Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

mlochowitz

Does anyone know what the difference is between the rear quarter: Solid Quarter Panel vs Quarter Panel - Insert? And any recommendations on the rack option if I'm wanting to stay as low profile as possible but still have the option of mounting some recovery boards or solar in the future? Thanks!

eytonpay

Does anyone know what the difference is between the rear quarter: Solid Quarter Panel vs Quarter Panel - Insert? And any recommendations on the rack option if I'm wanting to stay as low profile as possible but still have the option of mounting some recovery boards or solar in the future? Thanks!

Solid quarter panel is with no back glass, the insert is a little cubby that fits a rotopax or tool box.

I called and asked about the rack rails. I was told they don’t add any height to the top because of the contour of the top the rails are flush with the highest part of the top.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmulk

I love the Mac's versatie system:

PXL_20220521_123312398.jpg

It runs pretty much the full length of the top and provides a LOT of configurability. I had them add the 150Lb struts (and they are no problem closing without a load. VERY glad I went this way).

My plan is to mount my Maxtrax as far forward as possible running the width of the top. I'll then add a flexible solar panel to the rear of the top. Still playing with panels and mounting options but Zach built a very nice mounting bracket for my victron solar controller and pre-plumbed some wire and connectors to the back driver side corner of the top. It's exactly what I wanted. :)

I'll try and post some close up photos of the rails and solar connections later.

-dmulk

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Does anyone know of a product that will take the scratch marks out of the bed liner material on a J30? My daughter drove the Jeep down the side of a tree last year in Moab and it didn't get through the bed liner but it did dull the finish where the limbs were. I believe I seen someone mention one of the 303 products somewhere but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know of a product that will take the scratch marks out of the bed liner material on a J30? My daughter drove the Jeep down the side of a tree last year in Moab and it didn't get through the bed liner but it did dull the finish where the limbs were. I believe I seen someone mention one of the 303 products somewhere but I'm not sure if that's correct.

303 is the stuff to use on the canvas to re-waterproof it (specifically designed for use on Sunbrella). It works great.

For the bedliner I've never found or used anything to make it pretty again.

-Dan

dmulk

303 is the stuff to use on the canvas to re-waterproof it (specifically designed for use on Sunbrella). It works great.

For the bedliner I've never found or used anything to make it pretty again.

-Dan
This stuff is magical....

CERAKOTE Ceramic Trim Coat Kit - Quick Plastic Trim Restorer - Guaranteed Restoration to Last Over 200 Washes – A Ceramic Coating, Not a Dressing https://a.co/e6cnbnt

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Does anyone with a gen 2 J30 top with factory solar have a pic of the pass through for the wiring and where it's located? I aquired a couple solar panels and I'm thinking about installeing them on my roof rack.

trailinghorizons

This thread has so much great information on it! I keep going though it since I am about to attempt a solar install. I am scared to drill through any part of my J30 but I think you all have given me the confidence to work on it this weekend. Ive had all the supplies purchased for a few weeks now.

trailinghorizons

This thread has so much great information on it! I keep going though it since I am about to attempt a solar install. I am scared to drill through any part of my J30 but I think you all have given me the confidence to work on it this weekend. Ive had all the supplies purchased for a few weeks now.
As previous posters have done, I also used parts from DIYvan.com and some 80/20 to mount the panel. Super pleased how it turned out! Thank you again for all the insight from those that offered experience and advice.

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 11.24.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-08 at 11.24.34 AM.png

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I've had some interest over the last year from people who didn't get a set of my Hinge Tamers, so now that things have slowed down a bit I've listed ten sets on eBay. I know that some folks don't do eBay and if you're one of those people you can message me. For those of you who do not know what these are, they are a set of guards I design and built to keep your tent fabric out of the hinge mechanism in JKU and JLU Ursa Minor J30 tops. I've had mine on the top for over a year and they've been great! Here's a youtube link, and a link to the auction.

sabjku

Observer
Very nice! That looks like a beefy panel and I expect it will last longer than the vehicle. How many watts does it produce? I was originally looking at venture4wd's solution with a flexible panel and I'm now looking at this solution: https://www.cascadia4x4.com/collect.../jeep-wrangler-jk-vss-system-hood-solar-panel - has anyone out there tried one of these?

I run the Cascadia panel on my 2016 JKU. It's wired straight to my Odyssey starter battery. Basically serves as a full time battery tender. HIGHLY recommend. This is, by far, the easiest way to add solar to help keep your battery healthy to power basic things like refrigeration, USB ports, etc. I've lived out of my Jeep for the last 4 out of 6 months, and this is the extent of my power system. I do keep a small Bluetti EB55 on board for backup, and to charge drone batteries, phone, etc, when stationary. Too many people over complicate power needs. I get it in some cases, but some of the systems I've seen put together are way overkill, with entirely too many pieces to the puzzle.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I run the Cascadia panel on my 2016 JKU. It's wired straight to my Odyssey starter battery. Basically serves as a full time battery tender. HIGHLY recommend. This is, by far, the easiest way to add solar to help keep your battery healthy to power basic things like refrigeration, USB ports, etc. I've lived out of my Jeep for the last 4 out of 6 months, and this is the extent of my power system. I do keep a small Bluetti EB55 on board for backup, and to charge drone batteries, phone, etc, when stationary. Too many people over complicate power needs. I get it in some cases, but some of the systems I've seen put together are way overkill, with entirely too many pieces to the puzzle.

Uhhh, do you have a solar charge controller between the panel and the battery?
If not, you're killing that battery by overcharging it. Solar panels are NOT designed to be wired directly to batteries.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles