Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Rear springs question: I got the tallest Rubicon stock springs (I forget which part number they were) and a 1.5" poly spacer which gives me probably

I know it's hard to guess aheaf of time BUT I'm willing to risk it with some input from folks who upgraded their springs.

I'm looking for a bit stiffer ride that won't drop down too much when I have two more people in the back and a trailer on (currently I lose about 1.5" or maybe even more when I have 4 adults and a trailer).
I'm not sure if you're referring to a JKU or JLU, but I'll take a stab for a JKU. I ran the stiffest JKU spring which was the recon edition spring. When towing my casita I used a set of air bags to stiffen things up until I upgraded with a set of OME 2618 rear springs. They lifted the Jeep @ 1.5" in the rear and were stiff enough to handle the trailer and four people. I have not pulled a trailer with my current setup. I sold the Casita and bought the ursa minor top. I find the OME 2618 spring along with 2619 up front) is fine as long as the Jeep scales under 6000 pounds. Anything more than that requires a 2620 spring which are very firm until you are loaded.

wandererr

Adventurer
I'm not sure if you're referring to a JKU or JLU, but I'll take a stab for a JKU. I ran the stiffest JKU spring which was the recon edition spring. When towing my casita I used a set of air bags to stiffen things up until I upgraded with a set of OME 2618 rear springs. They lifted the Jeep @ 1.5" in the rear and were stiff enough to handle the trailer and four people. I have not pulled a trailer with my current setup. I sold the Casita and bought the ursa minor top. I find the OME 2618 spring along with 2619 up front) is fine as long as the Jeep scales under 6000 pounds. Anything more than that requires a 2620 spring which are very firm until you are loaded.
Thanks - it is a JKU. Gonna check out OME. Btw, after measuring the jeep it looks like I might have even less lift then I thought. I know I have more lift over what the stock one was, but less then I thought I netted - I wonder if the stock sport had "negative" lift as compared to the common measurement methods. This makes it hard to buy a spring that hits the "spot" when it comes to the desired height....

that_dude

Thanks - it is a JKU. Gonna check out OME. Btw, after measuring the jeep it looks like I might have even less lift then I thought. I know I have more lift over what the stock one was, but less then I thought I netted - I wonder if the stock sport had "negative" lift as compared to the common measurement methods. This makes it hard to buy a spring that hits the "spot" when it comes to the desired height....

Best way to measure how much lift you have (or don’t have) over stock.

Front:
486D29FE-2F76-47B6-A0EF-5F40734EA327.jpeg

Rear:
7092DB84-F6C9-4C57-A1D2-D618AA4A7428.jpeg

Last edited:

wandererr

Adventurer
Best way to measure how much lift you have (or don’t have) over stock.

Front:
View attachment 654416

Rear:
View attachment 654417
I used that method and it looks like I have less lift then I calculated when I swapped the springs and added coils. Based on these methods I have just under an inch.

Though on the other hand looking at my JKU and eyeballing it against other stock JKUs that I see on the street it looks like I have more? :confused:

wandererr

Adventurer
On that thought - curious of a measurement from top of the rim (provide the size) or center of the wheel to bottom lip of the stock flare

Jupiter58

I used that method and it looks like I have less lift then I calculated when I swapped the springs and added coils. Based on these methods I have just under an inch.

Though on the other hand looking at my JKU and eyeballing it against other stock JKUs that I see on the street it looks like I have more? :confused:

Are you comparing yours to one with the same size tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94