Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Suprmn1

I have been trying to order one of these for weeks. Before I order I needed to ask a couple of questions. I have called and left messaged and have emailed with no response at all. Cant say that makes me excited to hand over about $10K if I cant get ahold of the people. Any recommendations?

Also, if anyone knows of a used J30 for sale I am very interested. I have a trip in June and would like to have one by then.

Thanks,

rustypayne

Well it isn't a huge corporation with dozens of people answering phones, it's a family business. From my experience it's often just one person and if he's talking on the phone then someone's top isn't getting worked on. Back when I got mine I had the best luck calling around the time they were opening but then I think I only called one time and that was after I had placed my order.

Presto88

Adventurer
Communication is not their strong point. As mentioned above, it's kind of a small operation. My experience dealing with them - both before and after purchase - has been that it's kind of hard to get in touch with them but when you do they really do a good job of taking care of things. They obviously care about their customers and their products.

misterfeathers

Has anybody installed the OVS Nomad 270 LT on the Ursa Minor Top? I'm wondering if there is enough clearance to lock the front clasps without pushing the awning so far back to not cover the back of the rig?

Suprmn1

Well my order is placed via the net. Guess we will see what happens.

If you have recently placed and order you might want to check your credit card. It authorized for payment in full instead of for the 10% deposit on mine. I am in love with the product but this sure has been a rough start.

John was quick to respond on this. They are changing software and all is good. Very happy on the response and cant wait for my J30.

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Has anybody installed the OVS Nomad 270 LT on the Ursa Minor Top? I'm wondering if there is enough clearance to lock the front clasps without pushing the awning so far back to not cover the back of the rig?
I haven’t installed it but I looked at one in person installed on the Lolo overland Jku before it burned. I had my Jeep their and measured and it looked like no problem at all. If I could justify the expense and weight it would definitely be on my list, but I’m happy enough with my arb 2500.

rubicon91

Explorer
Well my order is placed via the net. Guess we will see what happens.

If you have recently placed and order you might want to check your credit card. It authorized for payment in full instead of for the 10% deposit on mine. I am in love with the product but this sure has been a rough start.

Unfortunately you are going to have to call and call. Do not bother leaving a message. John the owner is who will answer. The call goes to Portland. I found in the past mid-late afternoon eastern time I was able to reach him. Also if you are on FB there is a UM page. Kris who is in San Diego as well as John are both members of that group or were before I decided to leave the ole FB. Emails are not always going to get answered either. As was said there are not many employees and John gets inundated with phone calls and emails. I could only imagine how many. The communication issue is nothing new. It goes back years and years. I have had mine for 3 years now and these were all issues back then as well. The product is amazing. I would also post your questions here. Odds are good that someone will most likely know.

sutech

Think I'll chime in a bit. I'm the typical antisocial type on the forums living vicariously though you all. My experience to date has not been by working directly with Ursa Minor proper. I ordered from Backwoods Overland on the east coast. While they don't make them there, they seem to have a consistent stream on order. I snagged an order that was only a couple of months out, jumping the front of the line due to luck. I don't think I would have pulled the trigger if I had to wait 6 months.

I worked with Chris Yuknis through Facebook. Chris and backwoods do have good communication but if it's about a built in progress, they have to wait as well. My JL is now on the train to MD for me to get installed. Maybe I'll record it for those interested?

Gmr213

I have the OVS nomad 270 and it fits almost perfectly. The front of the awning cover just brushes against the front clasp and the rear of the awning extends beyond the rear of the jeep maybe an inch or so.

One thing you will want to think about is where to affix the straps that hold the awning open when in use. For the front strap, I attach it to my snorkel which is surprisingly strong enough to allow me to tighten the strap to keep the awning taught. On the rear, I bolted a small loop thing I had laying around on the flat spot of the jeep. It's just behind the Ursa weather seal so you can't see it when the top is closed, but I can still reach in and attach the strap if using the awning without opening the top. I removed the stock awning strap and replaced it with paracord and a carabiner to make this part work. I tried to include pictures of this.

Another thing to think about is how heavy it is. As sort of a preventative measure, I put that JB weld steelstick stuff in the gap between the Ursa awning block and the rest of the camper. Maybe this helps distribute the weight better?

Either way, I have had this awning installed for pretty much the entirety of last year and it is awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3627.jpg
    IMG_3627.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3729 (1).jpg
    IMG_3729 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83

ventura911

Adventurer
Looking for ideas on how to mount 4 Maxtrax on the roof ahead of my solar panel. Anyone done it?

Here’s how I’m set up now:
7C9A1944-B4EF-4674-8A8B-F1116712058D.jpg

Last edited:

Clymber

Adventurer
I dont have solar on top but. Can you slide the solar back a little. Order some 80/20 from tnutz.com (way cheaper than 8020.net) mount one bar in the rails your solar is in and the other bar in the Yakima mount.

RastaPasta

I have been trying to order one of these for weeks. Before I order I needed to ask a couple of questions. I have called and left messaged and have emailed with no response at all. Cant say that makes me excited to hand over about $10K if I cant get ahold of the people. Any recommendations?

Also, if anyone knows of a used J30 for sale I am very interested. I have a trip in June and would like to have one by then.

Thanks,

I placed my order a few weeks ago and I've gotten... absolutely nothing. Other than the 10% being charged to me, of course. I even reached out via email about next steps in the process and I'm still awaiting a reply. Kinda frustrating, just give me something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles