Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Yuke

Adventurer
Dog makes it very, very cozy, downright awkward for a 3AM toilet break. I would look at the dog sleeping downstairs. I mean it has a place where it hangs out when you are driving anyway?

Yup, goose gear plate system is perfect for his bed. Wife would not let that fly though, she enjoys a husky blanket.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Yes. I have put Wife (5'7"), 7 year old, 2 year old, Me (5'9") + 60lbs lab in J30. Wife + 2 kids upstairs, me + dog downstairs. Wife not happy but everybody else was. In your case I would say you and wife up top no problem, dog downstairs. If you wanted to put dog up top I think it would be tight / not that comfortable.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
Do you by chance have a link for those little "pucks"? I'm looking at the quick release mounts but not being a boat guy don't really understand how they work.

Ok here are some more pictures of my ladder setup. Sense I had a couple extra clips I found a carabiner that fits in the slot perfect. We use them to hang stuff from the other side like toiletries and shoe bags

Attachments

• 81A36ACF-C27C-4AD7-8C2F-F292EE932347.jpeg
    81A36ACF-C27C-4AD7-8C2F-F292EE932347.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • D0C765E1-A8D0-4C1E-9D37-4DEAF83848BB.jpeg
    D0C765E1-A8D0-4C1E-9D37-4DEAF83848BB.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 125
  • 31CE72A6-239A-4A54-B5E2-1433E18A02EC.jpeg
    31CE72A6-239A-4A54-B5E2-1433E18A02EC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 125
  • FFA141C5-8D25-4E75-9EB6-ED86A2429901.jpeg
    FFA141C5-8D25-4E75-9EB6-ED86A2429901.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 124
  • FE9FF16D-0A18-4836-A833-9FF2FEDD8E50.jpeg
    FE9FF16D-0A18-4836-A833-9FF2FEDD8E50.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 118

UtahGuido

The 16'x16' REI Tarp in action at Dinosaur Natl. Monument. Worked well, even though the corner attached to the top ripped off in a high wind. A little mending put it back into action and REI replaced the tarp, but maybe their’s aren't the sturdiest on the market. The corner of the tarp is hooked to the top via a carabiner clipped to a cord which is attached to the front clasps. If you shorten up that cord the tarp covers more of the back of the top and gives more side coverage, but the corners can't be guyed out as taut. I'm finding this to be a pretty versatile setup that provides lots of shaded space and a nice cozy covered environment. It’s also pretty easy on the budget.

5D54B71A-2D4C-46C1-A309-065C241C8111.jpeg

4F4D466E-F9C8-4707-B4A2-3267F2E5D2EF.jpeg

380D8A27-A0C7-4C9A-8A70-7560F67AAE9B.jpeg

Last edited:

Ultralite

Adventurer
Is there any one any where near Atlanta that has one of these I could see in person? I thought I saw one in traffic about a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presto88

Adventurer
Has anyone come up with a slick way to keep the latches out of the way when lowering the top? Mine fall down and end up resting on the base, preventing the top from closing completely, and then getting them unstuck is a big hassle. Now, I have an awning mounted on the drivers side and if that particular side "sticks", then the top gets skewed to the one side and it gets caught on the screws that hold the awning into place. This can't be good for that rubber seal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Has anyone come up with a slick way to keep the latches out of the way when lowering the top? Mine fall down and end up resting on the base, preventing the top from closing completely, and then getting them unstuck is a big hassle. Now, I have an awning mounted on the drivers side and if that particular side "sticks", then the top gets skewed to the one side and it gets caught on the screws that hold the awning into place. This can't be good for that rubber seal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In terms of the latches, I turn the hook portion (bottom) of the latch to face outward when I open the latch. Never had it cause any problems. In terms of awning screws I took a dremel and cutoff wheel to them, so they are no longer than the nut securing the bolt.

Presto88

Adventurer
Wow, thanks for the quick replies!
Turning the latches around doesn't work for me. My top has always been sort of twisted (if you were looking at it from above, the top portion is turned counter-clockwise just a bit) and those damn latches are going to hang up no matter what. I'm thinking about some way to have them stick in the "up" position while lowering the top. Velcro maybe?
That's a good idea about just cutting the awning screws off. I don't know why it didn't occur to me. Thanks!

Ark

Could you perhaps glue or secure a couple of high strength magnets to the inside of the shell that the latches would stick to that would keep them up and out of the way?

Presto88

Adventurer
Nice thinking outside of the box! But the latches are stainless steel, so by themselves they wouldn't stick to a magnet. I could try to adhere something to the latch that would be attracted to the magnet, but then you run into issues with it interfering with the operation of the mechanism.

I think that I have a (crude) solution. I took a piece of thick cardboard and folded it so it will hold the latch out. I'll just keep them in the back of the Jeep - tucked up by the rollbar - and get into the routine of slipping them into the latch before I lower the top. It'll work for a while anyway, and if I find it too cumbersome then I'll go back to drawing board.

I also cut off those attach the awning (as was suggested). I think that this will work for now. Thanks, everyone!
J30Latch.jpg

rustypayne

Sense I am a boat guy I found a quick release for a binimi top. Here is the link. there is a little puck that you bolt to the top and then I attached the quick release assembly to the ladder.

Here is a link to the part

https://greatlakesskipper.com/boat-..._3NwjChAQh2CUjhw0CbaKGqz7S7VAhhhoCpEQQAvD_BwE

I will try to get a couple close up pictures for you when I get a chance. If you look close there are 2 small silver mounts above the rear window.

I should have bought those quick releases a couple weeks ago, the link doesn't work anymore and now a search of their site doesn't pull up the part. Going to try calling them tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to see what I can figure out once the ladder is in hand this week.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I should have bought those quick releases a couple weeks ago, the link doesn't work anymore and now a search of their site doesn't pull up the part. Going to try calling them tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to see what I can figure out once the ladder is in hand this week.

Wow that sucks... I searched a bunch of suppliers for that part and they are the only oneI found.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles