Ursa Minor or RTT

Looking at getting an Ursa Minor, currently have a CVT RTT. My RTT is very comfortable, but after I am retired from the Army, my wife and me plan on living in the Jeep for a year to travel. I feel like the Ursa Minor would be the way to go for that year long trip. Anyone used an RTT and switched to an Ursa, or vice versa? Pros and Cons if you have some experience with the Ursa? Just want some inside info before I make the buy. Thanks.

86scotty

Cynic
@DanGrec, @rustypayne, @ratled, give Brian some feedback! He has talked to me about my Ursa and I have given him some answers but I don't want to be biased so I'm keeping my distance here. People should get what they want and need in this awesome hobby, not necessarily what I happen to be selling.

I would think an Ursa Jeep would be way too tight for a year of full timing but Dan has certainly done it and everyone has different needs and expectations. I can say this, my wife and I spent two weeks in the Ursa this summer with only our last and rainy night in a hotel. We had no problems. I do not know if I'd want to do it all the time though. A 4wd van might be a better choice for full-timing.

goin camping

Explorer
Really enjoy that the Ursa sits low for less wind resistance and is so fast and easy to put up and take down. Just a couple minutes in each direction.

Best to you in finding your perfect solution.

roving1

I have a cvt on a truck. It's such a giant pain to pack up. It is terrible for drive sleep move on in the morning situations. I like it a lot with the annex room it's more comfortable for long stays. But I would be putting one of the poptop tent camper shell things on my truck now if they did not all have year plus waiting lists. If I had a Jeep I would for sure pull the trigger on an Ursa Minor.

If you have not seen the YT channel VentureFWD you should watch. Full time living in an Ursa Minor.

MizMoosie

Observer
A couple of thoughts: Will you be carrying anything on the roof? If so, go with the Ursa Minor. I carry a Clam screen shelter for hanging out in camp and a canoe on the J30 racks. The shelter is a great place to get away from bugs and bad weather. I travel solo with a 65lb poodle. It is easy to shoo the dog out of the way for an "oh dark 30" bathroom run. Not so easy with a spouse...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Anytime I camped with someone with an RTT, I simply could not believe the setup and tear down time, and it would have driven me mental for the three years I have been in my Ursa.
The ursa is literally 30 seconds up, 60 seconds down.

I've watched couples battle for 10 minutes to fold away their RTT, covered in either rainwater or dust.
For more than a few months on the road, the choice is easy for me.

-Dan

autarkus

I'd say to try to find an owner nearby to let you check the J30 out. It's not inexpensive purchase, so best to know what you're getting into.

Wish I had feedback for the RTT, but I've only had ground tents and the Ursa. For me, clearance is a big issue, as I daily drive my Jeep and short garages are everywhere. I could not fit in many of the carports or garages I need to with a RTT on a roof rack.

Getting in and out, you have options with the Ursa to do it from inside the Jeep, or do like some other folks do and run a ladder up to the exterior like you would a RTT. With two people, it might be a bit of juggling to open and close a hatch when you want to get down. In the cold, I appreciated being able to dress in the hatch and put my boots on in the Jeep before getting out in the cold.

Weight is probably a wash when you add in the rack. Drag is going to be much better with the Ursa. Cost difference will vary wildly, but you could come in well under the J30 with the right combo of rack and an inexpensive RTT. Not sure if you'd install yourself or have it done at the facility, so that's also a wildcard. I watched the guys do it in San Diego and while I think it's not insurmountable to do with a friend or two and a hoist, I was more than glad to have the guys there handle it.

Given the choice to do it over, I'd buy the Ursa again without any changes.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have had both. The only advantages to the rtt was I could take it off easier than a whole top/move between vehicles. That being said for full-time use with a jeep the standing room, ease of setup, low profile and features make the Ursa Minor a easy choice in my mind.

Anytime I camped with someone with an RTT, I simply could not believe the setup and tear down time, and it would have driven me mental for the three years I have been in my Ursa.
The ursa is literally 30 seconds up, 60 seconds down.

I've watched couples battle for 10 minutes to fold away their RTT, covered in either rainwater or dust.
For more than a few months on the road, the choice is easy for me.

-Dan
Yeah I’ve had an RTT for quite a while and your last paragraph is our life every morning packing up camp. We definitely lose time due to the fact the RTT takes so much longer to pack up. I daily drive my Jeep and the profile is a really big selling point for me. Spent an hour yesterday talking to @86scotty about his and I think he has me sold on one.

Morgan Weafer

I also have a CVT RTT paired with my Jeep and I enjoy the comfort immensely. However the setup and tare down not to mention the wind prone fly can be frustrating at times. Having the streamlined hardtop of the Ursa Minor might be worth the investment. Being able to setup in seconds plus retaining fuel economy are huge advantages especially for daily travel.

rubicon91

Explorer
I will throw in my 2 cents. Had a RTT on a trailer sold said trailer and got the Ursa Minor J30. I could not imagine going back to a RTT. And definitely could not imagine having a RTT on top of the Jeep to set up and break down. The ease of the J30 is awesome. As Dan said 30 secs up 60 secs down. The only bonus to a RTT maybe would be the size of it depending on model for 2. I only solo sleep up there however plenty have slept 2 no issues at all. If I had any complaints or concerns with the Ursa Minor vs RTT it would be if I have to use bathroom in middle of night. A little bit more involved with the Ursa Minor but the simple solution to that for me is empty the dang bladder before I go to bed :) Weight wise the Ursa Minor is less weight than adding a roof rack and RTT. If I remember correctly it is only 100 or so lbs more than the stock hard top. I have had my Ursa Minor about 18 months and had a CVT RTT for about 2 1/2 years before that. I am about 60 nights approx in the J30 and could not imagine going back to a RTT. If anything next level would something with a Four Wheel camper on it.

sbly

Observer
Hey wildjeeper here are some thoughts on the J30 vs. RTT. We owned a ARB Simpson III tent for 9 years and have logged a few trips with it to include a trip to the Arctic Ocean and the Labrador Highway. We switched over to a J30 about a year ago and have made a few short term camping trips so far. Each has advantages and disadvantages, for us we broke it down like this.

Storage - J30 (since it stays on the Jeep we have no need to find a place in the garage to store it and our 2 awnings)
Mounting - J30 (with it being always on the Jeep the days of carrying, lifting, mounting and bolting are over. Which makes it easier for those last minute trips)
Driving - J30 (with the lower profile of the J30 we have less road/wind noise, can maintain about 17 MPG, and have a lower center of gravity which help both on road and in off-camber situations on the trail. Also with the J30 I can still park in my garage)
Deployment - J30 (I think the others have covered this one but I will add that you have no need for a large parking spot. As long as you can park you have a place to sleep)
Sleeping - Simpson III (with the wife and 2 small dogs, we appreciated the larger sleeping area of the Simpson III. Getting up in the middle of the night is definitely a 2 person process in the J30. But one advantage the J30 has is that when it's 19 degrees outside you can run the remote start on your Jeep with the heater on to warm things up)
Usage - J30 (we really like the idea that we can stand up inside the Jeep and change out of our wet clothes (dry off the dogs) before climbing up into the J30.
Stowing - J30 (if need be the wife can easily handle that by herself in a rather short period of time)
Cleaning - J30 (easier to open, clean, dry and stow)
Weight - J30 (weighs about 260 pounds and the Gobi rack and Simpson III tent combo weighed in at about 293 pounds)
Height - J30 (has a height of 10" where as the Gobi rack (7") and Simpson III tent (15") combo is about 22")
Interaction - J30 (I have had to answer more question from both Jeep owners and non Jeep owners about the J30. Honestly John should issue you a pile of spec sheets to hand out when you buy a J30)

Hey wildjeeper here are some thoughts on the J30 vs. RTT. We owned a ARB Simpson III tent for 9 years and have logged a few trips with it to include a trip to the Arctic Ocean and the Labrador Highway. We switched over to a J30 about a year ago and have made a few short term camping trips so far. Each has advantages and disadvantages, for us we broke it down like this.

Storage - J30 (since it stays on the Jeep we have no need to find a place in the garage to store it and our 2 awnings)
Mounting - J30 (with it being always on the Jeep the days of carrying, lifting, mounting and bolting are over. Which makes it easier for those last minute trips)
Driving - J30 (with the lower profile of the J30 we have less road/wind noise, can maintain about 17 MPG, and have a lower center of gravity which help both on road and in off-camber situations on the trail. Also with the J30 I can still park in my garage)
Deployment - J30 (I think the others have covered this one but I will add that you have no need for a large parking spot. As long as you can park you have a place to sleep)
Sleeping - Simpson III (with the wife and 2 small dogs, we appreciated the larger sleeping area of the Simpson III. Getting up in the middle of the night is definitely a 2 person process in the J30. But one advantage the J30 has is that when it's 19 degrees outside you can run the remote start on your Jeep with the heater on to warm things up)
Usage - J30 (we really like the idea that we can stand up inside the Jeep and change out of our wet clothes (dry off the dogs) before climbing up into the J30.
Stowing - J30 (if need be the wife can easily handle that by herself in a rather short period of time)
Cleaning - J30 (easier to open, clean, dry and stow)
Weight - J30 (weighs about 260 pounds and the Gobi rack and Simpson III tent combo weighed in at about 293 pounds)
Height - J30 (has a height of 10" where as the Gobi rack (7") and Simpson III tent (15") combo is about 22")
Interaction - J30 (I have had to answer more question from both Jeep owners and non Jeep owners about the J30. Honestly John should issue you a pile of spec sheets to hand out when you buy a J30)
Very informative, thank you for taking the time to list your pros and cons from using both. Really does seem like the J30 is pretty impossible to beat for overall performance.

rubicon91

Explorer
The only part to this that you are leaving out is that you still have either the weight of the hard top or soft top depending on what you are running on the Jeep. So add in more weight for RTT and Gobi Rack. You hit the rest spot on. But 17MPG where how lol. Only time I saw that was 3 days of driving to Moab doing 70mph the entire way. Actually got up to 20 mpg average which I have never seen before or after that trip. I get around 14 approx depending on how fast or slow I drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles