Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

dmulk

Does anyone on here have experience with the AEV fuel caddy? I'm looking into extra fuel options and the fuel caddy looks nice, I'm just curious if I'd be smelling it all night in the top?
Funny coincidence....I just ordered a Titan Trekker ii to replace all the rotopacks I have strapped to my rear tire and clean up the rear end a bit.

I considered the Fuel caddy but I don't have their rear bumper which I believe it requires. I like my anniversary bumpers anyway so...??‍♂️

dmulk

My order still says “pending”. I ordered on 3/31 and was last told mine should go into production around the second week of Jan. I haven’t heard anything else yet.

I have had decent results emailing John and getting a response, but I’ve asked him a few times to ship the harness to me so I can pre-install it, but so far nothing.
Interesting...well maybe it means something different....??‍♂️? Anyway, it definitely switched from Pending recently though....Maybe someone cancelled or something. I was told that there's a very minimal chance that if this happened they might pick a local person to slide into the slot. That said, who knows. They have such a backlog that I have to believe that there's still local people in front of me.

dmulk

Interesting...well maybe it means something different....??‍♂️? Anyway, it definitely switched from Pending recently though....Maybe someone cancelled or something. I was told that there's a very minimal chance that if this happened they might pick a local person to slide into the slot. That said, who knows. They have such a backlog that I have to believe that there's still local people in front of me.
Or maybe it means I'm just part of the pile up and it will be a longer wait. ???‍♂️

dmulk

My order still says “pending”. I ordered on 3/31 and was last told mine should go into production around the second week of Jan. I haven’t heard anything else yet.

I have had decent results emailing John and getting a response, but I’ve asked him a few times to ship the harness to me so I can pre-install it, but so far nothing.
Just curious....did you place your order through the online portal or over the phone? This could be part of their online ordering system....maybe an automated timing thing if it goes past a certain time. ?

that_dude

Funny coincidence....I just ordered a Titan Trekker ii to replace all the rotopacks I have strapped to my rear tire and clean up the rear end a bit.

I considered the Fuel caddy but I don't have their rear bumper which I believe it requires. I like my anniversary bumpers anyway so...??‍♂️
The AEV fuel caddy requires the AEV tire carrier. The AEV tire carrier fits the anniversary bumpers. The Titan tank will work with any carrier and is basically the same as the AEV (I think Titan makes the AEV caddy), but I think the Titan sticks out further. I was going to buy a Titan at one point because I had the Teraflex hinge and carrier already, but I eventually decided I really wanted the water tanks and flat step of the AEV rear bumper so I swapped out my anniversary rear bumper for the full AEV rear bumper, carrier, and fuel caddy—and sold the Teraflex hinge and carrier.

I did look at the Long Range tank, but I seem to remember at the time they weren’t shipping to California. If weight were no object I think it would be sweet to have both.

Just curious....did you place your order through the online portal or over the phone? This could be part of their online ordering system....maybe an automated timing thing if it goes past a certain time. ?
I placed my order online. When I ordered I was told the wait time was 6 months, which would have been Sept/Oct. But hey, at least I’ll be getting the Gen 3! One of their recent posts on Instagram seems to show a J30 with the newer, wider rear glass.

campertramper

. I don't think the foam inside the UM pads is as compressible as a memory foam topper.civmean maybe but memory foam will compress down to almost nothing. I'm definitely sticking with memory foam.
Do you live or camp in a cold climate? I've read that memory foam gets hard in the cold. I'm not sure if it's true or not.

dmulk

Do you live or camp in a cold climate? I've read that memory foam gets hard in the cold. I'm not sure if it's true or not.
I've slept on memory foam for 20 years in my home (Tempurpedic mattress) but I'm in San Diego. The few times a year it gets cold here the foam is extremely firm but seems to warm up and soften quickly. Cheap enough to try out.??‍♂️

dmulk

The AEV fuel caddy requires the AEV tire carrier. The AEV tire carrier fits the anniversary bumpers. The Titan tank will work with any carrier and is basically the same as the AEV (I think Titan makes the AEV caddy), but I think the Titan sticks out further. I was going to buy a Titan at one point because I had the Teraflex hinge and carrier already, but I eventually decided I really wanted the water tanks and flat step of the AEV rear bumper so I swapped out my anniversary rear bumper for the full AEV rear bumper, carrier, and fuel caddy—and sold the Teraflex hinge and carrier.

I did look at the Long Range tank, but I seem to remember at the time they weren’t shipping to California. If weight were no object I think it would be sweet to have both.

I placed my order online. When I ordered I was told the wait time was 6 months, which would have been Sept/Oct. But hey, at least I’ll be getting the Gen 3! One of their recent posts on Instagram seems to show a J30 with the newer, wider rear glass.
I think they were working on the new Gen 3 top around the time you placed your order. I remember seeing the prototype mold around the time you ordered during one of my visits. That's around the time they told me it would be about a 9 month or more wait. I also noticed that the website was showing it for the JKU's while the JLUs seemed to still show 6 months. They told me they were selling over 2 to 1 JL to JK tops so that seemed to be where the priority was going and I'll bet helped push the change to the newer JK Gen 3 (among other reasons they mentioned).

Let me know if your portal every changes between now and the second week of January. I wonder if we both will be in the same batch....just can't imagine though unless someone cancelled. I just hope they got the changes I requested in their notes...after waiting all this time and committing I'm not willing to settle for things like latches in the wrong place for my build, etc.

That said, I know they are a small operation so....sitting tight and excited. Can't believe I sold my tent days after I placed my order...it's been a long 7 months. Didn't expect it to sell that fast and not even advertised. It now lives in Alaska mounted to a Sequoia. ?

MVIMG_20200825_203826.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The Titan tank will work with any carrier and is basically the same as the AEV (I think Titan makes the AEV caddy)

Just to clear that up, that is absolutely, 100% not correct.
AEV designed and manufactured their caddy long before Titan came out with theirs.
AEV continue to make their own, nothing to do with Titan.

-Dan

that_dude

Just to clear that up, that is absolutely, 100% not correct.
AEV designed and manufactured their caddy long before Titan came out with theirs.
AEV continue to make their own, nothing to do with Titan.

-Dan
Thanks for the clarification, Dan. I should have been more clear I wasn’t certain about that. The earlier Titan Trekkers used to look so nearly identical it was hard to imagine one facility wasn’t producing them. The Titan tanks have since tweaked their design—setting the two tanks apart more in looks—perhaps a legal issue if they were copying AEV that closely?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the clarification, Dan. I should have been more clear I wasn’t certain about that. The earlier Titan Trekkers used to look so nearly identical it was hard to imagine one facility wasn’t producing them. The Titan tanks have since tweaked their design—setting the two tanks apart more in looks—perhaps a legal issue if they were copying AEV that closely?

Indeed there was a lawsuit. I don't know the outcome.

-Dan

campertramper

I've slept on memory foam for 20 years in my home (Tempurpedic mattress) but I'm in San Diego. The few times a year it gets cold here the foam is extremely firm but seems to warm up and soften quickly. Cheap enough to try out.??‍♂️
Ah yes, San Diego weather is a climate outlier for sure. The memory foam should be excellent most of the time in San Diego and Sydney where temperatures just never get very cold.

dmulk

Ah yes, San Diego weather is a climate outlier for sure. The memory foam should be excellent most of the time in San Diego and Sydney where temperatures just never get very cold.
Will give it a shot and report back. I tend to travel to some pretty cold places. Should be interesting. ?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles