Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

rustypayne

PET77 I sent a crappy iPhone scan to that email address of the installation instructions I’ve got from Ursa Minor. Let me know if that works!

Could you PM me a copy of that too? Mine was installed at Ursa Minor but I didn't watch them so I really don't know where things connect. I'm not planning to take it off anytime soon but if I ever do it might make for less bumbling around.

JB30

Anyone here added roof racks after the fact? Looking to add a little kayak to the rig, and I was foolish enough to not tick the roof rack box during build.

JARunning

Could you PM me a copy of that too? Mine was installed at Ursa Minor but I didn't watch them so I really don't know where things connect. I'm not planning to take it off anytime soon but if I ever do it might make for less bumbling around.
Install guide from mine last year attached, for anyone else too.View attachment 06-01-17 J30 Installation Guide.pdf

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

rubicon91

Explorer
its 8 bolts 3 on each side and 2 up front from there a quick release for the electrical. Only things on initial install besides the 8 bolts were wiring to tailgate for brake light and through fire wall to battery for the electrical. Install instructions should say have 2 batteries fully charged to take the 3000 screws out of the box to unload the J30 ha.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
Anyone heading to Easter Jeep Safari?
I am heading out Sunday early and planning to be there most of the week!
would love to hang out with other J30's!

larock1971

Anyone here added roof racks after the fact? Looking to add a little kayak to the rig, and I was foolish enough to not tick the roof rack box during build.

I added a roof rack to my J30. Because I already had several Yakima roof racks for other vehicles I installed their Yakima 54" Tracks with CapNuts. I used three of the lift mech bolts/holes (I drilled out the track to match and buy longer bolts), then drilled holes through the top, gooped some sealant, and tightened the CapNuts. Works well for my purpose.

Presto88

Adventurer
Wow, LARock, your Jeep is remarkably similar to mine! I also ordered my J30 in all black without any side windows. Since this picture was taken, I've added a 2.5" lift and some bigger tires and a decent pair of sliders. I love the red/black combo!

JB30

I added a roof rack to my J30. Because I already had several Yakima roof racks for other vehicles I installed their Yakima 54" Tracks with CapNuts. I used three of the lift mech bolts/holes (I drilled out the track to match and buy longer bolts), then drilled holes through the top, gooped some sealant, and tightened the CapNuts. Works well for my purpose.

View attachment 510205View attachment 510209View attachment 510210View attachment 510211
Beauty. Exactly what I'm looking to do. Thanks for the pics

ivers

Observer

View attachment 510205View attachment 510209View attachment 510210View attachment 510211

Where did you pass you wire for the solar panel, throught the roof?

rustypayne

Did you put bigger struts on the J30 when you added the rack?

86scotty

Cynic

If that isn't answered for you soon I'll let you know. I have a panel already on my J30 but haven't wired it. I'm thinking the pass through will be outside the canvas (naturally) and towards the front, being careful to not interfere with the hinges or possibly zip tied to them if I can find a good spot. The hinges have sharp edges though so careful consideration is necessary. There are voids in the sides of the J30 where you can easily run 10 gauge (typical size) solar wire towards the rear or wherever you want to drop it down in to the Jeep. Mine will be plug and play for easy top removal.

larock1971

I drilled a hole in the roof near the Yakima track above the sleeve in the canvas the ceiling light wiring runs, gooped some sealant around the wires. There is an opening at the top of the sleeve and a hole in the sleeping platform that runs inside of the Jeep. I ran the wire down the B Piller to a controller mount on the passenger seat base, then ran wire to the battery through the fire wall.

510572510573 510574

Did you put bigger struts on the J30 when you added the rack?

No I didn't add heavier struts, I don't open the top with the kayaks up top.

Last edited:

JB30

Assuming other people (all?) have the same issue... anyone have an elegant solution to stop the access panels from rattling like crazy over bumps?

rustypayne

Assuming other people (all?) have the same issue... anyone have an elegant solution to stop the access panels from rattling like crazy over bumps?

Mine rattles in the winter when the Jeep is empty but it's loaded for summer now and doesn't make a sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles