Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Can someone who has a J30 on their jeep take a close up picture of where the windshield frame/rubber weatherstripping meet the J30 top? I’ve recently had some water intrusion after a heavy rain while the jeep was sitting. When I started to drive off my left side(leg, arm, and seat) got soaked as if water had puddled somewhere and the movement of the jeep caused it to basically flood me. I almost think the J30 has somehow shifted causing the windshield gap to possibly widen. Just trying to troubleshoot as it’s never done this before. Any help would be appreciated.
Do you have a JKU or a JLU? What Gen of top do you have? Also would you like the pic with the top on and snugged down or off the Jeep? I'd be happy to oblige but I need to know specifically what you want.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Can someone who has a J30 on their jeep take a close up picture of where the windshield frame/rubber weatherstripping meet the J30 top? I’ve recently had some water intrusion after a heavy rain while the jeep was sitting. When I started to drive off my left side(leg, arm, and seat) got soaked as if water had puddled somewhere and the movement of the jeep caused it to basically flood me. I almost think the J30 has somehow shifted causing the windshield gap to possibly widen. Just trying to troubleshoot as it’s never done this before. Any help would be appreciated.
I'd also bet you a dollar that the water is getting in through the bolt in the front roll bar. It's probably pooling between the hatch and the top inside the rubber seal. When you move the water comes down the bolt hole. You might try a little silicone over the top of the bolt and make sure it isn't loose.

lenny6753

Do you have a JKU or a JLU? What Gen of top do you have? Also would you like the pic with the top on and snugged down or off the Jeep? I'd be happy to oblige but I need to know specifically what you want.
I have a JKU. I'm not sure what Gen top but it is Unit 417 on a 2015 JKUR. I would like to see what the spacing is like where the rubber weather stripping between the top of the window frame and where the Ursa come together. I'm good with pictures of the Ursa deployed or down. There is no water intrusion in the sleeping area of the Ursa as the bedding and headliner is completely dry. I'm now fairly certain the Ursa has not shifted backwards as it appears to be touching the lip at the back of the JKU where the OEM top would rest. I don't think it can be pushed any further forward. I'll try to post a few pictures I took of the area I'm describing(weather stripping between the Ursa and windshield frame). It's difficult to take pictures at that angle.

Attachments

• IMG_7659.jpg
    IMG_7659.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7662.jpg
    IMG_7662.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 37

lenny6753

I guess it's possible the front two bolts(tension bolts???) which lock the front of the Ursa to the roll cage could have loosened some causing the seal between the weather stripping and the Ursa to not be water tight. The bolt that goes through the roll bar with the washers was tight along with the nut on the other side of it locking it to the roll bar. Maybe the tension bolts which are up inside the Ursa(which are difficult to access) have slowly backed out over time causing the seal to be broken. That would cause the water to possibly travel down the bolt hole which would make sense. Thank you for your help. Any pictures would be helpful at this point.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I guess it's possible the front two bolts(tension bolts???) which lock the front of the Ursa to the roll cage could have loosened some causing the seal between the weather stripping and the Ursa to not be water tight. The bolt that goes through the roll bar with the washers was tight along with the nut on the other side of it locking it to the roll bar. Maybe the tension bolts which are up inside the Ursa(which are difficult to access) have slowly backed out over time causing the seal to be broken. That would cause the water to possibly travel down the bolt hole which would make sense. Thank you for your help. Any pictures would be helpful at this point.
Those are the bolts I was referring to and they are known to leak. A little bit of silicon around the top of the head after tightening them will stop it from happening if it is in fact leaking there. Sorry for the late pic. I had planned to get it today when the sun was out but i spaced it! Your top is a Gen 2 top like mine, #408.
unnamed.jpg

lenny6753

Those are the bolts I was referring to and they are known to leak. A little bit of silicon around the top of the head after tightening them will stop it from happening if it is in fact leaking there. Sorry for the late pic. I had planned to get it today when the sun was out but i spaced it! Your top is a Gen 2 top like mine, #408.
View attachment 754993
Thanks for the photo. I’ll see if the silicone helps.

RickLB

Well we are owners of 352 as of yesterday. It should be interesting and hopefully we won’t have the leak issues I’ve read about.
One question, I don’t have any load bars on top, is there a way to run Solar without those load bars?

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Well we are owners of 352 as of yesterday. It should be interesting and hopefully we won’t have the leak issues I’ve read about.
One question, I don’t have any load bars on top, is there a way to run Solar without those load bars?
Yes there is. There are several methods. The one I’ve chosen is using a flexible solar panel that I’ll attach with some 3m double back foam tape. I hope to get the job done as soon as the temps get above 70 degrees. I’ve seen others do it successfully but I have no personal experience yet. Come on spring!

sabjku

Observer

Rick, if you're a JK, then you could do the Cascadia 4x4 hood mounted 100watt solar panel. I've been running that for awhile. Incredibly rugged, and very simple, durable install with heavy duty double sided tape.

Attachments

• IMG_5349.jpeg
    IMG_5349.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8203.JPG
    IMG_8203.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8205.JPG
    IMG_8205.JPG
    551 KB · Views: 34

dmulk

Do you have a Gen 3 with front mounted latches? If so, use some clear E6000 or some silicon to seal up the rivets. Mine had a leak and when I spoke to Chris and Zach it sounded like they would be doing that moving forward but who knows. It solved mine. I tested with some car washes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior