Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

campertramper

I've had some interest over the last year from people who didn't get a set of my Hinge Tamers, so now that things have slowed down a bit I've listed ten sets on eBay. I know that some folks don't do eBay and if you're one of those people you can message me. For those of you who do not know what these are, they are a set of guards I design and built to keep your tent fabric out of the hinge mechanism in JKU and JLU Ursa Minor J30 tops. I've had mine on the top for over a year and they've been great! Here's a youtube link, and a link to the auction.
Awesome! I love mine John and they really work well! Ever since installing mine this year I've had zero issues with the hinges pinching the tent fabric which has made it easier to close and with less worry. It's really a first class mod! I wish that Ursa minor would contract with you to supply them as an option for all new campers.

sabjku

Observer
Uhhh, do you have a solar charge controller between the panel and the battery?
If not, you're killing that battery by overcharging it. Solar panels are NOT designed to be wired directly to batteries.

-Dan
The Cascadia system does incorporate a waterproof charge controller. My mistake, as I should have been more clear in my post and mentioned the charge controller as well. The Cascadia systems are very nice quality, and extremely rugged.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Awesome! I love mine John and they really work well! Ever since installing mine this year I've had zero issues with the hinges pinching the tent fabric which has made it easier to close and with less worry. It's really a first class mod! I wish that Ursa minor would contract with you to supply them as an option for all new campers.
Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad that people like my invention and find it useful. I really strived to make this reasonably priced for those in the Ursa Minor community because I'm one of you and it's a small world. As for Ursa Minor, I wouldn't be surprised if John Gish comes up with a similar mod and puts me out of business! He knew who I was and my invention when I met him at Overland Expo PNW this year, which surprised me to say the least! I've had other ideas for things in the past, but this is the first time that I've acted on the impulse because I needed a solution to my problem and one just flat didn't exist.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Two can sleep upstairs and one (possibly two) can sleep below.

Have you taken it seriously offroad for some really, really big flex? or bad corrugations?
I'm really curious how it will handle the body and the tub flexing apart from each other.

-Dan

campertramper

Hi Friends. This is a bit off topic for this thread, but I'm looking for recommendations for studded 33" winter tires for my JKU. I live in Colorado, it's getting icy and I'm planning some driving in the snow pretty regularly for the next few months to hit the ski resorts. Secondarily, can you recommend some good rims? (I'm thinking about steel Dan, but I'm open). I'm a novice when it comes to tires, I've never had winter or snow tires before and I could really use a few tips wrapping my head around it.

Last edited:

Mules

Have you taken it seriously offroad for some really, really big flex? or bad corrugations?
I'm really curious how it will handle the body and the tub flexing apart from each other.

-Dan
No rock clawing yet, but have about a thousand miles on it. Mostly road and a bit of 4 wheeling. Crossed a few 2 ft ditches and she’s holding up fine. She flexes at the door and sunroof joints a bit.

1000arms

Hi Friends. This is a bit off topic for this thread, but I'm looking for recommendations for studded 33" winter tires for my JKU. I live in Colorado, it's getting icy and I'm planning some driving in the snow pretty regularly for the next few months to hit the ski resorts. Secondarily, can you recommend some good rims? (I'm thinking about steel Dan, but I'm open). I'm a novice when it comes to tires, I've never had winter or snow tires before and I could really use a few tips wrapping my head around it.
You might want to start a new thread with a descriptive title, "I'm looking for recommendations for 33" studded winter tires and rims for my JKU.". Including the tire width and rim size would likely help. Edit a link to the new thread in to your post (that I am quoting), and your request for help will likely be seen by many forum members.

I suggest keeping the tires narrow to bite through the snow on road (and off-road too as long as one can reach the bottom).

Good studded dedicated-winter tires should give you the best tire performance on snow and/or ice covered roads, but you might want to also carry chains.

Last edited:

campertramper

You might want to start a new thread with a descriptive title, "I'm looking for recommendations for 33" studded winter tires and rims for my JKU.". Including the tire width and rim size would likely help. Edit a link to the new thread in to your post (that I am quoting), and your request for help will likely be seen by many forum members.

I suggest keeping the tires narrow to bite through the snow on road (and off-road too as long as one can reach the bottom).

Good dedicated winter tires should give you the best tire performance on snow and/or ice covered roads, but you might want to also carry chains.
Fantastic suggestions - thank you!!

1000arms

Fantastic suggestions - thank you!!
You are welcome! :)

Please note my edit to clarify the studs you mentioned:

"Good studded dedicated-winter tires should give you the best tire performance on snow and/or ice covered roads, but you might want to also carry chains."

Presto88

Adventurer
Has anybody purchased a cover (that they like) for their J30 equipped JKU? I'd like to get one of those covers that just covers the top half of the Jeep - from the bottom of the windows up, but I'm pretty sure that none of the ones available for a standard JKU will fit with that J30 top on there. Any suggestions?

lenny6753

Can someone who has a J30 on their jeep take a close up picture of where the windshield frame/rubber weatherstripping meet the J30 top? I’ve recently had some water intrusion after a heavy rain while the jeep was sitting. When I started to drive off my left side(leg, arm, and seat) got soaked as if water had puddled somewhere and the movement of the jeep caused it to basically flood me. I almost think the J30 has somehow shifted causing the windshield gap to possibly widen. Just trying to troubleshoot as it’s never done this before. Any help would be appreciated.

campertramper

Has anybody purchased a cover (that they like) for their J30 equipped JKU? I'd like to get one of those covers that just covers the top half of the Jeep - from the bottom of the windows up, but I'm pretty sure that none of the ones available for a standard JKU will fit with that J30 top on there. Any suggestions?
Sounds like it would need to be a custom job to fit. That would be a nice product for Ursa Minor to offer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles