Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Pdxfrogdog. What rack and how did you set that up on top

It started life as a Front Runner Slimline II (full length) JKU rack. I had this setup long before I decided to get a J30 top. Since I liked the rack quite a bit and was already invested in it, I worked with both Front Runner and Ursa Minor to keep it with the new top. It wasn't particularly hard to do... Front Runner's are so modular that it was easy to make the roof tray shorter. They also sell tracks and feet that can be mounted to pretty much any roof. So, it was a matter of getting Ursa Minor to use the Front Runner tracks instead of Yakima/Thule and get them as long as possible. We were able to get about 42.5" of track between where the roof line curves down at the rear to just behind the rear hinge bolt of the pop-top. Ursa was very reluctant to go any further forward than that and I understand their reasoning. So the top was delivered with just the track on it, I mounted up the rack post J30 install.

While I'm satisfied with the result I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to others. As I said, I had the rack already and was invested in how it works, accessories, etc. It is a really nice system. Having said that, it is not light. As in about 70lbs of aluminum and some steel that is permanently attached to the camper top. This makes it difficult to open the camper top those first few inches, if doing it from the outside rear (Yes, the gas springs are upsized to 140lbs). If you open from the inside by pushing up via the rear seat hatches it's no biggie. This has to do with how the hinge on the camper top works. You really don't get much mechanical advantage for those first few inches of lift, then the gas springs kick into action. I just open it from the inside now as a matter of course. Also (and perhaps obviously) I do take heavy stuff off the rack prior to opening the camper.

Here are a few photos showing it in more detail for those interested:

35157764823_4e40622899_c.jpg

35127758314_d94b30a276_c.jpg

35157762953_64f5f229b3_c.jpg

anonomoto

I placed my order and have an install date of December picked! I live in Alaska so I'm driving down and having John install it just before Christmas. I've got the Rhino color jeep and I'll be having him color match the top to help it blend in a little better, although the black rim looks pretty good too. Thanks to everyone posting pictures and info throughout this thread! I'll be posting pictures as soon as I pick it up... in 5 months.

dirtlimo

Observer
I placed my order and have an install date of December picked! I live in Alaska so I'm driving down and having John install it just before Christmas. I've got the Rhino color jeep and I'll be having him color match the top to help it blend in a little better, although the black rim looks pretty good too. Thanks to everyone posting pictures and info throughout this thread! I'll be posting pictures as soon as I pick it up... in 5 months.

Awesome and congrats!

Trailrunner1969

For all of the J30 owners out there (not you lucky dry desert dwellers), any quick and non-permanent suggestions on stopping the flow of water off the roof and into the cab? The top is installed as far forward as I can get it and this leaves a track where all the rain pours off and into the Jeep every time I open the door. I'd like to divert it and prevent that if possible. Preferably without putting a bead of silicon or something that would be harder to remove should the top ever come off.

View attachment 404619

I get the same thing ! very annoying .

I also will add communication with them is very slow , always contacts me when i have questions but takes a bit long ( multiple days )

dirtlimo

Observer
To those that have added shade to your tops.

What are you using and how well does it work. Also how long for set up and tear down?

I have an ARB on the drivers side and in the rear. It works well, UM has slots in the top for mounts to install these. It takes a minute to get the larger drivers side setup, the smaller rear one is no big deal at all. No regrets in getting them, wanted a less expensive solution in case of damage somehow (man, or mother nature)

Eagle05

Adventurer
To those that have added shade to your tops.

What are you using and how well does it work. Also how long for set up and tear down?

I had a Foxwing on my old trailer, and while it was functional, it took too long to set up and all the poles and ropes were annoying. Especially so at night and any time the dog was on a tie out. It was a disaster waiting to happen. Plus, it was not great setting up solo, or when windy.

On my Jeep I have the Eezi-Awn Manta, and it is much simpler to set up by myself and only takes a minute. No poles or ropes are required in calm weather. The downsides are when it's sunny, windy or raining it's just not a good design. Basically all the times you'd want to use it. The material heats up and is too warm to sit under at mid day when there's no wind. The legs and ropes can help when it's windy, but it adds clutter and trip hazards which get worse with the dog around. During the rain, a of lot water pools in the rectangular side, and some on the triangular portions. It's so much that I don't trust it to not break or at least bend something without monitoring it and dumping it occasionally. So while I continue to use the Manta because it's easy and generally handy, I would not buy it again. For the lower price, the dual ARB awnings probably make more sense. If someone can figure out a way to safely, and securely mount an Alu-Cab Shadow awning to the J30, I'll sell my Manta tomorrow. After talking with Ursa Minor, OK4WD and Alu-Cab, I just couldn't be sure it would work without a heavy duty rack to attach it to. All that said, at least the Manta's black bag looks good with the black top.

goin camping

Explorer
I've been recovering from a pretty bad deal since 10-16. So finally the hospital stays are over. The medication has calmed down so I was left with a massive case of cabin fever.

Solved that on Tues. by taking off for the Panamint Valley. Was just a quick overnighter at the Onyx mine. Not only did it soothe my soul but I got the best nights sleep on my got broke in two places back that I have had in months. Love my upstairs bed!

Hated to come home...

CFitz

Hello all, am new to this site. Great info here! I am on the fence on wether to order a J30 vs going the rack / RTT route. Is there anyone in the South Bay of CA with one who may be willing to entertain a visit from me to check one out? I'm in Long Beach and would be willing to travel a bit to see one.

Thanks for everyone's time and have a great night!

OldCrow

Took delivery of mine today. This is actually my second. I had one on a 2013 JKUR10A that I sold a while back and replaced with a big truck. Decided I was a Jeep guy after all and got a 2017 JKUR that I've been building out. There was a delay in delivery due to John being swamped and slower production of the tents but nothing to worry about. It's well worth the wait.

Ursa_Jeep_1 by Thomas Mitchell, on Flickr

Ursa_Jeep_2 by Thomas Mitchell, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles