bottle. You must pay like double for it. For example. I went to Costco and bought a 40 pack of water which costs $3.49 CAN. When I was checking out, the price of the water became $9!!! I told the lady she may have made a mistake. She said no. Then she started explaining all this to me that I did not understand. Well, I was holding up the line and decided to keep on moving and one lady just followed us and helped us fully understand. They charged me $4 for deposit for the bottles and charged me I think $1.5 for environmental fee. I mean, I was really confused. But I guess that is how things are in Canada about buying water. But they told me if you bring bottles when you are buying water, you do not have to pay a deposit. I mean, Canadian seem to be very good about recycling all their water bottles.

A Canadian might chime in here.

Gas price in Canada is more expensive than in the USA. So, my very thirsty Infiniti spends most of its time at the gas station. That is not very exciting, but I need to keep her hydrated with all these distances it covers each day. 10 days now into my trip and I have covered 3,200 miles already. I still have about 16 days before my vacation is over.

Yesterday, I drove on the Icefield Parkway. A journey that takes 4 hours if you drive straight, took me 9 hours with all the stops I made.

Halfway into the Icefield Parkway is a gas station. the price of gas there is VERY VERY expensive. I stopped and got gas and regret getting in line. After conversion, the gas cost me $4.86 for regular, but my car recommends premium. But I do use regular when the price of gas is very high.

Here are the pictures of all the stops I made along the Icefield Parkway. Will put more details about it soon.

Crowfoot glacier. Take your time to look for the image of the crowfoot in the picture.
30b1cfl.jpg

15cowb5.png

Bow valley summit and a picture of Peyto lake. This picture does not do it justice. Those who have seen this in person can attest.
2lihm9s.jpg

I have to look up the name of this lake again. But this is after Peyto Lake
28u1wfa.jpg

2ik4llj.png

Parking lot where people park before hiking a steep short half a mile hike to get up to the glacier
5p4j9l.jpg

And then you come to paradise Very cold, windy and some times light showers. I mean some people just spent their time here with their mouths wide open in total silence. Jut marveled at the wonders of the world. This my picture does it no justice.
1hut1z.jpg

25pl1jo.png

Very steep descend from visiting the glacier. People getting back to their cars which we all parked at. Lol, these are the people who refused to pay the $141CAN to get the tour on the 8X8 huge suvs to go to the top of the glacier and go walk on the skywalk. I just did not pay for that experience. I got my own experience with all these people who also refused to pay that amount per person.
2ciifd0.jpg

Mistaya Canyon
51dirq.jpg

Sunwapta Falls
nm0qcz.jpg

Last edited:
Accident at Athabasca Falls parking lot.

This is the story I got from the park ranger as he narrated and pointed at each person he was referring to.

A family from Germany visiting Canada for their first time. Mom barely speaks English. All 3 kids do not speak English. They get to this park. Mom hands over keys to 17yo son to go retrieve his cellphone from the car.

17yo gets there and decides to drive the rental car. He puts it in reverse and guns it. Hitting 2 cars and this Japanese guy who was standing behind his car with thenlifted rear gate trying to retrieve something from his vehicle.

People see what just happened and start screaming. 17yo panicked. Puts it in park goes forward, puts it in reverse and guns it again. Hitting the guy a second time and this time sending him flying and he lands with an open wound in his head. The car the 17yo is driving stalls in between 2 vehicles.

The police gets there about 20 minutes later. 17yo is locked up in police cruiser whike they interview everybody else.

Language barrier between getting information from the German family and the Japanese family. Police calls interpreters on the phone to help translate. Guy is bleeding. Rushed by ambulance to Jasper to take a flight to Edmonton for emergency.

Both families are all tourists here.

It was a mess.

302nhbp.jpg

30200eu.jpg

242szh4.jpg

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
It looks like that may have gone in a worse direction and sounds like it came out well, or at least OK.
My neighbor lady speaks German, Spanish, French and of course English. She has helped many out on their travels. Any oriental language is not in her kit.

Jasper National Park

Yesterday, immediately I got into town, a small black bear crossed the road confront if the small RV that was ahead of me. I pulled out my phone and got a short video. Bear sighting in the area by all the people visiting is very exciting out here.

That evening, we drove to Lake Maligne. All activities were closed for the day and it was about 9pm with the sun setting, but still plenty of light out. Perfect for great pictures. Tranquil waters and just a perfect atmosphere for namaster.

Maligne Lakes and Maligne Canyon are the 2 top things to do while in Jasper.

Here are the pictures of my Jasper experience.

Lake Maligne at 9pm
vy87d2.jpg

2u5ukye.jpg

11iixk2.jpg

24ni800.jpg

ncjeaa.png

Sunset at a lake just before Lake Maligne
n21ic1.jpg

Lake Patricia. On the way to Lake Maligne
330gzn6.jpg

Pyramid lake
1zzstat.jpg

Maligne Canyon. This is a beauty. I think they told us it is the deepest Canyon in the world. It has 6 bridges and you can hike to any number depending on how far you can go. Hiking to the first bridges takes about w0 to 40 minutes round trip, whike hiking to the 6th bridge can take up to 3 hours round trip. We hiked to the 4th bridge.
iog0gh.jpg

ziq4ae.jpg

211p1cg.jpg

2hf1f77.jpg

Other good attractions in Jasper include the following below. Also, the visitor center in Jasper has a wealth of information. If it is your first time there, go to the office and your vacation will be well planned out. The workers there are very knowledgeable and will help point you to things you may miss.
This is the old fire station in Jasper. Now a very educational building. Excellent for all ages especially kids.
sncpk8.jpg

Touch skins of real animals; mountain lion, bear, mountain goat, fox, wolverine and others
2s6rgd0.jpg

28r2sgi.jpg

And this is the major attraction downtown
zxtahy.jpg

Jasper was truly memorable. I got the chance to meet with another forum member. Met him and his famiky at their campground in Jasper. We hung out a bit, ate ice cream and talked about overlanding.
34pyzgz.jpg

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I remember that boathouse. Maligne is so pretty. Is it smoky up there right now? Some of your photos look a little hazy. Looks like there's some fires in the area.

Hope you're having a great time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles