Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Lightholder

Looking forward to getting my J30 late summer/early fall up in Portland. Back home, space is at a premium and (assuming I work out a repeatable method to get the top on and off) I'm wondering if the top can be rested against a wall vertically for storage, or does it need to sit horizontally (like it would be when mounted on the Jeep)? Most of the posts I've seen here involve fancy counterweights or lifts...but even the ones where it's resting on sawhorses, etc, show it being stored horizontally. Anyone know if vertical storage is possible?

Last edited:

sbly

Observer
We upgraded to a J30 about 9 months ago and have been pretty happy so far. Does anybody know if a Gobi light bar (stealth) will work with the J30?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Looking forward to getting my J30 late summer/early fall up in Portland. Back home, space is at a premium and (assuming I work out a repeatable method to get the top on and off) I'm wondering if the top can be rested against a wall vertically for storage, or does it need to sit horizontally (like it would be when mounted on the Jeep)? Most of the posts I've seen here involve fancy counterweights or lifts...but even the ones where it's resting on sawhorses, etc, show it being stored horizontally. Anyone know if vertical storage is possible?

I have never seen one stored vertically. The front sawhorses are mandatory because there is no t-top removal panels on the Ursa Minor. It will tilt forward most likely putting stress on the lower edge of the fiberglass. I would love to be able to remove mine at will, but run into the same issue storage and easy of removal.

rubicon91

Explorer
We upgraded to a J30 about 9 months ago and have been pretty happy so far. Does anybody know if a Gobi light bar (stealth) will work with the J30?
I don't see why it would not fit. Venture4wd runs the kargo master bar up front without any issues. Having had a gobi before the j30 I would say it would fit not problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

rubicon91

Explorer
After we left Portsmouth island we explored Croatan NF in NC and found a great spot to camp for the night. No one anywhere. Also got to see an Osprey flying back to cherry point. That was cool to see fly overhead.
a1dd99b2f3b24f391d8f072bc03b4494.jpg
3b94eb4d09b22898c7dbf68f70acdb98.jpg
7a65f8586467a0c9c1d56485c35a6dd6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff

The top is very heavy and awkward... I think you would have a tough time trying to set it on its end like that. When I purchased mine used, we met the seller 1/2 way and it took 5 guys to transfer it from 1 jeep to the other. I have a winch system to remove mine and have set it on the floor with a saw horse to support the front and cannot imagine trying to maneuver it onto it's end. It is just too large, heavy and fragile.

Lightholder

The top is very heavy and awkward... I think you would have a tough time trying to set it on its end like that. When I purchased mine used, we met the seller 1/2 way and it took 5 guys to transfer it from 1 jeep to the other. I have a winch system to remove mine and have set it on the floor with a saw horse to support the front and cannot imagine trying to maneuver it onto it's end. It is just too large, heavy and fragile.

View attachment 514210
I suspected as much. Nice winch system! Do you end up pulling it off seasonally or more often now that you have a system to do so?

I wonder if something like one of these is at all feasible? https://www.topliftpros.com/

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I suspected as much. Nice winch system! Do you end up pulling it off seasonally or more often now that you have a system to do so?

I wonder if something like one of these is at all feasible? https://www.topliftpros.com/

I made one using a 110V winch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M22RUZY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ws40Cb12P979T mounted to the opposite wall, para cord and some pulleys.
It works great! It is no more trouble to remove than the factory hard top.
I can't speak about that other top lift but I would think that it will not be enough for the J30

Last edited:

Lightholder

I made one using a 110V winch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M22RUZY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ws40Cb12P979T mounted to the opposite wall, para cord and some pulleys.
It works great! It is no more trouble to remove than the factory hard top.
I can't speak about that other top lift but I would think that it will not be enough for the J30

Thanks. I actually just rang those guys - their lift is built for up to 300lbs, but they have a heavier-duty one coming later this year they say would be their choice for something like the Ursa Minor. Seeing that I'm not getting my top until late summer/early fall, maybe I'll check back with them then and see what's up :)

rustypayne

I'd also be concerned with where the balance point is on the J30, seems like it would be forward of a normal hard top and you'd need to be sure that rolling lift had a long enough base to not be tippy.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
Overland Expo is less than a week away!
Who is going?
I would assume that John and Ursa minor will be in the vendor area.
Any other J30 owners want to try to camp together?

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Overland Expo is less than a week away!
Who is going?
I would assume that John and Ursa minor will be in the vendor area.
Any other J30 owners want to try to camp together?

I had plans to go, but I registered too late. Wanted the full camping experience and it was sold out so I will plan earlier for next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles