Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

dirtlimo

Observer
yes that is true but with regard tot he rubicon it isn't just the transfer case but a lot more Including the lockers which are superior to any other form of traction control and the ability to with larger tires with out regearing and only a minimal lift

If you plan on doing nothing mechanical to the jeep I.E axles, and want a very competent off road Jeep get the Rubi. If you plan on really building a Jeep, get a cheaper model.

KenSeltzer

Yeah, I was planning to see how much these ursa minors are to get installed from main line overland first. Then see if I should get a rubicon or sport. I use to have a two dr rubicon and I loved it. So I'm hoping to able able to get a four door rubicon if I can.

goin camping

Explorer
A sport should be fine if you plan to run primarily fire roads/forest roads. Definitely order the 3.73 axle since you will be carrying extra weight. The trac-lok rear diff is also a nice option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Above are some of the options I ordered. Hasn't let me down yet.

OP, 3.21's gears are to be avoided if you want to go off road exploring.

Bam2413

Observer
First off, I want to make it clear that I made a post a while back concerned about not hearing regular updates from Ursa Minor during my build process. Well fast forward to two days ago, and I received a call from a shipping company advising I had a shipment in from Ursa Minor that was ready for pickup. This was only a few days after receiving my final invoice!

I took delivery of my J30 and I was just short of picking my jaw up off the floor when I saw the amazing quality John and his team put into their builds. I was very impressed with the obvious time they took to crate the camper up. I received it from across the country without a scratch. The attention to detail on the camper was second to none. I can't say enough good things about Ursa Minor.

It was hard getting impatient during the build, but when I received the end product it was perfect and worth the wait. Now that I have had time to go over the J30 I understand why it takes the time it does to manufacture and explains the wait times during the busy season. These campers are not thrown together, they are solid with great craftsmanship.

So if you are on the fence about ordering one up, do not hesitate. John will take care of you and you won't regret it!

I will work on getting pictures up on my thread soon!

Bam2413

Observer
IMG_20170929_111607_071.jpg

Solid wood sleeping platform that collapses out of the way to maximize interior space in the cabin.

20170929_114617.jpg
20170928_215702.jpg
20170928_220701.jpg

Genesis dual battery system is on the list of things to install today.

Last edited:
I would like to install pockets or some type of storage in my J30 to keep personal items in an easy to access location. Any ideas or experience on installing something like this and what kind of material you've used?
Here's a pic of my muddy outfit while photographing Colorado's San Juan Mtns during the fall colors this year. My slogan on the rear window :)

OC2A8134.jpg

Bam2413

Observer
@slosmoke

Assuming you are talking about storage up top I found that Velcro really sticks top the headliner. I also thought about using some type of mesh netting affixed to the ceiling for easy access storage. Keeping in mind it couldn't be anything too bulky as it would hinder the roof from closing.

MizMoosie

Observer
Just a few shots from a recent Fall color tour of the U.P. of Michigan. Mouth of the Huron on Lake Superior, Sturgeon River Wilderness and Sylvania Wilderness Area.

20170920_115642-M.jpg

20170920_115618-M.jpg

20170921_142752-M.jpg

20170919_181906-M.jpg

20170917_153933-M.jpg

MizMoosie

Observer
That lakeside camping spot is amazing!

It was! It is a free dispersed site at the mouth of the Huron River. An old-timer showed up and we chatted for a while about the history of the area. An hour later, he showed up with a load of dry hard maple firewood for my campfire! I love the UP!!

goin camping

Explorer
It was! It is a free dispersed site at the mouth of the Huron River. An old-timer showed up and we chatted for a while about the history of the area. An hour later, he showed up with a load of dry hard maple firewood for my campfire! I love the UP!!

You got that spot and a load of free wood too. That was your day to buy a lottery ticket. :)

cowboybirder

Observer
Here's what my wife and I use. Just enough for glasses and wallet. $10.00 for 4 in different sizes in the camping section of our local store.IMG_2959.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles