USA-CAN-USA, July 2017 (16 US states and 4 Canadian provinces)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
We are planning to head up the west coast all the way into the Yukon after Expo so maybe we will see some of you on the road.

We are planning to head up the west coast all the way into the Yukon after Expo so maybe we will see some of you on the road.

I will be checking your website. Would be cool to meet your rig on this road trip. On your page, your "where are we" does not update as often as I thought. So one can figure out where you guys are. Is there a better way to get updates about your location?

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Wow, what a trip. If it were me, I would hang a right off I-5 at Sedro-Wooley and take the amazing North Cascades Hwy (Hwy 20) over the mountains and into the Okanagan Valley. Then take Hwy 155 to the Grand Coulee Dam (it is spectacular) and from there you can continue south back towards I-84. I'd be doing my best to stay away from the dreaded I-5 through the Puget Sound corridor if it were me.
And yes, a visit to Devil's Tower is a must. If you have never seen it, it can't really be described. (We visited it last year on our road trip through the Western states)

icedragonmx

Adventurer
In SD the wind caves and Needles highway are great and Devils tower is fun to climb!

Winnipeg has the Forks etc. and there is some great off road adventures just East of there (North of Kenora, Ontario) but that would take an extra day.

Near Banff, Alberta, the Heart Creek trail is worth the hike as well as the Johnson Canyon hike. Moraine Lake and Lake Louise and the town of Banff itself are the true tourist stops. Just leave time to do a couple loops waiting for a parking spot.

Before Jasper stop at Tangle Creek Falls and scramble up the left side of the lower falls. Tough trail that needs hands and feet (very short hike). You can stand under the main falls with 99% of the tourist just taking pics from the road.

The drive up to Mount Edith Cavell right by Jasper is worth the time and make sure you hike up to the base of the Glacier+Lake. Great spot for pictures and you don't need any gear, ice cave is just right of the lake at the end of a 1km hike, just walk along the edge of the shoreline to get up to the glacier edge.

Sept2009.jpg

The Giant Cedars Trail in Mount Revelstoke National Parks is a great 1/2hr hike just off the main road (if your in that area)

Squamish BC has some huge cliffs and trails right up to the starts of the climbs.

I have traveled several of the areas you are planing in and have posted pics of the better spots here... http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/132219-New-2014-Xterra-Owner-Icedragonmx-s-trip-reports

Last edited:

scott7022

Nobody
I too would echo the suggestion of following the Fraser River route. It may be ten more hours of driving on a map. You may find the route much quicker traffic wise. Stuck behind a 40 foot class A with a driver who normally drives a four door and is 67+, hey we all get slower with age and eye site no slight intended, can be a real concern. The planned route can be super traffic slow. Something to consider past the line on the map. I lived and travelled both those routes many many times and never made the decision till checking traffic cams and congestion the morning of. Besides the other route is gorgeous and even though I've seen it a hundred times if possible I still spent the gas to go that way if I could. Dodge SRT10 Quad cab was a big gas spend too!

After leaving Jasper, head to Prince George instead of Kamloops, then turn and drive through the Cariboo following the Fraser river all the way to Vancouver. There will be less tourist traffic this way alltho a bit longer distance. The Cariboo has lots of history..the gold rush, old cattle ranching area's...further along is the "canyon"with hells gate. It would add about 10 hours extra driving time but well worth it.
I live just outside of Kamloops and have traveled both routes.
Ross

Ok, you win.

I too would echo the suggestion of following the Fraser River route. It may be ten more hours of driving on a map. You may find the route much quicker traffic wise. Stuck behind a 40 foot class A with a driver who normally drives a four door and is 67+, hey we all get slower with age and eye site no slight intended, can be a real concern. The planned route can be super traffic slow. Something to consider past the line on the map. I lived and travelled both those routes many many times and never made the decision till checking traffic cams and congestion the morning of. Besides the other route is gorgeous and even though I've seen it a hundred times if possible I still spent the gas to go that way if I could. Dodge SRT10 Quad cab was a big gas spend too!

Peer pressure, lol.

But I must thank you guys. Especially @bcram for pointing it out first. I have done some more research and now I do think I will make the sacrifice and go that route. It truly looks scenic from all what I have read and it has some cool history and places to stop at.

I will not lie, I was looking forward to driving the Sea to Sky highway from Whistler, BC to Vancouver, BC, but I guess not now. So, I will adjusting my map again and adjusting my itinerary and be ready for a long day of driving when I leave Jasper for Vancouver. I have to cover that distance in a day. Thank God I see it does not get dark until about 10pm. So, that gives us enough time to drive and make some really quick photoshoot pictures to cover the 16 hours drive on that day which will turn to maybe 20 hours with all the stops.

Hey I don't know if you saw it or not but I responded to your PM.

Thanks a lot for responding. Yes, I did see your PM. And I am taking you on your offer. The whole day; your rig and mine on beartooth highway and some back roads. Thanks a lot for wanting to show me around.

I have some questions, suggestions or some ideas, I will PM you about them.

keane

Observer
Looks Like you have a good trip planned out. I live in Prince George and travel the are quite a bit. Since you are all ready stopping at the gold pan in Quesnel I would recommend going into Wells and Barkerville. (www.barkerville.ca) It will honestly probably take a day to see everything there. They do have a number of good camp sites to stay at. And if you need any help with anything when in the are feel free to message me.

Looks Like you have a good trip planned out. I live in Prince George and travel the are quite a bit. Since you are all ready stopping at the gold pan in Quesnel I would recommend going into Wells and Barkerville. (www.barkerville.ca) It will honestly probably take a day to see everything there. They do have a number of good camp sites to stay at. And if you need any help with anything when in the are feel free to message me.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I looked up Wells and Bakerville, they do look pretty cool, but unfortunately, I will not be able to make it there.

But maybe you can point me in the right direction of a cool place to stop in Prince George for breakfast or brunch and maybe the best one thing to stop in Prince George to admire before I continue on my way.

keane

Observer
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I looked up Wells and Bakerville, they do look pretty cool, but unfortunately, I will not be able to make it there.

But maybe you can point me in the right direction of a cool place to stop in Prince George for breakfast or brunch and maybe the best one thing to stop in Prince George to admire before I continue on my way.

If will talk that one over with my wife and get back to you with a couple ideas.

gluebke

Mounted For Adventure
Hey Calgarian here, lived in Lake Louise for a summer.

HUUUGE recommendation I would make is take highway 93 between Banff and Jasper.
A) no backtracking after moraine lake (mandatory stop)
B) stunning highway with glaciers and mountains and wildlife.

Google says the other way is an hour faster, but it's not even a comparison on a road trip. HWY 93 is beautiful.

In SD the wind caves and Needles highway are great and Devils tower is fun to climb!

Winnipeg has the Forks etc. and there is some great off road adventures just East of there (North of Kenora, Ontario) but that would take an extra day.

Near Banff, Alberta, the Heart Creek trail is worth the hike as well as the Johnson Canyon hike. Moraine Lake and Lake Louise and the town of Banff itself are the true tourist stops. Just leave time to do a couple loops waiting for a parking spot.

Before Jasper stop at Tangle Creek Falls and scramble up the left side of the lower falls. Tough trail that needs hands and feet (very short hike). You can stand under the main falls with 99% of the tourist just taking pics from the road.

The drive up to Mount Edith Cavell right by Jasper is worth the time and make sure you hike up to the base of the Glacier+Lake. Great spot for pictures and you don't need any gear, ice cave is just right of the lake at the end of a 1km hike, just walk along the edge of the shoreline to get up to the glacier edge.

Sept2009.jpg

The Giant Cedars Trail in Mount Revelstoke National Parks is a great 1/2hr hike just off the main road (if your in that area)

Squamish BC has some huge cliffs and trails right up to the starts of the climbs.

I have traveled several of the areas you are planing in and have posted pics of the better spots here... http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/132219-New-2014-Xterra-Owner-Icedragonmx-s-trip-reports

With less than 7 days before I take off on my road trip, I have been doing some last minute updates on my itinerary and want to thank you again for these tips. I will be including them especially Mt Edith Cavell by Jasper. And it seems for all the others, I may be doing about 80% of all that you just listed.

I leave for my trip on July 3rd at 10pm and driving for 24 hours to Grand Forks, ND. Spend the night there and leave in the morning around 8am to cross the USA/Canadian border in daylight and to have time to really visit and enjoy the Forks in Winnipeg.

Hey Calgarian here, lived in Lake Louise for a summer.

HUUUGE recommendation I would make is take highway 93 between Banff and Jasper.
A) no backtracking after moraine lake (mandatory stop)
B) stunning highway with glaciers and mountains and wildlife.

Google says the other way is an hour faster, but it's not even a comparison on a road trip. HWY 93 is beautiful.

My map was a little off. I fixed it. yes, that is the road I have planned and have tons of stops to make on that road. The 4 hours drive will turn to about 10 to 12 hours because I may be stopping like every 30 minutes. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles