Ursa Minor or RTT

rubicon91

Explorer
Very informative, thank you for taking the time to list your pros and cons from using both. Really does seem like the J30 is pretty impossible to beat for overall performance.
It really is now dont let us all fool you. You still have to order it get spotty customer service and most likely have it delivered later than expected. But once you get past that it is awesome!!!

sbly

Observer
Since your an Army guy I'll put it like this, it's like comparing a Blackhawk to a Chinook. The Blackhawk will fit you and the guys (or girls) but the Chinook will let you bring the whole band to the gig. Both are good at what they where designed to do, but it really depends on what your mission requirements are. If you need the additional sleeping space and don't mind the extra set-up time, then I would consider the RTT. But if sleeping space isn't a concern and you don't have room to store the RTT at the house, then the J30 is a great option. As for the Ursa Minor customer service, you'll need to stay on top of John like a Blackhat on a dirty, nasty leg at jump school. Call and email him repeatedly until you get the response that you want.

autarkus

Also, make sure to inspect the paint yourself, especially if you color match the top. Check under the top, above where the front doors will be. Also along the bottom edges. I caught one problem in the paint before I left and they took it over to have it fixed, but I missed another issue.

Justincredible

Adventurer
Personally, unless you're going to be circling Africa like Dan Grec, I'd go with a Teardrop trailer.
Comfortable sleeping quarters, kitchenette, extra storage space for your cramped Jeep, and you can leave it at camp while you go explore the area.
Plus if you and the Mrs. decide to expand your family in the future you can throw your RTT on top an annex the kid(s) to the upstairs quarters when they get a few years old.
...and if you decide to change up your vehicle down the line you can still pull the trailer, where the Ursa Minor can only be used with a JKU.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
On fuel mileage, my Ursa has Yakima rails (with an old school wind deflector) and a 100 watt solar panel up there. I'm lifted on 33"s with a 2.5 AEV dual sport setup. 6 speed Jeep got 16.5 on a recent 5k mile trip out west. Mileage suffers most at interstate speed, went up close to 20 everywhere but the interstate, pretty much the exact same as my JKU without the Ursa on top.

Also, I'd like to give John at Ursa some credit. He's a small shop and I've patiently dealt with many like him in this hobby. I heard his customer service was sometimes lacking before I got my Ursa. I bought mine used but talked to him at length about a new one before I found it AND he's helped me with a couple of questions since I bought it, even though I didn't buy a new one from him. He is a spectacular guy IMO. He has always answered the phone or gotten back to me within hours. I'm not questioning any one else's experience, just sharing mine.

JDaPP

Adventurer
On fuel mileage, my Ursa has Yakima rails (with an old school wind deflector) and a 100 watt solar panel up there. I'm lifted on 33"s with a 2.5 AEV dual sport setup. 6 speed Jeep got 16.5 on a recent 5k mile trip out west. Mileage suffers most at interstate speed, went up close to 20 everywhere but the interstate, pretty much the exact same as my JKU without the Ursa on top.

Also, I'd like to give John at Ursa some credit. He's a small shop and I've patiently dealt with many like him in this hobby. I heard his customer service was sometimes lacking before I got my Ursa. I bought mine used but talked to him at length about a new one before I found it AND he's helped me with a couple of questions since I bought it, even though I didn't buy a new one from him. He is a spectacular guy IMO. He has always answered the phone or gotten back to me within hours. I'm not questioning any one else's experience, just sharing mine.
This captures it exactly. He is sometimes slow to answer but he has always helped me out (I bought mine in 2012). I recently bought a j180 (this one was sold by AT) and even helped me out with info and recommendations.

sbly

Observer
Yea I have to agree about John, it might take a few emails or phone calls, but when you get him, he does good work. Plus both times I have been at his shop in Portland his phone and emails were going off non-stop.

TacticalBBQ

If I had a JKU I would go with the Ursa. Seems easy to open and close. Also more aero dynamic than having a brick up top.

JDaPP

Adventurer
For Ursa Minor, tent has always been dry as a bone. I was a early adopter of the top and I had some leaking with very heavy lengthy rain but with John's help we figured it out and fixed it and it has never leaked again. After that I have not heard of any additional leaking on the forum as he fixed the issue. In fact I would say it is significantly better than OEM jeep top in that regard.

FlightMedicJP

Just put a Smittybilt XL RTT on my trailer build. Wife, 2 kids and cost led me this route. Scored the RTT for a little under $800 with free shipping last November and the space in it is enormous. If it was just me and the wife and I had cash to burn I'd go the ursa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles