Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

ExploringJeeps

We are constantly changing and adapting our camping/overlanding setup. Moving things around, and storing things differently is the norm until we settle on something that works. We use our Jeep as a daily driver too. So sometimes we are loaded up and sometimes we are pretty empty. Occasionally I would feel pulsing of air pressure while driving at certain speeds. I would hear a pounding sound coming from the top some times when hitting a large bump. Since I couldn't ride in the back while I was driving, it was difficult to figure out where the sound was coming from. I figured the pulsing was just due to the higher profile of the top.
Turns out both symptoms had one cause. It turns out I did not have enough support up top. There needs to be a damper in the center of the top to stabilize any movement of the top due to wind buffeting over the top, and without any support the entire top can make a pounding sound when hitting a bump. I stacked the two hatch cushions together on top of the front section. That was enough to stop the top from moving up and down due to wind or bumps. Overall a big improvement and now that I know what I need to do, I can consistently have a quiet top. I was very glad I found what the problem was. Hope it helps someone else here.

Ultralite

Adventurer
Has anyone removed their J30 for maintenance, etc? Mine's been on a year and it's getting a little creaky. Rather than snugging up the mounting bolts (which it probably could use and would help the creaking) I'm thinking of taking it off and checking out the seals, maybe put a little restorative dressing on them, and generally giving it the once over. Is this recommended maintenance?:

I’ve been very curious about the long term performance of these. Who has had theirs for multiple years with regular usage? How’s it holding up at the front and at the hinges?

I just haven’t seen any in the South.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have had mine since 2012. Have lived in Tampa for 3 years and San Diego for three years.
Top - held up fine, other than normal wear and tear (scratches, etc.). In fact my only complaint is I painted the very top part from white to black and the black has faded, but that is on me.
Hinges - they are rusting but function without issue. However John made a running change to stainless steel so this is no longer a problem. And John is going to replace mine out for stainless just waiting on a date.
Struts - no issues.
Cushions - holding up just fine.
Tent materials - couple of places where tenths worn against hinge bolt, but again on me because of my closing technique.
Overall they hold up great and would have no issue buying again.

Ultralite

Adventurer
I have had mine since 2012. Have lived in Tampa for 3 years and San Diego for three years.
Top - held up fine, other than normal wear and tear (scratches, etc.). In fact my only complaint is I painted the very top part from white to black and the black has faded, but that is on me.
Hinges - they are rusting but function without issue. However John made a running change to stainless steel so this is no longer a problem. And John is going to replace mine out for stainless just waiting on a date.
Struts - no issues.
Cushions - holding up just fine.
Tent materials - couple of places where tenths worn against hinge bolt, but again on me because of my closing technique.
Overall they hold up great and would have no issue buying again.

So glad to hear that, and that’s the kind of info I was looking for, many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Curious, what happens if the tent is catastrophically damaged? Is the top trashed after that?

Assume you are talking about the fabric? It looks replaceable to me... not sure I would want to handle it myself, but the fabric is fixed to the floor via perimeter trim that is screwed down every couple inches. Not sure about towards the ceiling as it is hidden under a finishing headliner. Probably not a cheap thing to buy a replacement of, but if I was stuck between damage that wasn't patchable and losing access to the top, I would put some money and effort into it.

That said it's hard to imagine what would cause that kind of damage without also damaging the shell or jeep itself. I know of two people that have been full-timing in their UM equipped jeeps (Dan Grec @theroadchoseme and Chris Shontz @venture4wd) and they seem to be proving the design and materials with respect to regular use and extreme conditions.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I’ve been very curious about the long term performance of these. Who has had theirs for multiple years with regular usage? How’s it holding up at the front and at the hinges?

I just haven’t seen any in the South.

I have slept in mine full time for almost 2.5 years and 40k miles on the worst roads in the world in west africa.
It's holding up great. I absolutely would buy again.

The fabric of the tent is very easy to remove / replace.

-Dan

Presto88

Adventurer
I attached the awning mounts that I bought from John to my J30 today. I went through and removed all of the bolts that hold the J30 to the Jeep, and then went about trying to figure out how to lift the top up high enough to be able to...um... "mount" the mounts. Working alone it quickly became obvious that I wasn't going to be able to lift the top and wedge some sort of support under it to keep it off the frame. I had already drilled the holes for the mounts and with a lamp I was able to see the holes from the front seat of my Jeep. With the use of some rachet extenders, a swivel joint, and a deep socket, I was able to attach the mount to the top without having to raise the top off of the Jeep! It took a bit of work, but they are on there now and I'm happy! I WILL have to get help to mount the awning onto the brackets though. That thing is heavier than I thought it would be.

rubicon91

Explorer
Camping at 11500 right after Imogene Pass. 15 days was the longest trip for me so far with the J30 and it worked flawlessly. Actually saw 1 other while out in CO and it was funny I was in Ouray and had just found my front diff was leaking a little so I needed to figure that out and as I was standing there I hear a woman's voice go "nice top" as they drove by in their J30. Gave me a good laugh at the right time.

Attachments

• Camping on Imogene Pass.jpg
    Camping on Imogene Pass.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 108

rustypayne

We've had our J30 for just over a week and could not be happier! Traveled from Michigan out to San Diego to have it installed and then camped our way back home in it. The first night or two the cushions seemed too firm but the more nights we slept the more comfortable it got and we're sleeping like babies now. It's fun how much attention it gets when folks notice. We stopped in a rest area for a break and this couple came up to ask if that was a camper on top of the Jeep. About 10 seconds later I had it popped up and showed it off, less than a minute to close it back down, they were very impressed.

The only thing we aren't used to yet is getting up at night for nature calls, if one person is getting up both are getting up. It is impossible to quietly slip out for a bathroom break. We're thinking about ways to make this easier.

IMG_0117_resize.JPGIMG_0173_resize.JPGIMG_1760_resize.JPG

ExploringJeeps

I attached the awning mounts that I bought from John to my J30 today. I went through and removed all of the bolts that hold the J30 to the Jeep, and then went about trying to figure out how to lift the top up high enough to be able to...um... "mount" the mounts. Working alone it quickly became obvious that I wasn't going to be able to lift the top and wedge some sort of support under it to keep it off the frame. I had already drilled the holes for the mounts and with a lamp I was able to see the holes from the front seat of my Jeep. With the use of some rachet extenders, a swivel joint, and a deep socket, I was able to attach the mount to the top without having to raise the top off of the Jeep! It took a bit of work, but they are on there now and I'm happy! I WILL have to get help to mount the awning onto the brackets though. That thing is heavier than I thought it would be.
Presto88 it’s a tough job isn’t it? I have to admit that I wish I had them put on with my original build. I had to pull out all kinds of tricks. Magnets, duct tape, angle grinder. I should have just taken the whole top off, but of course we had a trip to go on...
My biggest piece of advice to anyone else doing it is to make sure the mounting holes in the stainless bracket are de-burred. I forced the bolts through, not thinking much of it. I gunked up my threads on one bolt. Lock nut started getting tight midway through. I tried to force it, and then it jammed up. Couldn’t back it out. So then I had a loose bolt. Had to drill it out, buy a new bolt, and start over. Yes, there was some swearing involved.
It’s great now though. I made some brackets that are affixed to the awning and slide down over the j30 brackets. I can remove the awning by loosening up a few bolts and just lifting it off. Goes on just as simple. The goal eventually is to be able to leave our awning and room setup at camp and drive away. Need to find some sturdy poles though.

Presto88

Adventurer
I love the idea of brackets attached to the awning to allow me to just slip the awning on! That's how I pictured it when I ordered the mounts. When I got the mounts and saw that single hole at the top, I thought that was where I would put a lock or something to keep people from stealing my awning (I hadn't ordered the awning yet). You are right in that it should be pretty straightforward to rig up something like that. I'll have to give it some thought.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
We've had our J30 for just over a week and could not be happier! Traveled from Michigan out to San Diego to have it installed and then camped our way back home in it. The first night or two the cushions seemed too firm but the more nights we slept the more comfortable it got and we're sleeping like babies now. It's fun how much attention it gets when folks notice. We stopped in a rest area for a break and this couple came up to ask if that was a camper on top of the Jeep. About 10 seconds later I had it popped up and showed it off, less than a minute to close it back down, they were very impressed.

The only thing we aren't used to yet is getting up at night for nature calls, if one person is getting up both are getting up. It is impossible to quietly slip out for a bathroom break. We're thinking about ways to make this easier.

View attachment 461905View attachment 461906View attachment 461907

We have a telescoping ladder and I have brackets on both sides, it works so well we never use the hatches anymore!IMG_4400.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles