Uroc 2006

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone going to Uroc this weekend?

I had not heard of it before but saw the commercial on TV last night. It's a rock crawling competition where these guys try to make it up a huge rock pile and usually wind up flipping over backwards! Looks like there should be a lot of action!

More info: Event Itinerary: Extreme Nationals West Series Phoenix, AZ March 10-11, 2006 Thursday March 9, 2006 4:00 - 8:00 PM Tech Friday, March 10, 2006 9:00 AM - 2:00 Tech 9:00 AM - 5:00 Media Sign In 4:30 PM Team Meeting 5:30 PM Officials Meeting 6:30 PM Staging 7:00 PM Event Begins End Of Event: Team/Officials Meeting regarding Day Two.

http://www.uroc.com/new/videogallery.php --
here is a link to the website and a "Best Of" video
It's not 100% Tread Lightly but it's pretty cool what these rigs are capable of!

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I am not a fan of these so-called "rock crawling" events. There is no crawling involved, and IMO, they give the real rock crawling croud a bad name. These guys are not crawling, they are racing, and IMO, racing should not be allowed on public land. They are all about standing on the skinny pedal and putting on a good show for the croud (which brings in $$$ for the sponsors). But, surprizingly, the most damage I have seen to the enviroment from these events was not from the vehicles...it was from the spectators! The sanctioning bodies usually do a very good job of keeping the tracks clean (immediately cleaning up any oil spills, removing tire marks on the rocks, assign HUGE point penalties for running over even a single bush/shrub/tree/etc....in fact, the point cost for hitting a bush is so bad that it will pretty much mean that you will not win the event), but the spectators trample anything and everything in sight, leave trash all over the place, and generally act like pigs.

How's that for an opinionated response to a yes/no question?:p

So, in short, I won't be going. :wavey:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Actually your response was very educational for someone like myself who has never attended this type of event. I think it will be on ESPN so maybe I can still watch the vehicles show off their capabilities without contributing to the spectator stampede!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I have no problem with these organized races but I also believe they should occur on private property.

I don't care for their "The Rocks Must be Punished!" advertising campaign. It sends the wrong message, I believe.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
calamaridog said:
I have no problem with these organized races but I also believe they should occur on private property.

Yes, exactly! I'm all for organized events...just not on public land, or if they violate any of the 30 million enviormental laws we have. The way some of the events are ran, with people literally going out and cleaning tire marks off of the rocks after each vehicle goes through, is nice to see. Now just take that same care of the "track" which is on private land, and stop using public land for these events.

I also don't like the advertizing...of course I don't like most auto-makers adveritzing either...people already do too many dumb things, we don't need to give them any more ideas or promote the excessive use of testosterone while driving.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Westy said:
The UROC event this weekend is being held @ Firebird raceway on a man made course.

Glad to hear that! I don't follow the "sport" much, as it doesn't really interest me (other than being friends with one or two people who own/drive/compete). I hope the man made courses are a continueing trend. There might be hope for "rock racing" after all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz