Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Ultralite

Adventurer
A search on YouTube didn't return but one J30 video that I could find. Could someone do a "show and tell" of theirs? It would be great to see a walk around. Maybe try to get some perspective of space and how you maneuver from into bed and back down.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
A search on YouTube didn't return but one J30 video that I could find. Could someone do a "show and tell" of theirs? It would be great to see a walk around. Maybe try to get some perspective of space and how you maneuver from into bed and back down.

http://youtu.be/7F-Pil2pqFI

http://youtu.be/hJAoz99de2k -- the j30 works essentially the same as their e camper top. Stand on the rear seat and climb up. The jeep has more head room. I normally faced forward, and lifted myself to a sitting position, then pulled my feet up. My wife is shorter so she "climbed" the back seat. You can climb on the back of the seat, or fold the seat flat and stand on the back, or remove the seat altogether.

Standing on the folded rear seat.. I'm 6'. Again note that the new models have more head room. On a longer trip I removed the single rear seat which allowed me to stand comfortably with extra head room for changing and stuff. For us, it was the most usable configuration. Room to sit in the seat, pull your shoes off, stand up and change etc. No problems with my wife getting up and down with her feet on the back of the seat.

null-103.jpg

Last edited:

Ultralite

Adventurer
Thanks Brian, man I remember yours being for sale, what a great rig.

How easy do you think it would be to cook in there? Did you ever? I have a small, very stable butane stove. About 2 weekends ago my son and I were out in the Westy in the mountains. One morning it was in the 20s and windy so I decided to cook inside. My Westy has a small flat surface that was fine for cooking.

It would only be an occasional thing during terrible weather but seems doable.

bigfish

Observer
Added a gear net to the head liner and some loops for hanging stuff. I added snaps to the loops to install some "winter panels" that I have yet to make...

0218191cedc594d779484ec0acbff6c2.jpg

e3a1c2e7b6161c434d6acfdd75d55a2e.jpg

Also added the Nemo awning zipper. (#10 ykk vislon - 42 inches). I was told by Nemo it was 40, but in truth it was more like 41-42 inches. Seems plenty stout, but time will tell.

01f63a9200146dc1db9df12ac4f79e39.jpg

These projects took nearly an entire weekend and then some to remove the tent and sew everything, so if you think you want to do it, it wasn't really easy.

Another awning note is that my ham\cb antennas on the AEV bumper interfere with the awning. I had to install some grommets so that when deployed the radio will still work.

3b5d8a626c9c94922297b731a98aa243.jpg

Otherwise the setup works really well and keeps water out of the rear of the jeep. While I was at it I took a few pictures of the interior setup and electrical bits for the solar panels.

904f9d8abe0071488bb4f7ceed1c8461.jpg

0798b2a76e31d7e62c18133e58dccd63.jpg

99134e7cb3c7088fbf2f84b9a68adb8a.jpg

01b5cbe13604204a8d514f7c89ca7629.jpg

e40581a12fd1da7bb6a3ed84eb308520.jpg

edd0720b8c6c9863f057d026c11f3deb.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie56

Adventurer
Another awning note is that my ham\cb antennas on the AEV bumper interfere with the awning. I had to install some grommets so that when deployed the radio will still work.

Bigfish: Is that an NMO mount for your antenna? That base looks slick. Where did you find it?

cwm

Observer
bigfish, where did you get the gear net that you show in that picture?

Also how about a description of the "winter panels" that you plan to make. What kind of material will you use?

Thank you.

wildo

I've had both the autohome airtop and I've had the J30 now for one winter season. In comparison there is way more room in the autohome (the non-clam style) which is nice really if you need to spend some time in the tent... lazy and bad weather kind of thing. The autohome was a bit better in terms of condensation build up in really cold weather. I'm in Calgary Alberta and will camp in it whenever rain/shine snow etc. Coldest so far in the J30 was about -30 celcius. With two guys there was definitely condensation,even with a window open and a bit of cross flow. Overall, I'd chose the J30 over the autohome everytime for drive ability... lower center of gravity is a huge win, and access to the inside of the jeep is a huge plus. I find the biggest benefit of the connectivity is turn on the vehicle for about 10-15 mins in the morning on those cold days and the dry warm air will expunge any of the build up condensation, which is a huge plus.

I also have the rear sliding window. It's really useful, has a screen and seems pretty sturdy. I'm sure if anyone wanted to break the latch they could, but it'd be just as easy to bust any of the other glass in the Jeep.

A really neat alternative would be to marry the two. J30 fiberglass shell and Autohome/James Baroud style top!

bigfish

Observer
bigfish, where did you get the gear net that you show in that picture?

Also how about a description of the "winter panels" that you plan to make. What kind of material will you use?

Thank you.

I made the gear net with some nylon net material and elastic from the fabric store. The tabs are just nylon webbing with rivet snaps from the internet. I have not worked out the details yet on the winter panels. Likely it will be some type of fabric that will serve as a vapor barrier and some light fill batting\fleece that is "quilted" together. I'm not sure how effective it will be, but I've seen the sportsmobile guys do this and it seems to help.

cwm

Observer
With you showing Denver which fabric store?

There is a material called Warm Windows that is a multilayer material to provide insulation for both RVs and homes (think passive solar designs). I seem to recall they claimed R-7. Some fabric stores might carry it. You can pick the style of fabric so you can get different looks.

There is a company in Lakewood, CO, RV Interiors and I had talked with them about it. They were located off Union just north of Alameda. The area just west of the Federal Center.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
15771590831_a590e89dda_o.jpg

So, I replaced my rear swaybar with a Road Master 9/8" bar (part number 1129-132). It's the same unit that Earthroamer used on the XV-JP. It virtually eliminated the sketchy top heaviness my Jeep has. I have extra weight of solar panels and other stuff. It was pretty bad and set off the traction control several times on the highway. I'd highly recommend this mod to anyone with an Ursa or other RTT. In my mind, its a safety thing, and in all seriousness, it could save your life. I just thought I'd share.

I am curious if the part # is correct. I checked on the Roadmaster website and this part number is listed for "2004-2007" Rubicon. The TJ platform ran from 1997-2006 JK platform did not start until 2007 and a search request for my 2012 states none available. I don't believe the rear sway bar for the TJ and the JK is the same. Any one have any info on this? A call to Roadmaster unbelievably did not yield an answer... never mind that their instructions reference a Sprinter van... http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/1129-132.pdf

KellyM

Adventurer
It is correct. They have a screwy description of it. I ordered this and it exactly fits my '13.

Have you noticed any difference in articulation when off road? Also, are you running the stock suspension? I can't remember whether you upgraded the suspension on your Jeep. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles