Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

JDaPP

Adventurer
Somebody posted the wiring instructions but I can't seem to find them so you might try searching for them or reaching out Ursa Minor. For what it's worth I have never found a way to access behind that switch.
This video may have something in it but it is mostly a installation video:

Last edited:

Presto88

Adventurer
That switch cuts all power to the very top. If you have lights or 12v in the lower part those should work without the switch (at least they do on mine).
That is weird that the negative runs to the battery, mine is grounded at the bottom of the b pillar.
Yeah, mine was that way too. When I couldn't get things to work, my first attempt at fixing it was to solder an extension onto that ground wire and then run it out to the battery. Last summer when I was installing a CB antenna I had grounding issues, so that was the first thing that I suspected.

Presto88

Adventurer
I don't have lights or 12v in the lower part, so I can't test that.

I never hooked up the white wire because I didn't see the need for another brake light, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.

Thanks for the advice and link to the video, JDaPP. I think I'll drop Ursa Minor a line next week to see if they have any suggestions or a wiring diagram or something. If not, well, then I'll just keep camping the way I've been doing it! The thing is, every time I'm up there and seeing those nice reading lamps I want to get this thing working!

JARunning

I don't have lights or 12v in the lower part, so I can't test that.

I never hooked up the white wire because I didn't see the need for another brake light, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.

Thanks for the advice and link to the video, JDaPP. I think I'll drop Ursa Minor a line next week to see if they have any suggestions or a wiring diagram or something. If not, well, then I'll just keep camping the way I've been doing it! The thing is, every time I'm up there and seeing those nice reading lamps I want to get this thing working!
This is the manual that came with mine if it helpsView attachment 06-01-17 J30 Installation Guide.pdf

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Presto88

Adventurer
Hey, thanks for that JARunning. That version is much improved over the hard copy that came with my top! It doesn't really tell me anything I didn't already know regarding this problem I'm having, but I'm going to keep the pdf in my Jeep folder for future reference.

JARunning

I am surprised this hasn’t been shared yet. The JL tops are finally in production!

That looks like perhaps a bit more clearance at the front, and molded in drip rails. sweet!

Also, shameless plug for the ad on my Jk & J30 if anyone is looking:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Has anyone on here modified the latches up front to accommodate a larger awning? Are the latches stainless steel or will the rust if i cut them? I really like the new ARB aluminum awning and I'm thinking of going that route.

86scotty

Cynic
They are stainless and I'm pretty sure you can cut them with no problems. I'm assuming you mean shorten them where flipping them will clear your awning? I actually just moved mine to the front corners but I was Raptoring my top so the fiberglass work was completely covered after.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
They are stainless and I'm pretty sure you can cut them with no problems. I'm assuming you mean shorten them where flipping them will clear your awning? I actually just moved mine to the front corners but I was Raptoring my top so the fiberglass work was completely covered after.

Yes, that's what I meant. I was looking at them and they're not really that tight to flip down so I think I can shorten one and it will still be functional.

JDaPP

Adventurer
The design was tweaked as Ursa Minor went but I have 007 and the changes that I saw were a switch to stainless hardware, the very top section was redesigned so that the very front had a different slant/more aerodynamic nose, it opened up taller, cutouts were added for awnings. I am sure there are more but those are the ones I know about.

sabjku

Observer
Beyond excited that my top should be shipping in the next day or 2, along with another j30 to our shop for a customer build.

Dude I'm excited for you! I'll pull the trigger one of these days! Let me know when it's showing up. I'd be more than happy to lend a hand if you guys need another person, and wouldn't mind checking out the install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles