Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks Dan! I was thinking about doing the same thing. My Issue is I have the red, body color top which might make it a little harder to sell. I also need to have the holes filled and painted on it because I have the Rhino Rack Backbone setup for my current RTT.
There's only one way to find out!

..Also, you could sell the backbone system with it for potentially more $$$. I assume you won't be needing it with the J30!

-Dan

RastaPasta

There's only one way to find out!

..Also, you could sell the backbone system with it for potentially more $$$. I assume you won't be needing it with the J30!

-Dan
Exactly! I have a couple people interested in my RTT and the backbone, those plus the roof get me about halfway to the J30.

Thehaymon5

I am in the process of purchasing a used J30 top built in the summer of 2019. Besides the vehicle portion of the wiring kit, what do I need to buy from Ursa Minor to make for an easy install, as we are meeting two days from each of our homes to do the swap. I have seen a rear gate trim kit and a 2 inch foam seal, for instance.

Also, can three guys do the swap comfortably?

RastaPasta

The top weighs around 250-270lbs, if I recall. I'd definitely have at least a 4th there (2 per side) to make lifting the top easier.

larock1971

When we picked up our used Ursa Minor, there weren’t any additional parts needed. The previous owner had the wire harness pull from his Jeep before selling it, I wired it after returning home.

RastaPasta

Any thoughts on parts needed?
I don't have one (yet), that's just my knowledge from research and watching videos. I don't think any special tools are needed to install it though. You just have to pop off some of the plastic panels on the interior to run the wiring, but that's not a big deal.

rubicon91

Explorer
Any thoughts on parts needed?
I dont know that you would need any parts from UM for a used one unless something is wrong with that used one. 3 people can lift the top I did it at the 4x4 shop with the help of 2 of them however it would have been really nice to have a 4th person. It was heavy as hell ha! outside of the bolts on the sides in the rear and the 2 bolts up front you have the wiring harness that goes through firewall to battery and a wire that attaches in the tailgate for your 3rd brake light.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide
by Tom Sheppard
From $137.62
Long Way Down: An Epic Journey by Motorcycle from Scotlan...
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $39.94
Road Fever (Vintage Departures)
by Tim Cahill
From $11.99
Motorcycle Messengers: Tales from the Road by Writers who...
by Lois Pryce, Mark Richardson, Carla King, Sam Manic...
From $9.99

rubicon91

Explorer
Thanks! I ordered my J30 last week and am so excited! It will be ready by May which is perfect. We have been sleeping in the Jeep for the past few years and it works well, but I tired of having to take all my gear in and out to setup the bed.
It really isnt that difficult to install. I had mine shipped directly to my 4x4 shop and we did it in about half a day. I took my time unboxing it. I think the worst part to having one shipped is the 10000 screws you have to take out of the box to get to the top. I would make sure you have 2 batteries fully charged as you will need it most likely.

Thehaymon5

I think all I’ll need is the Jeep side of the wiring harness. If I knew for sure the connector involved I’d just make my own. It looks to be a Delphi 3 wire connector from video stills I’ve seen but I am not sure. I’ll be wiring to my SPod anyway.
No answer at Ursa Minor.

May just go ahead and order theirs to be sure.

Install looks easy enough for sure.

Last edited:

Thehaymon5

When we picked up our used Ursa Minor, there weren’t any additional parts needed. The previous owner had the wire harness pull from his Jeep before selling it, I wired it after returning home.
Would you happen to have a good photo of the wiring harness plug?

autarkus

I think all I’ll need is the Jeep side of the wiring harness. If I knew for sure the connector involved I’d just make my own. It looks to be a Delphi 3 wire connector from video stills I’ve seen but I am not sure. I’ll be wiring to my SPod anyway.
No answer at Ursa Minor.

May just go ahead and order theirs to be sure.

Install looks easy enough for sure.
When I had my top installed at the shop, I asked them about wiring it to the SPod. They said it wasn't really necessary, which I agree with after having seen everything done. The top has its own breaker/power switch right above the rear view mirror.