Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Ha, ha, ha! That's awesome! :beer:
An Ursa Minor, under Ursa Minor... Very good Sir!
I'm digging the clouds. Gives the night sky some character, and seems to magnify the Airy disc of the stars.

2000LJ

Observer
Do you ever make it to NM? I have been looking at a J30 for some time and would love to see one in person.

Awesome pix as well!

Stoney126

Adventurer
Ok silly question. How do you climb up there? Been looking at possibly getting a jeep, might get a soft top so I cam pick one of these up

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Ok silly question. How do you climb up there? Been looking at possibly getting a jeep, might get a soft top so I cam pick one of these up

The normal access point is thru the rear doors of a JK unlimited. There are two removable hatches that allow you to pop up into the camper. This also allows you standing room to change clothing inside the Jeep if need be. Alternatively you could use a ladder(or bumper - rear tire) on the outside and access thru the two large window/door openings. A look at the entire thread will show photographs, just not sure what page to direct you to.

BVClimber

Observer
The access hatches are sweet. My wife and I added a ladder to the outside. Allows for easier mid night escapes to the bathroom without disturbing the other person sleeping.

WP_20150402_15_46_51_Pro.jpg

BVClimber

Observer
bottom is rivet inserts into the body of the jeep with a rust inhibitor. Didn't really want to drill, but it was the simplest solution as opposed to makeing a covoluted design to mount to the bumper. Risk there is body v.s. frame flex. Same picture just zoomed in a bit.

WP_20150402_15_46_51_Pro (1).jpg

BVClimber

Observer
Thanks. Local fabrication in Calgary. The boys did a great job at the shop to keep the cost down for such a small item. Definitely worth it for a simple, permanent mount that if needed, can easily be removed and holes plugged.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks. Local fabrication in Calgary. The boys did a great job at the shop to keep the cost down for such a small item. Definitely worth it for a simple, permanent mount that if needed, can easily be removed and holes plugged.

It looks great, nice work.

How hard is it to stand on the rear bumper and clamber over the spare wheel and get in that way?

-Dan

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Thanks, had to get a shot for John that night but have plenty more nights to perfect, Headed somewhere southwest this long weekend.
200LJ,, Thought about White Sands but want to check it out on a Full Moon, thats about the extent of my NM travels, or Bisti, are you close to it?

Unfortunately no. I'm in Northern California. Been to NM on business trips, and once for vacation. Beautiful area of the country! Would like to spend more time in that area.
This summer, the goal is to get into the upper Sierra Nevada's, to some of the smaller lakes that are high clearance 4x4 only. Have to get some work done on my other rig first.

BVClimber

Observer
It looks great, nice work.

How hard is it to stand on the rear bumper and clamber over the spare wheel and get in that way?

-Dan

It can be done, although it's a pain in the butt though. My wife wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. We did the ladder because we've got a solid 7 months of cold weather where we are so making easy entry/exit points was key. Stickin a foot in a hole in the wheel (Mine fit without shoes) when it's all ice covered, half sauced.... recipe for a bad night lol.

With the 2017 redesign nearing, any word from Ursa Minor on how quickly they'll have a new model? Really set on an Unlimited Diesel (if all rumors/talk are true).

Rather then a not so great everyday driver - 144WB High Roof 4x4 Sprinter (I know not exactly and apples to apples cross-shopping, but my top two options with no great new midsized vans in US nonetheless)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I hope all the owners were camping in theirs this weekend, a straggler from the weekend I got it

i-dk6dxCx-X3.jpg

Is this cool looking picture taken south of the border? Looks familiar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94