Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

MikeC1964

The more I look at it, the more it seems like a custom fab. The chances of something off the shelf lining up with the indents on the J30 seems pretty slim.
I was thinking of picking up the Maximux-3 Ladder and customizing the top bracket...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 54

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I don't love the ladder, because it advertises to people they should climb up there when you're asleep...

AEV now sell their rails that run along the tub, which would be a perfect step for climbing up the tire.
390eec9851cdac079772c328ef2b3e85.jpg

-Dan

JB30

I don't love the ladder, because it advertises to people they should climb up there when you're asleep...

AEV now sell their rails that run along the tub, which would be a perfect step for climbing up the tire.
390eec9851cdac079772c328ef2b3e85.jpg

-Dan
Been following your travels Dan, and I’ll freely admit I’d be shittin’ bricks in some of the places you find yourself solo. That being said, I’d imagine 99.9% of people sneaking into your camp at night just want to steal your stuff, and would rather not climb into your bed. And for that .1%.... well a ladder hardly seems part of the equation.

Did eye those AEV corners though. And actually thought a ladder could mount to the bottom bar. Maybe even make some clips at the awning mounting points and have the ladder removable...

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Been following your travels Dan, and I’ll freely admit I’d be shittin’ bricks in some of the places you find yourself solo. That being said, I’d imagine 99.9% of people sneaking into your camp at night just want to steal your stuff, and would rather not climb into your bed. And for that .1%.... well a ladder hardly seems part of the equation.

Did eye those AEV corners though. And actually thought a ladder could mount to the bottom bar. Maybe even make some clips at the awning mounting points and have the ladder removable...

As for stealing stuff, I never, ever, ever leave anything outside at night :)

I think you'd be surprised how many people don't realize you can get into the J30 from the outside on the side of the Jeep.
Also, it's a lot harder than you think to get in there when the zip is closed.. there is nothing to hold onto.

So I think the ladder advertises that fact you're supposed to climb up like that, AND it gives people something to hold onto while they do it and explore whatever might be up there.

So for me, it's better not to advertise the fact that it's worth climbing up the side of the vehicle.

-Dan

Pixler

Two lucky J30 owners more on the road. Based in Switzerland (Lucerne).
Our home for the Panamericana next year. Many thanks to Dan Grec for all your tips.

Noé

Attachments

• DSC_0280.JPG
    DSC_0280.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Two lucky J30 owners more on the road. Based in Switzerland (Lucerne).
Our home for the Panamericana next year. Many thanks to Dan Grec for all your tips.

Noé

You're very welcome, and nice color on the Jeep!

I *love* that batwing awning you have. I feel like that might be an upgrade I make to mine when it's back in North America.

-Dan

Pixler

Dear Dan

I just finished reading your book "the road chose me vol 1". I like your writing stile very much and have left a comment on your website.

I like the sahara tan color of your jeep, it was by chance that our has the same color. It was the only "used" rubicon that we could find in switzerland and that was in good shape and had a price we could afford. There are not so many used jku rubicon, on the whole swiss market... maybe 5 to 10 at one time.

But in fact I was thinking a lot about the color in advance. Black or dark grey does heat up to much in sunlight and is not well recognizable in the darkness. In white color you have to wash it every second day :)

Sahara Tan is inconspicuous but rare and does not look too fancy. That should help to make it less appealing for thieves and could help finding it again faster if stolen.
Silver would have been our favorite, but I think sahara tan is the perfect color for that kind of mission

Noé
* sorry for being off-topic

JB30

Any tips from anyone who's mounted rotopax to their J30 blank window? Assume the round steel backing plate would be a wise addition?

HelaJames

Observer
Any one know if the JL version is available yet?

I have had mine on order with deposit since June 2018. You can order it on the web sight. I stopped by in late October to see what is going on since phone calls and emails get no reply. They told me they were not happy with the prototype and are still tweaking the final product and it should be available “soon”.

86scotty

Cynic
I've gone back and forth on an Ursa for my 2016 JKU for awhile. It's Saturday and they probably aren't open. Does anyone know what the wait is on a JK Ursa nowadays or are they readily available?

TIA

My apologies for not getting through the 130 pages where this may be answered. It's a bit intimidating and I have a short attention span.

rustypayne

I've gone back and forth on an Ursa for my 2016 JKU for awhile. It's Saturday and they probably aren't open. Does anyone know what the wait is on a JK Ursa nowadays or are they readily available?

TIA

My apologies for not getting through the 130 pages where this may be answered. It's a bit intimidating and I have a short attention span.

Doubt the lead time ever drops under 6-8 weeks but I'd think if ever it would be this time of year.

86scotty

Cynic
Any tips from anyone who's mounted rotopax to their J30 blank window? Assume the round steel backing plate would be a wise addition?

I haven't done it but I've mounted many things like it to expensive fiberglass shells. I would absolutely add a backing plate, as big as you can. Don't just think about it supporting the weight of what's mounted, think about it not cracking your expensive top if a limb gets caught behind the Rotopax or one of those small mailmen (read children) decides to climb up on your Jeep for some reason and puts their foot on it for support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles