Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

86scotty

Cynic
That's a total waste and a gross exploitation of knowing that people will buy anything you make for a Jeep. Those won't get you nearly high enough to get on the roof and the fender works just fine for a step anyways. My wife and I have been climbing on ours for months. No problems.

I'm a fan of everything AEV has ever made but I find this completely silly.

JB30

Question #482.

How much weight have people put on the roof with the stock roof struts?

And while we’re at it, anyone replaced said struts after the fact?

Looking to add a Front Runner roof rack (fairly light considering - I *think* ~70 lbs) some extra fuel, couple maxtrax, and a couple bundles of firewood. Imagine the stock struts might start to complain a little.

JARunning

Question #482.

Looking to add a Front Runner roof rack (fairly light considering - I *think* ~70 lbs) some extra fuel, couple maxtrax, and a couple bundles of firewood. Imagine the stock struts might start to complain a little.
I've had my Yakima roof rack with two mountain bikes on the roof.
Super stable when closed, and fine when open and locked with the bar inside, but took a little extra effort to get it opened up with the bikes still on there.
That was ~80lbs, and at least with the stock struts I wouldn't have been too happy about opening it with any more weight.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Question #482.

I had the stock struts, and was running very light flexible solar panels. I upgraded them to regular "heavy" panels, and about six months later the roof got very hard to open, the struts weren't up to it.
John sent me a set of the heavy duty struts and I upgraded them in about half an hour, and it's been fantastic ever since (about 2.5 years of daily use)

Installing the struts yourself is a bit tricky, I used a ratchet strap to compress them *just* the right amount to get them on. Take your time, don't try to force it.

-Dan

JB30

I had the stock struts, and was running very light flexible solar panels. I upgraded them to regular "heavy" panels, and about six months later the roof got very hard to open, the struts weren't up to it.
John sent me a set of the heavy duty struts and I upgraded them in about half an hour, and it's been fantastic ever since (about 2.5 years of daily use)

Installing the struts yourself is a bit tricky, I used a ratchet strap to compress them *just* the right amount to get them on. Take your time, don't try to force it.

-Dan

Awesome thanks Dan.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Poor mans popup!

e37c97a05d724a3d576867c4f6b867aa.jpg

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I just got my top installed in Portland by John on Tuesday morning. I finally realized why he's hard to get in touch with! He was talking to customers on a head set the entire time he installed my top. I thought it would be a fairly quick installation, since I prewired the Jeep and showed up with a soft top, but John was three and a half hours installing it and he really took his time fitting everything and making sure the doors sealed up properly. I know he did a good job fitting it because it dumped rain in the gorge like it did on Noah driving home. I'm happy to report that there were no drips anywhere! We did notice that my climate control works much better than it did with the factory hard top and my Old Man Emu medium heavy springs were tamed with the weight of the top. It rode like a buckboard with the soft top! I did learn a couple things in the experience that I'd like to pass on. It took four months for delivery from my order date. That's a little longer then four to six weeks. I didn't pester them about it, I just dealt with it. I now know that if you are calling them, you are slowing things down. I figure it takes what it takes and it's such a nice quality product that's one of a kind. If you can't wait buy a used one or don't get one. It was worth the wait. My face hurts from smiling so much on the drive home! The second thing I learned is to know what you want when you order it. I called and wanted my front latches installed above the windshield in production after my initial order so I would have room for a bigger awning. That was missed in production and the top was sent to Portland built to the original specs. It was ok in the end because after weighing my Jeep I do not feel I want a batwing awning now. I'm going to go for a standard one due to weight. Could it have been a problem? yes! I'm not going to let it bother me though because I should have decided what I wanted when I ordered. The third thing I learned is that the maximus-3 GPS antenna relocation bracket totally works with my factory GPS unit and my new top. I am very happy about that since I didn't want to drill a hole in my cowl that I paid so much money for! Overall it was a great experience and I hope we get to make many memories with the Ursa Minor J30! Oh, and one plus of the Portland installation is that there's a Cabelas at the same I-5 off ramp in Tualatin!
!IMG_1738.JPG

rustypayne

Great looking rig, you're going to love the J30. Just wait until someone comes up in a rest area wondering what the heck that is on top of your Jeep and in less than 30 seconds you can pop it up and show off :)

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Does anyone have any suggestions about where to get a set of seat covers that completely cover the back side of my rear bench seat? I think it may have just turned into a high traffic area and I want to protect it. My seats are leather and removing them isn't an option.

rubicon91

Explorer
Does anyone have any suggestions about where to get a set of seat covers that completely cover the back side of my rear bench seat? I think it may have just turned into a high traffic area and I want to protect it. My seats are leather and removing them isn't an option.

Bartact seat covers all day long. I have used them in my jeeps for the last 8 years. They do not fade and handle everything! Congrats on the J30.

rubicon91

Explorer
Thanks, I'll check them out!

You can find takeoffs for cheaper look for ones that are 2013 or newer. Those are the ones that will fit your Jeep. If not PM if you want I can give you a code that gives you a discount at a vendor if you do not have one or know any. But I would marketplace or CL first and see about someone pulling them off and getting rid of Jeep.

Yuke

Adventurer
If anyone on the east coast is looking for a J30 or build work associated with the camper my shop Backwoods Overland in Maryland is now offering the campers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online