Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

kerouac

Hey Cobble,
You're a good guy :) Thanks for always answering everyone's questions with such intuition about what they are asking.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Is the main part of the new top molded in one piece?

Just wondering because of my 3-door long wheelbase research project....

Thanks.

The "regular" part of the top is all one piece. Inside the sleeping area, the pads sit on top of the "regular" top, then the base of the canvas is attached all the way around the cushions with screws and a top "bar" of sorts. The upper "pop up" is attached to the front mechanism/struts, and the upper part of the canvas is connected to the pop up. There is a headliner which covers where the canvas connects to the pop up. Of course there is a small amount of wiring which also goes up into the pop top to run the reading lamps and main center light as well.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I was perusing one of my favorite websites www.2canadiansonbikes.com and I was looking at their newest mode of travel (I was drawn to their website initially because they also travel by BMW GS's - I have the older GS Adventure).

I noticed the concept of their rig was similar to what I believe mine aspires to. (pic from their website)

e12c3b98b04f4ea10bf33ebfda5000e1.jpg

If you go to their website, check out the pics and story from Tunisia 2011

I also located the website for the person who constructed their vehicle.

http://toms-fahrzeugtechnik.eu/de/

If you can set up Google translate which will convert the info on the site to whatever language you want (my German is limited). At the bottom of the home page is a pdf/catalogue of what he can do. This might be of some interest to those who are thinking about what they can set up inside their conversion; however, their headroom is greatly increased as they do not have the cross bars and the opening to the upper sleep area appears to be much larger.

I know they do Landcruisers mostly, but I did see a Jeep pic in the catalogue, and, again, the concept appears to be the same as the Ursa...

Toolman

Explorer
Thanks for sharing the video. Great production, fantastic scenery, great recoveries, sunsets, campfires, Sherpas, it's an advertisement for Overland Travel to say the least.

Thanks again and I like the ursa minor on a JK, wish I had seen it at SEMA

Hi Cobble - I really enjoyed this thread. I'm plotting a similar setup. Quick question - what is the height of your Jeep with the Ursa top closed? I have a 7ft garage and want to make something like this could fit.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Hi Cobble - I really enjoyed this thread. I'm plotting a similar setup. Quick question - what is the height of your Jeep with the Ursa top closed? I have a 7ft garage and want to make something like this could fit.

I have a 2012 Rubicon with no upgrades to tires or suspension and with the J30 I sit a little below 79". For reference, with the soft top I sat ~72"

Last edited:

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
The habitat does not support kayaks or paddleboards on top would the ursa?

I have used one of the larger Yakima top boxes on mine. Need to make sure its centered, and use the center support when up. I had an issue with one side of the opening mechanism, or the other, not totally locking out (just slightly), but that could be from what was inside the top box, or just not having it exactly right on the cross bars. I have had my mountain bikes, and some other small stuff, on top when opening, and did not have an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles