Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

sbly

Observer
shays4me,

I ran the Maximus 3 relocation bracket for a short time period and then shifted to the cowl mounted option. Your milage may very but after running both methods, I would have to say that I get better reception with the cowl mounted option.

talico

I relocated the GPS to my passenger side rubber windshield bumper. There is already a large hole in the hood there and it was easy to route the cable to it. I did need to widen the hole just a little bit, I just hit it with some touchup paint afterward, put down a little silicone, and it was done. GPS works great, and I have had no problems with it. I will never put the windshield down on my JK, so it doesn't affect anything. If at some point I wanted to put everything back, it is reversible.

sbly

Observer
Just curious, as a fellow J30 owner what is everyone doing as far as for the internal access to the tent? I built a custom platform that included a step/cubby hole to help with getting "upstairs". Any ideas and or other information would be greatly appreciated.

rustypayne

We rarely use the inside hatch, it's awkward with two people climbing over each other. Only if it's raining or something and then we just climb up on the seat back.

sbly

Observer
rusty, it does take a little work to use the inside hatch with two people and a dog, but we make it work. How are you getting into the tent from the outside?

rustypayne

rusty, it does take a little work to use the inside hatch with two people and a dog, but we make it work. How are you getting into the tent from the outside?

I carry an 8' collapsible ladder which works well for us, especially getting up to pee at night. Don't think that would work too well for the dog though.

sbly

Observer
Yea getting a Rat Terrier to climb a ladder would be a sight to see. Do you lean the ladder up against the J30 or do you have some type of mount?

rustypayne

Yea getting a Rat Terrier to climb a ladder would be a sight to see. Do you lean the ladder up against the J30 or do you have some type of mount?

I lean it against the side, when it's down I just stand it up on the back seat and use the seat belt to keep it in place. Takes almost no room that way.

IMG_0837.JPG

sbly

Observer
scotty, who makes that ladder and have you had any issues using it?

rusty, how stable is that with it just resting against the top?

rustypayne

scotty, who makes that ladder and have you had any issues using it?

rusty, how stable is that with it just resting against the top?

It's very stable, these ladders are surprisingly heavy duty and you just need to be sure to square it up well. We're in our 60's and pretty damn shaky but we go up and down ok, I guess when we fall and break a hip it'll be back to the class A ;)

biedron

I bought my Ura Minor top used, so didn't get to pick options. I always wished I had the Map Pockets I heard we're so useful. They are listed on UrsaMinorParts.com but have always been "sold out", but I lucked out and saw they were in stock over the weekend. I ordered them, easy install. Dropped the headliner, pulled all my patches off, found some fuzzy side velco to cover the hook side Velcro on the Map Packets, slid the onto the headliner, cut holes for the four corner bolts, screwed the headliner back in, and pulled off the fuzzy side Velcro. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

View attachment 539552 View attachment 539553 View attachment 539554

I'm in the same situation - got a UM top used which didn't have the map pockets. After I saw your post I ordered them and they arrive a couple of weeks ago. I just got around to trying to install them today but mine seem to not quite assembled correctly (?)
On mine the strip that has the velcro and the zipper is not sewn to the light-colored backing material. Was yours that way? The backing is sewn on the other 3 sides. I'm attaching a photo to try and illustrate. Both left and right map pockets are the same in this regard. Seems wrong to me, but maybe it is the way it is supposed to be?

Thanks

Bob

IMG_0721.JPG

larock1971

I'm in the same situation - got a UM top used which didn't have the map pockets. After I saw your post I ordered them and they arrive a couple of weeks ago. I just got around to trying to install them today but mine seem to not quite assembled correctly (?)
On mine the strip that has the velcro and the zipper is not sewn to the light-colored backing material. Was yours that way? The backing is sewn on the other 3 sides. I'm attaching a photo to try and illustrate. Both left and right map pockets are the same in this regard. Seems wrong to me, but maybe it is the way it is supposed to be?

Thanks

Bob

View attachment 543033
Those are correct, I was a little confused at first too. The zipper is not attached to the backing, the backing creates the pocket that slides onto the headliner (like a pillow case, and is hidden when you re-install the headliner), the Velcro that affixes to the headliner closes off the fourth side. It is hard to slide into place because th hook Velcro catches on the headliner unless you have a long enough strip of loop Velcro to keep from getting hung up on the headliner. I wish I would have taken more pictures during the install, I didn’t take a picture of the roof side of the headliner.

F7AA029D-1960-422D-97E4-065D02522E3C.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94