Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

whec716

Observer
I'd love to hear your build specs and thoughts on no rear windows.

Took delivery of mine today. This is actually my second. I had one on a 2013 JKUR10A that I sold a while back and replaced with a big truck. Decided I was a Jeep guy after all and got a 2017 JKUR that I've been building out. There was a delay in delivery due to John being swamped and slower production of the tents but nothing to worry about. It's well worth the wait.

Ursa_Jeep_1 by Thomas Mitchell, on Flickr

Ursa_Jeep_2 by Thomas Mitchell, on Flickr

IDRMOFJEEPING

ShawnB, I Would love to see the finished platform and storage when you have it completed! I'm still on the fence about the goose gear platform because of the cost. Looks like a great product but I have to recover from the cost of the J30 so looking for a more economical system for now. Tomorrow is the big day, took the hard top off and it's ready for the J30!:wings:

whec716

Observer
ShawnB, I Would love to see the finished platform and storage when you have it completed! I'm still on the fence about the goose gear platform because of the cost. Looks like a great product but I have to recover from the cost of the J30 so looking for a more economical system for now. Tomorrow is the big day, took the hard top off and it's ready for the J30!:wings:

My goose gear plate and 60% rear seat delete is suppose to ship tomorrow. I'll also make a video and post up some pics.

Bam2413

Observer
My goose gear plate and 60% rear seat delete is suppose to ship tomorrow. I'll also make a video and post up some pics.

What distributor did you go through for your order? Having just recently gone to a dealer only program, it is tough to find a distributor that has the Goose Gear products on their website yet...

Looking forward to seeing how your install goes.

dflesher65

Certifiable
Ursa Minor J30

E7C7D46E-0B24-4930-BAB5-E0D2295786C0.jpg7566E016-9D8E-4EEC-B6E4-13B8DD478FF3.jpg

We just picked up our Ursa Minor today!! Great craftsmanship and a great product! Thank you to the Ursa Minor team! More modes to follow!!!

whec716

Observer
What distributor did you go through for your order? Having just recently gone to a dealer only program, it is tough to find a distributor that has the Goose Gear products on their website yet...

Looking forward to seeing how your install goes.

I actually went through Offset Kustoms in New Caney Texas (Side note, just noticed they were on garage rehab). I don't really get what Goose Gear is doing here. Every question I asked had to go to Goose Gear for answers. Additionally, the price was the same. So, it seems to me like Goose Gear could have just hired another staff to handle orders/product discussions instead of going with a dealer network that must cost them something and doesn't appear to alleviate their main problem of being tied to the computer/phone answering questions and emails.

goin camping

Explorer
Was out camping north of Barstow, Ca. this past weekend.

Really cold and windy as heck. However, the top ignored the wind (No flapping or air leaks) and that allowed the top to warm up. Nice warm nights sleep in a cold wind. These tops are great.

Eagle05

Adventurer
Dimensions

As my Jeep with the Ursa Minor J30 (together) is for sale, I have had some folks ask about a few of the dimensions. I'm not sure if they are listed out there somewhere already, but maybe a few pictures couldn't hurt.

The mattress actually measures 85"x48".
The 88"x51" is to the base of the tent fabric.
The cyan blue dashed lines are measurements of the fore and aft opening from inner roof to the floor where I have the Goose-Gear 60 seat delete platform installed.
These are all approximate measurements rounded to the nearest half inch.

Attachments

• UM Measurement 01.jpg
    UM Measurement 01.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 126
  • UM Measurement 02.jpg
    UM Measurement 02.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

goin camping

Explorer
I'd love to hear your build specs and thoughts on no rear windows.

I got the rear side windows on mine. These JKUs have bad rear visibility so I got the windows for on and off road visibility. Also lets more light into the cargo area.

Last edited:

ExploringJeeps

Swapping tops

I spent all weekend swapping out my Jeep. We had a 2015 with 60K miles and exchanged it for a new 2017 due to a pretty good end of model year deal. We figured getting a new JK will let us enjoy the J30 for a few more years. Since the JL is a few inches longer it doesn't seem like the top will be compatible. Man, removing the foam padding under the top in the back was a royal pain. It took a couple hour and a lot of elbow grease. Has anyone applied the adhesive side of the foam to the bottom of the J30? Seems like it would be just as effective at stopping wind and leaks. It would be way easier if moving tops around. I never tried the stock top with the foam, but, I'm guessing that it would interfere with the hardtop fit. I live in the midwest and am planning on swapping tops each winter. so I let my stock hardtop take all the road salt and abuse. Then early spring switch over to the J30 again. Anyone else do this too?

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
I spent all weekend swapping out my Jeep. We had a 2015 with 60K miles and exchanged it for a new 2017 due to a pretty good end of model year deal. We figured getting a new JK will let us enjoy the J30 for a few more years. Since the JL is a few inches longer it doesn't seem like the top will be compatible. Man, removing the foam padding under the top in the back was a royal pain. It took a couple hour and a lot of elbow grease. Has anyone applied the adhesive side of the foam to the bottom of the J30? Seems like it would be just as effective at stopping wind and leaks. It would be way easier if moving tops around. I never tried the stock top with the foam, but, I'm guessing that it would interfere with the hardtop fit. I live in the midwest and am planning on swapping tops each winter. so I let my stock hardtop take all the road salt and abuse. Then early spring switch over to the J30 again. Anyone else do this too?

On mine we have the foam tape on the bottom of the J30. We like to be able to run the soft so I made up a pulley system connected to a 110v winch mounted to the wall.
I can get the top off in 15-20 minutes, The hardest part is opening the top to remove the 2 front bolts! Then I unplug it, remove the rear 6 bolts hook up the straps and hit the button!

IMG_4264.jpg

48D4624C-7B71-4827-8552-4B27CB07F1E4.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles