Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

that_dude

Hoping to order a J30 this year. Any owners, after using the top for a while, have any options you wish you did or didn’t do—or likewise—an option you’re absolutely glad you did?

JDaPP

Adventurer
Hoping to order a J30 this year. Any owners, after using the top for a while, have any options you wish you did or didn’t do—or likewise—an option you’re absolutely glad you did?
I would get the open version like Dan (2 years around Africa) and I would not get windows if I had to do it again. I have the lights and pockets on mine and have been very pleased with them.

rustypayne

I'd probably have gotten the brackets for a roof rack. Very happy with the pockets and lights, I also got the driver side awning that I don't use much. I did not get windows and don't miss them. I put solar on myself although it is scary drilling a hole through it.

ratled

Adventurer
I would get the open version like Dan (2 years around Africa) and I would not get windows if I had to do it again. I have the lights and pockets on mine and have been very pleased with them.
They are not doing that, Dan's version, anymore... too busy

that_dude

Here’s how I think I’d order mine:
Black textured shell body
white gel coat roof top
tinted quarter glass left and right
sleeper 12v outlet
headliner
load bay lighting
No wiper rear glass

I’m not sure on the roof rack or awning mounts. I might add a compact Rhino Rack batwing on the driver side.

On the roof top lid I’m most undecided. I‘m leaning toward the standard white gel coat because I like the contrast and my Jeep is white. However, I like the idea of the durability of full textured top. I’d almost prefer if there were an option to coat the top but leave the perimeter uncoated rather than the other way around. Alternatively I’ve thought about a vinyl wrap over the gel coat roof top.

larock1971

I bought my J30 used, it had no options installed. But since picking it up, I had the top Line-X'ed, added roof rack, wired up solar, installed the brackets and awning to the passenger side, ran a USB outlet to the sleeping area, installed the Ursa Minor headliner organizer, and added a light to the cargo area. My point, if you're undecided about an item you can add it later, probably cheaper too.

(note - Ursa Minor's Parts website sells the headliner organizer and awning brackets, but it's hit or miss when you can find them available. Also if I was planning for a Batwing I'd have UM install all four brackets.)

Last edited:

JB30

I did black textured body, white gel coat top. Map organizer, usb in camper, pass side window, blank drivers side. Love it all. Only thing I added after (that was a pain in the ass) were awning mounts. I'd get them done from the shop. I'd also prob get them to do roof racks as well.

KellyM

Adventurer
white gel coat roof top
sleeper 12v outlet
headliner
load bay lighting
No wiper rear glass

I’m not sure on the roof rack or awning mounts. I might add a compact Rhino Rack batwing on the driver side.

On the roof top lid I’m most undecided. I‘m leaning toward the standard white gel coat because I like the contrast and my Jeep is white. However, I like the idea of the durability of full textured top. I’d almost prefer if there were an option to coat the top but leave the perimeter uncoated rather than the other way around. Alternatively I’ve thought about a vinyl wrap over the gel coat roof top.

Here is what you described looks like. We been very happy with ours over the last 6 years.
white gel coat roof top
sleeper 12v outlet
headliner
load bay lighting
No wiper rear glass

Here is what your anticipated order would look like.

IMG_20180202_153833 (2).jpg

It has worked well for us for the last 6 years. I personally like having the windows. If I did it again, I would add USB outlets to the sleeping area to go with the 12 volt sockets I had installed in there. I also would get the sliding windows with screens. They were not an option when we ordered ours in 2013. The J30 is a well designed and well executed setup. My wife and I were just discussing how well the J30 has held up over the years. That's not true for a lot of products these days. Good luck with your decisions.

that_dude

Here is what you described looks like. We been very happy with ours over the last 6 years.

Here is what your anticipated order would look like.

View attachment 564190

It has worked well for us for the last 6 years. I personally like having the windows. If I did it again, I would add USB outlets to the sleeping area to go with the 12 volt sockets I had installed in there. I also would get the sliding windows with screens. They were not an option when we ordered ours in 2013. The J30 is a well designed and well executed setup. My wife and I were just discussing how well the J30 has held up over the years. That's not true for a lot of products these days. Good luck with your decisions.

Thanks for the pic. and feedback. It does look great. I have thought about the sliding windows—maybe even one sliding and one solid—to be able to vent the lower half for sleeping below.

With limited visibility out of the rear window due the the spare and AEV fuel caddy, I think I value the visibility of the quarter windows over the privacy of solid panels.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have the AEV and the fuel caddy from Titan. The rear windows are still not worth having. I briefly had a j180 with no windows and my wife liked the no windows alot better. She liked the privacy and said the windows were a distraction when driving because you try to look out without much success. For me I didn't know we had windows because back is always stuffed when I drive it on a trip (damn kids).

rustypayne

I don't miss the rear windows at all. My old hardtop rear windows were covered in stickers and unless you actually turn around in your seat they're barely visible anyways.

rubicon91

Explorer
white gel coat roof top
sleeper 12v outlet
headliner
load bay lighting
No wiper rear glass

My favorite or glad I added all of them are the Dual USB ports up and downstairs the 12 V outlet up and down stairs and the awning brackets drivers side and rear. I have had Ipad Cell Phone camera and other electronics all charging at the same time while driving without worry as there are so many ports now on the bottom. Up top I use a fan in the 12 volt at night and it is nice to put your cell phone on a charger on the other side to charge back up with. I went with no windows as well. I do not miss the ability to see out of the passenger side window. In fact long before I got the J30 I had a 2012 with a soft top and I had a 2nd set of windows sewed without the plastic in them so I could run with them all the time. I hated the issue of side windows being scratched. I could easily pull off the sides throw in back and quickly put back on without any worries. So for me not having the side windows was a no brainer. I use both my awnings all the time when I am out. Shade or inclement weather. I like having one on the side and one on the rear so i can dictate which to open. I didnt want the batwing or any like that for the side. I used to run a road shower off the rear one with some L Brackets as well. Worked perfectly.

I have the Yakima base on top. I have not used it anywhere near as much as I thought I would in the 2 years of owning the J30 and now that my Jeep has the new lift 4.5 AEV and all on it I could not even imagine having to climb and get a kayak or paddle board off the top. What a PITA that would be so I probably would not do the base. I also had the battery meter put in. I have dual batteries and that thing I have no idea which it is registering I actually don't even bother with it. I only got it as a nice option if I ever sold the top. It was $50 add on so in the grand scheme of what you are paying $50 didn't seem to matter. The rear light I also do not use that often either. With the Goose Gear Camp Kitchen and drawer system with a box on top it doesn't allow for much light but I can see the benefit of it if your rear area was empty.

Anyways those are my opinions from just shy of 2 years owning mine. I love it and do not regret the purchase or expense of it at all!

Jtree

I’ve listed my JK/J30 in the Expo Member classified section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier