Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

JDaPP

Adventurer
With seats down it is probably about same as goose gear. I usually leave the 40% rear seat up and basically do a partial dip (like the arm/chest exercise) and put my foot on the upper part of the seat to help push up into the top part. I am 5'9" 180 for size reference

autarkus

Really no difference in getting up there with the seats in or a platform like Goose Gear, though I'd recommend folding the seat down before climbing up. Removes the tendency to want to step on the seat back, which can damage the folding mechanism. I removed the 60 side of the 60/40 rear seats to run my own platform and it's about the same on either side.

dmulk

Here's a video supplement for installation of the Hinge Tamers. It's not really professional but I think it may help!
Nice job on the install video, John.

If the guys at UM aren't too busy to install these for me whenever I get my top, I'll try and record a video of the install portion (assuming they already have the top assembled). Timing and communication is tough with them, especially these days as they are super back logged, so we'll see.

campertramper

Here's a video supplement for installation of the Hinge Tamers. It's not really professional but I think it may help!
Thank you for the video supplement John! There is more complexity to the installation then i initially realized and I'm going to have to pick up a few tools and carve out some time for this. Now that it's arrived I'm eager to get it installed!

dmulk

If you've recently received your Ursa Minor J30, what was your order number/date (trying to figure out roughly where I'm at in the timeline. The last report was that someone that ordered 3/31 was supposed to receive his sometime in January but haven't seen an update here yet about that. Trying to gauge the time with selling my existing hard top. Cheers!

that_dude

If you've recently received your Ursa Minor J30, what was your order number/date (trying to figure out roughly where I'm at in the timeline. The last report was that someone that ordered 3/31 was supposed to receive his sometime in January but haven't seen an update here yet about that. Trying to gauge the time with selling my existing hard top. Cheers!
That was probably me. I ordered on 3/31/21. Was last told it should go into production the second week of Jan. My order on Ursa’s website changed to Production Backlog about a week ago. I believe you mentioned yours was saying that before mine did.

For what it’s worth I asked Ursa to do a couple of “extra” things like installing Mac’s Versatie tracks on top and a Cargo Keepers HardBox on one side. Perhaps these slowed my order, which is fine with me. Ursa didn’t hesitate to do these and I was able to have the 3rd party products shipped to them.

I’m also happy to be getting the 3rd gen J30. They posted a J30 fairly recently on their Instagram account and it looks like it’s now using the newer, wider rear glass…not that I can see anything out of the rear window, but it does look a little nicer in my opinion. It also sort of looks like the lip around the base is gone? And perhaps the drip rails are molded in? I couldn’t quite tell from the pic.

Last edited:

dmulk

That was probably me. I ordered on 3/31/21. Was last told it should go into production the second week of Jan. My order on Ursa’s website changed to Production Backlog about a week ago. I believe you mentioned yours was saying that before mine did.

For what it’s worth I asked Ursa to do a couple of “extra” things like installing Mac’s Versatie tracks on top and a Cargo Keepers HardBox on one side. Perhaps these slowed my order, which is fine with me. Ursa didn’t hesitate to do these and I was able to have the 3rd party products shipped to them.

I’m also happy to be getting the 3rd gen J30. They posted a J30 fairly recently on their Instagram account and it looks like it’s now using the newer, wider rear glass…not that I can see anything out of the rear window, but it does look a little nicer in my opinion. It also sort of looks like the lip around the base is gone? And perhaps the drip rails are molded in? I couldn’t quite tell from the pic.
Ah indeed. Was wondering what happened when I didn't see a post back and was hoping things didn't go sideways. Yeah I agree that the PBL status might be related to the custom stuff. I also have a few minor things. I was considering Gear's same racking stuff but I think I'm going to stick with the bars and maybe add a third if needed since the mounting runner is longer these days from what I have read.

I finally heard back from John and he said that he's had issues with various supply chains. Hopefully things smooth out soon for him.

-D

that_dude

Ah indeed. Was wondering what happened when I didn't see a post back and was hoping things didn't go sideways. Yeah I agree that the PBL status might be related to the custom stuff. I also have a few minor things. I was considering Gear's same racking stuff but I think I'm going to stick with the bars and maybe add a third if needed since the mounting runner is longer these days from what I have read.

I finally heard back from John and he said that he's had issues with various supply chains. Hopefully things smooth out soon for him.

-D
And just like that I got a call today from John saying my camper is ready. I asked them to send me the harness so I can pre-install it before going to pick it up. So hopefully I’ll pick it up in the next week or so.

campertramper

I did the same thing with some simple hardware store weatherstripping. I just pulled the soundbar down and applied it the full length of the front edge between the top and the bar. That noise will drive you insane!
Thank you again @Gear and @shays4me! - I bought this foam tape on Amazon for $5, https://amzn.to/3s2qZ14 installed it above the soundbar as both of you suggested and the difference is like night and day. I can't believe how much sound dampening a fix like this could make or actually how bad the problem actually was until i corrected for it. It's almost like driving a different vehicle. I probably would have figured out the solution myself eventually, but your posting on this forum for this topic saved me from a lot of time and effort - one million thank you's - It's so much better now!

dmulk

J30 Winter Insulation kit?

So I was re-watching Chris's (Venture 4x4) goose gear video and he makes mention that there is a J30 Winter Insulation kit available....I've never seen this kit anywhere....anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers
-dmulk

Rydacycle

I just watched that yesterday morning also . and have looked all over and can't find anything about it... would be very interested in buying one.

dmulk

I just watched that yesterday morning also . and have looked all over and can't find anything about it... would be very interested in buying one.
I suspect this is something that John thought about doing, or it was a limited run that never came to market that he mentioned to Chris.
Another interesting product that I would definitely consider purchasing are the zippered mesh pockets that screw into the inside of the top of the camper. I believe Chris had BRO create something like this for him but they never came to market. Looks like UM has a some listed as OOS on their accessory page.

My planned solution will be using a molle panel that I've found on Amazon in it's place to give me some simple overhead slippered pockets.

-D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles