Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Bruce_B

Awesome thanks Dan.
Anyone have vendor info or part numbers for replacement struts? Mine have been very weak from the beginning. I have the Yakima rack, but had to remove the rear crossbar and move the front crossbar all the way forward in order to attach a pair of maxxtrax under the front crossbar. I can still just barely lift the top, even with a push bar added to the lid.

20200202_094852.jpg

biedron

Anyone have vendor info or part numbers for replacement struts? Mine have been very weak from the beginning. I have the Yakima rack, but had to remove the rear crossbar and move the front crossbar all the way forward in order to attach a pair of maxxtrax under the front crossbar. I can still just barely lift the top, even with a push bar added to the lid.

You can get them through the ursaminorparts website:

They have various load ratings available that might help with heavier loads on top.

Bob

Bruce_B

Thanks. I found the tiny menu button there after I posted here. Says all are out of stock except the 100 lb, which is probably what I already have.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Is anyone running a batwing awning on their Ursa minor and if so what model? I'm starting to look around and not sure if I want to go with the batwing or just an ARB 2 meter standard. There needs to be room for four people. The only thing that will definitely need to go for the batwing is my CB antenna mounted on the tire rack.

JB30

I have the compact batwing, and love it. But not sure I’d recommend it based on your needs. Hard to really gauge in these pics, but I’d suggest it’s best suited for 2 people. Maybe the full size would work? Still though... a classic awning will likely give you way more usable floor space.

347EF735-A138-45C0-B55C-8B9DDDDB2348.jpeg
9865A87F-235A-40E0-BEBC-392B707D9E1C.jpeg

Is anyone running a batwing awning on their Ursa minor and if so what model? I'm starting to look around and not sure if I want to go with the batwing or just an ARB 2 meter standard. There needs to be room for four people. The only thing that will definitely need to go for the batwing is my CB antenna mounted on the tire rack.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I have the compact batwing, and love it. But not sure I’d recommend it based on your needs. Hard to really gauge in these pics, but I’d suggest it’s best suited for 2 people. Maybe the full size would work? Still though... a classic awning will likely give you way more usable floor space.

Thank you so much! The pics really help. I'd been looking at the compact and wondering but I just hadn't seen one installed on a JKU to get an idea for how it would be. I think you're right on the best suited for two people so I'll be looking into standard awnings. I can't thank you enough for the post!!

JARunning

Full-size batwing on mine. Love it.
b7a78f9d1f9b22587977ea82b273ad15.jpg
97d8e82c8d8bdaff0300ddd43f2c04a2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Presto88

Adventurer
I need some advice.

I bought my J30 almost 4 years ago. When we were installing it, I was kind of in a hurry so I didn't bother hooking up the electrical connection - I just left the wires hanging in the passenger side B-pillar. Now here I am almost 4 years later with 50 nights or so spent in the thing without being able to use the lights or the charging ports up in the tent. Yesterday I decided it was time, so I fished out the wires and connected them up to the battery. But nothing works. There appears to be a small light on the switch located in the middle of the roof (above the windshield), but the light doesn't come on when I flip the switch.

I can trace the wires up the B-pillar and into the J30, they slide into a sleeve built into the canvas side of the tent, but I lose them after that. I'd like to test the wires at that switch above the windshield, but don't really see an easy way to access them. Any suggestions that people have would be welcomed. Thanks!

Presto88

Adventurer
Did you check the wire running to the battery? When I have had a problem that has usually been the issue.

Yes, both of the wires from the top (positive and ground) are running directly to the battery. Well, I have an inline fuse on the positive, but the fuse isn't blown. I'm VERY confident that power is making its way up to the J30, but it doesn't seem to be making it all of the way to that switch. I'm assuming that everything runs through the switch, right? I mean, if things were running correctly then turning off that switch would kill all the lights and outlets in the entire J30 top, correct?

So what I'm really asking about is does anyone know the easiest way to get to the wiring behind that switch?

JDaPP

Adventurer
That switch cuts all power to the very top. If you have lights or 12v in the lower part those should work without the switch (at least they do on mine).
That is weird that the negative runs to the battery, mine is grounded at the bottom of the b pillar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles