Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

larock1971

When we picked up our used Ursa Minor, there weren’t any additional parts needed. The previous owner had the wire harness pull from his Jeep before selling it, I wired it after returning home.

RastaPasta

Any thoughts on parts needed?

I don't have one (yet), that's just my knowledge from research and watching videos. I don't think any special tools are needed to install it though. You just have to pop off some of the plastic panels on the interior to run the wiring, but that's not a big deal.

rubicon91

Explorer
Any thoughts on parts needed?

I dont know that you would need any parts from UM for a used one unless something is wrong with that used one. 3 people can lift the top I did it at the 4x4 shop with the help of 2 of them however it would have been really nice to have a 4th person. It was heavy as hell ha! outside of the bolts on the sides in the rear and the 2 bolts up front you have the wiring harness that goes through firewall to battery and a wire that attaches in the tailgate for your 3rd brake light.

rubicon91

Explorer
Thanks! I ordered my J30 last week and am so excited! It will be ready by May which is perfect. We have been sleeping in the Jeep for the past few years and it works well, but I tired of having to take all my gear in and out to setup the bed.

It really isnt that difficult to install. I had mine shipped directly to my 4x4 shop and we did it in about half a day. I took my time unboxing it. I think the worst part to having one shipped is the 10000 screws you have to take out of the box to get to the top. I would make sure you have 2 batteries fully charged as you will need it most likely.

Thehaymon5

I think all I’ll need is the Jeep side of the wiring harness. If I knew for sure the connector involved I’d just make my own. It looks to be a Delphi 3 wire connector from video stills I’ve seen but I am not sure. I’ll be wiring to my SPod anyway.
No answer at Ursa Minor.

May just go ahead and order theirs to be sure.

Install looks easy enough for sure.

Last edited:

Thehaymon5

When we picked up our used Ursa Minor, there weren’t any additional parts needed. The previous owner had the wire harness pull from his Jeep before selling it, I wired it after returning home.
Would you happen to have a good photo of the wiring harness plug?

autarkus

I think all I’ll need is the Jeep side of the wiring harness. If I knew for sure the connector involved I’d just make my own. It looks to be a Delphi 3 wire connector from video stills I’ve seen but I am not sure. I’ll be wiring to my SPod anyway.
No answer at Ursa Minor.

May just go ahead and order theirs to be sure.

Install looks easy enough for sure.

When I had my top installed at the shop, I asked them about wiring it to the SPod. They said it wasn't really necessary, which I agree with after having seen everything done. The top has its own breaker/power switch right above the rear view mirror.

zachgs

Yea, not paying tax would save me about $500 or so even with the shipping cost to NJ. However, the flip side of that is it'd be nice to have it professionally installed. I'm sure I can handle it, but still.

I’m not sure if John is still doing installs out of the Portland shop but that is an option too. That’s what I did about 18 mos ago. It was great to meet John, understand exactly how things were supposed to work, and Oregon has no sales tax!

rustypayne

We wanted to do some winter camping so I got one of those Chinese diesel heaters and made a quick & dirty box so we could take it out for a test. I had about a half gallon of fuel in the tank and that lasted a full 16 hours before running out. Temp only got down to around 30 so it wasn't a really cold night. We had it on the lowest setting and the camper stayed in the 60's all night. I scrunched up the heat duct to shorten it from what is in the photos and need to do some work on that. Overall a very successful test so now I can finish the job and make it look pretty. For just a bit over $100 it works great.

IMG_5690.JPG
IMG_5691.jpgIMG_5692.JPGIMG_5693.jpg

Superpanga

We wanted to do some winter camping so I got one of those Chinese diesel heaters and made a quick & dirty box so we could take it out for a test. I had about a half gallon of fuel in the tank and that lasted a full 16 hours before running out. Temp only got down to around 30 so it wasn't a really cold night. We had it on the lowest setting and the camper stayed in the 60's all night. I scrunched up the heat duct to shorten it from what is in the photos and need to do some work on that. Overall a very successful test so now I can finish the job and make it look pretty. For just a bit over $100 it works great.

View attachment 637664
View attachment 637665View attachment 637666View attachment 637667
Awesome. Just about finished putting something like that together for our rtt- glad to know it works!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles