Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

86scotty

Cynic
Anyone know the differences between the early J30 and the more recent ones built for the JK? Looking at these pictures it appears the early tops were possibly smaller/lower in height, more cut outs/slots on the sides of the newer ones, and possibly didn't have the same body shape? Just curious how the design evolved over time and they why?

I know the answer but I'm not going to tell you. You have to read this entire 150 page thread to get the answer, and a lot of other answers you will love to questions you didn't know you had. You owe it to yourself, it's the only known history and info source for these tops and it's right here in front of you. Congratulations.

Clymber

Adventurer
I have been waiting for Ursa to get some 140# struts in and im still waiting. Anyone have any clue where to get some. Or something that would work

86scotty

Cynic
I have been waiting for Ursa to get some 140# struts in and im still waiting. Anyone have any clue where to get some. Or something that would work

I fooled around with Westfalias for awhile. There are a few aftermarket companies that sell higher rated struts for those pop tops. I do not know if the lengths would be anywhere close but it might be worth a Google search or phone call.

J G

I know the answer but I'm not going to tell you. You have to read this entire 150 page thread to get the answer, and a lot of other answers you will love to questions you didn't know you had. You owe it to yourself, it's the only known history and info source for these tops and it's right here in front of you. Congratulations.

Bruce_B

I replaced my gas springs a few months ago. The label on the original struts said "Lucid LG3-2800-MS2-120-37017". I found Lucid at http://www.gas-spring.biz/index.htm. Their web site was a little ambiguous, but I e-mailed them and got a quick response, they were able to provide replacements of the same part number. I don't know the rating in pounds, it may not be the 120 number because the factory force ratings are in newtons (4.448 newtons = 1 pound). I thought my original struts were just worn out, but the new ones were no improvement so I probably need a higher force rating.

larock1971

Looks like Ursa Minor's parts website have the 100, 120, and 150 struts listed again.

Clymber

Adventurer
Looks like Ursa Minor's parts website have the 100, 120, and 150 struts listed again.

I ordered the 150s last week waiting for the delivery. Cant wait. It will be fun to open it up without giving myself a hernia

Pixler

If you don't have any additional weight on your roof, you will have a hard time to close it with the 150s.
We went from 100 to 120s....and if the roof is unloaded, it is already hard to close it.

Clymber

Adventurer
If you don't have any additional weight on your roof, you will have a hard time to close it with the 150s.
We went from 100 to 120s....and if the roof is unloaded, it is already hard to close it.
I have a roof rack on all the time and currently have 120 on there and its a pain in the ass to open and to close as soon as i remove the support pole inside it would crash down if I'm not inside and lowering it.

Yuke

Adventurer
I may have a new in stock unit available in Maryland at our shop Backwoods Overland (Ursa Minor Dealer) as a customer may not be able to pick it up with everything thats going on (covid). Options are below. PM me if interested.

- standard black shell
- full textured black top
- solid quarter panels
- 12v and USB in header
- 12v and USB in sleeper
- Navigator Headliner Organizer
- Rear Load Bay LED lighting
- 4x Driver Side Awning Mounts

Dchicaboomer

I may have a new in stock unit available in Maryland at our shop Backwoods Overland (Ursa Minor Dealer) as a customer may not be able to pick it up with everything thats going on (covid). Options are below. PM me if interested.

- standard black shell
- full textured black top
- solid quarter panels
- 12v and USB in header
- 12v and USB in sleeper
- Navigator Headliner Organizer
- Rear Load Bay LED lighting
- 4x Driver Side Awning Mounts
how much are you asking for it?

JB30

About to install some basic front runner rails on the roof. Before I commit and start drilling’...

Tempted to run the rails between the bolts / washers that hold the hinge / strut hardware and the first “rib” of the roof (red line in pic... not tape measure). That way I can avoid drilling into the bracket that holds said hardware underneath.

3E3D470D-2C7B-4DEE-8B57-C89013932F32.jpeg

Anyone who’s installed their own rails / rack and have stories to tell?

Last edited:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
About to install some basic front runner rails on the roof. Before I commit and start drilling’...

Tempted to run the rails between the bolts / washers that hold the hinge / strut hardware and the first “rib” of the roof (red line in pic... not tape measure). That way I can avoid drilling into the bracket that holds said hardware underneath.

View attachment 594999

Anyone who’s installed their own rails / rack and have stories to tell?

B06D40A9-D94E-41FA-87F7-F840FA6C87D2.jpeg

I drilled through the Mac’s Custom Tie Down VersaTie L Track and mounted it copying the existing bolt holes from the lifting mechanism. Definitely a little more work, but the results are nice and clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles