US Cross country and down to Panama with kids

lyd

Our family of 4 is setting off on a cross country trip from the New York area and then off to Latin America.We are thinking of driving the full length of Baja California and then continue on to mainland Mexico and south. We are starting out on June 4 from New York. It would be lovely to hook up with fellow travelers along the way or for parts or the whole trip. We are traveling in a Jeep wrangler unlimited with roof top tent. Prefer to avoid roads and organized campgrounds as much as possible. Would love to hear suggestions for places/events/gatherings in June/July along the way.

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, lyd! please keep us updated about your journey.

Have you taken long trips with your family and camper before? A long trip like you describe will require a commitment by all participants.

Traveling with kids will be an asset in Mexico and Central America. In my experience, folks south of the border are strongly family-oriented, and they will be curious and welcoming when they see you're traveling with kids.

Kiwi-Yank

Adventurer
I'm always amazed by the people who just take off from the USA and go cruising through Mexico. A lot of us (Americans) who live in California, Arizona and Texas will not even consider crossing into Mexico. This is not because of racial prejudice (although sadly that does exist). It is because of the high level of violence, kidnapping, and lawlessness in many places in Mexico, especially the north of that country. As an example, see the continued articles published here:

www.borderlandbeat.com

Just the same - a lot of these wandering souls seem to do OK when they ramble through Mexico in jeeps, pickups, and even motorcycles. It's really quite amazing to watch. I definitely would not be taking any family members down there if I was doing it. Anyway - my best wishes to the posters of the current expedition and let me wish you The Best Of British Luck!!!

cheers,
Kiwi-Yank

805gregg

Adventurer
Mexico is safe and fun I just spent 12 days riding my motorcycle from AZ to Copper Canyon and back 1800 miles in Mexico. I felt safe the whole time, Mexico is booming, new trucks, cars and roads everywhere, and I'll be going to PV again in sept

Last edited:

JohnIndenver

I've camped 6 times over the years on the west coast of Mexico in a small remote fishing village. Half of those trips with my children. Trips began when the youngest was 7. One of my children ended up living in the Norte De Sonora area working as a pescador for a year. No problems in Mexico.

I'd recommend getting a cell phone compatible with Mexico telecommunications.

03tacoTRD

I'm planning on leaving around July 15 I'm driving a Toyota taco with roof tent as well. My goal is to reach Guatemala. Message me your plans they sound very similar to mine and I'd like to travel with another group. I'm based out of Ca la area

Awesome! We'll be doing a similar ride down to Panama but we aren't leaving until October. If you come through Los Angeles please get in touch!

docdretoronto

Hi, Guys! our family is flying from Toronto to LA on June 9th to start our way up to Alaska and down to Brazil. We are dad, mom and a 5 year old daughter and would love to get in touch with families doing a similar trip.
Cheers

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
If you need a place to stop in the J-Tree area PM me. We have parking slots for live-in rigs. You can go in our side of the Park, leave out the south, and run straight down to mex w/o going into the mess of LA
;)

. . . sent without me knowing . . .

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
For lots of good information on travel throughout Baja California North and South, go to http://forums.bajanomad.com/index.php

This is an excellent site for travelers and Baja residents alike. You'll get advice, recommendations for places to stay or avoid, and possibly invitations to stay with people from the border to Cabo San Lucas.

My personal recommendation is to go to San Ignacio Lagoon on the Pacific coast, about 500 miles south of the border. During the winter gray whales migrate there to give birth, and it's full of visitors from all over the world. But in the summer it's quiet, a great place for primitive camping, fishing and fresh seafood. It will also be a nice break from the summer heat.

Once you cross over to the eastern coast, the water and the air temperatures go up considerably.

The border region has its share of crime and violence, but once you get south it's a beautiful and safe place to travel. Just exercise the same precautions you would do any place you're not familiar with.

Have fun!

lyd

Thank you all for the wonderful responses and support. I have driven through Mexico in 2001. It was an amazing experience, which I now want to share with my family. My best friend from collage will give us a tour of south Mexico from July 7 onwards. So we will be spending June in the US. Would love to find the best off road trails in Utah, New Mexico, AZ, CA, Colorado, Wyoming, etc.

mph

Expedition Leader
Pm me if u want some spots in Colorado...btw. We will be there June 20-July 7...safe travels!

ssichler

Adventurer
We just got back from two blissful weeks in Cabo Pulmo Mexico on the Sea of Cortez. Amazing how many people thought this was some dangerous expedition. We didn't even have key to our rented casita. Very safe.

8754347694_d13ba3902e_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles