Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Oh this is what I was thinking of doing when I get mine next year. Looks awesome. I have a quick question, how easy is it to remove the plate and reinstall the seat. Or is it even possible?

I've got that setup also. The 60% seat plate attaches to the rear plate via 3 small bolts and 2 bolts in the floor (that the seat uses). The plate comes out in about 10 min, easy. Installing the rear seat is a bit more work because it's so damn awkward and fairly heavy. Realize that the 40% seat uses a special bracket when the 60% side isn't in, so it needs to be loosened up and the bracket removed before putting all the seats back in. It's not a bad job and gets easier with some repetition, but I try and avoid doing it. Having another set of hands makes it much easier. Probably 45 min to an hour to get that all back together. If you are doing this 1 or 2 times annually for camping season, OK. If you have to do it often I would say not worth the trouble. Obviously everyone's tolerance for this stuff if different.

I've got that setup also. The 60% seat plate attaches to the rear plate via 3 small bolts and 2 bolts in the floor (that the seat uses). The plate comes out in about 10 min, easy. Installing the rear seat is a bit more work because it's so damn awkward and fairly heavy. Realize that the 40% seat uses a special bracket when the 60% side isn't in, so it needs to be loosened up and the bracket removed before putting all the seats back in. It's not a bad job and gets easier with some repetition, but I try and avoid doing it. Having another set of hands makes it much easier. Probably 45 min to an hour to get that all back together. If you are doing this 1 or 2 times annually for camping season, OK. If you have to do it often I would say not worth the trouble. Obviously everyone's tolerance for this stuff if different.

Thanks for the quick reply! That's exactly what I was hoping. I wanted to be able to take the seat(s) out for long trips use a system like that. My Jeep is my daily driver, but as I found out this summer, I'd really like the extra room that a plate system gives you.

Based on the reviews of this thread (and other reviews), I'm pretty sure I'm adding an Ursa Minor. Just need to wait the JL version.

ventura911

Adventurer
FS: Scipio awning and annex

130AA8C6-3675-41E2-931E-52BD2D60CA0D.jpeg
9FEEB5B1-DD8F-466C-AC3C-484C87EF70EC.jpeg
644E3D79-6F9A-4E05-8763-97D46074A58D.jpeg
Selling my So Cal Teardrops Scipio awning and its three-wall annex. Similar to the Hannibal awning, it currently rides on my Ursa Minor top and does not need support poles or guy lines. Used approximately half a dozen times.

Purchased about two years ago for $1750, asking $1350. Only known issue is a slight leak at a spot where a strip of Velcro is attached.

Willing to deliver in Southern California. Would prefer not to ship at this time.

Awning info at So Cal Teardrops:
https://www.socalteardrops.com/options.php?cid=8&oid=71
https://www.socalteardrops.com/options.php?cid=8&oid=109

Last edited:

JB30

Addicted to this thread, and pestering John regularly as I work towards a new JK and J30 combo. Thanks to everyone who've shared their knowledge and pics!

Any chance anyone in the L.A. area would mind showing me their rig? Would love to see a recent gen J30 in the flesh as I prepare for a couple details on the order.

goin camping

Explorer
Addicted to this thread, and pestering John regularly as I work towards a new JK and J30 combo. Thanks to everyone who've shared their knowledge and pics!

Any chance anyone in the L.A. area would mind showing me their rig? Would love to see a recent gen J30 in the flesh as I prepare for a couple details on the order.

I'm in the Antelope Valley if that helps.

P.S. Ventura911 has an amazing over all set up.

JB30

Thanks @KellyM and @goin camping! ventura911 Has Kindly offered a viewing this weekend.

Gotta say this forum is fantastic. Can't wait to join proper. PS... any way to change your username? Mine is extremely out of date!

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Oh this is what I was thinking of doing when I get mine next year. Looks awesome. I have a quick question, how easy is it to remove the plate and reinstall the seat. Or is it even possible?
In a JKU it takes about 45 minutes. The rear plate system needs to be removed in order to get to the seat bracket bolts. On the JLU we(Brian and I) have changed this so all you will need to do is unbolt the 60 Delete plate and reinstall the seat. This should cut the time in half.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
A37F15F0-48B6-4CDD-B4E1-84F19BD42159.jpeg

Out camping with my oldest son Ethan. Fast setup allowes for mountain biking during the day and camping at night. I love this camper.

UtahGuido

Took a trip to an MC rally in Colorado recently and stopped for the night in a dry pasture between Moab and Monticello. I took the bikini top with me and on one of the days I recruited a few fellows to help me lift the camper top off. Left it at the KOA and put the bikini top on for a mountain cruise. When we got back to the KOA we put the J30 back on. It takes 8 bolts and 4 or 5 guys and about 20-30 minutes to snug everything back down. So don't be shy about taking it off. Its fun to go back an forth.

IMG_0537 (1).JPG

IMG_0589 (1).JPG

Slowpoke

Took a trip to an MC rally in Colorado recently and stopped for the night in a dry pasture between Moab and Monticello. I took the bikini top with me and on one of the days I recruited a few fellows to help me lift the camper top off. Left it at the KOA and put the bikini top on for a mountain cruise. When we got back to the KOA we put the J30 back on. It takes 8 bolts and 4 or 5 guys and about 20-30 minutes to snug everything back down. So don't be shy about taking it off. Its fun to go back an forth.

View attachment 475600

View attachment 475601
Any thought on the capability to attach posts to the corners of the J30 and a means of lifting the camper/top off and being able to drive the Jeep out from under? Something akin to the old campers that fit in pickup beds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles