Ural right?

Benjisan

Observer
Okay okay, I lifted that title from an article I read recently. Don't feel like citing it properly but its on the net somewhere. On to the questions. Ural's have always intrigued me and I always hear stories about how great they are supposed to be offroad due to the 2wd design. Unfortunately I've never had a chance to drive one or even know someone who has.

Are they really as good off road as their owners make them out to be? Does anyone have any personal experience with these WWII relics? I'd love to buy the Ural Gear-Up for some fun in the backcountry. And who doesn't like a motorcycle with a sidecar that comes with a machine gun mount?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
They have a very strong following, and are quite capable; however, long and even short term engine reliability are real issues....as in a new engine about every 3,000 miles.... :yikes:

Really...I'm not joking.

There are a couple of folks here who have them, and they look and drive great, but are always, always breaking down...major problems.

Try a search for the Urals on Advrider.com

-H-

Benjisan

Observer
Are they the old imports or the new ones? The hype says the quality of the Ural has been improved. I'm gonna have to get in touch with some Ural owners and figure this out. I love the concept but I don't have the time/patience/money to be fixing an engine every several thousand miles.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
From what I know, the new ones, imported into Seattle, have the same issues as the older ones. A gal in Phoenix who's an Adventure Rider has one, and she's had nothing but major issues, and is going to engine number three at about 5,000 miles....

-H-

ErrinV

Observer
Benjisan said:
Are they really as good off road as their owners make them out to be? Does anyone have any personal experience with these WWII relics? I'd love to buy the Ural Gear-Up for some fun in the backcountry. And who doesn't like a motorcycle with a sidecar that comes with a machine gun mount?

Here's a recent report from Advrider from the famous Mr. Cob and Don.

billiebob

Found this gem.... looks like a Boxer.... no idea who made it or when.... might even be photoshopped but who cares eh.
272836552_1426313017818815_6984083689882316945_n.jpg

billiebob

Are they really as good off road as their owners make them out to be?
YES, have a buddy is Spokane, he often drives it to work in the winter, Golden Retriever in the sidecar. He passes traffic spun out on hills every time it snows. YES Ural 2WD is Golden. Even as a commuter in winter.

Think of the specs... very light 3 wheels, 2 driven... Skinny tires.... fabulous ground clearance and LOCKED lol. Will blow the doors off a Tacoma once the Tacoma is stuck. Light being the key.

They might not beat an R1.... unless it rains.... but the Ural is invincible.

Last edited:

TDL2015

I bought my Ural Gear-up brand new in 2017. It's the first year that the odometer is in miles instead of kilometers. All I have done to the bike is change the oil, gear box fluids and use good gas. (at least 91 Octane, no ethanol.)
I have driven it mostly around town and back in the woods. I have taken one 700-mile trip that I broke up into two days.

First the negative. 1) Tech support is NONEXISTANT, be comfortable with diving into an engine and diagnosing/fixing issues yourself. (This has been a huge issue for me as I am not the most mechanically savvy).

2) Learn to change the tires yourself. I took mine to a shop that deals mostly with tractors and big trucks (only option) they destroyed my inner tube changing the tire. I will be very proactive about learning how to change my own tires.

3) The engine is cold blooded and underpowered. The bike weighs in at a dry weight of 749 pounds, the engine is a 750 boxer (opposable piston) based off of the BMW R1. (My memory might be a bit off, feel free to double check my numbers.)

4) It's a four speed, learn to enjoy the fact that this is not a thousand mile a day bike. You have to be a person that enjoys the trip as much as the destination.

Now the positive. 1) It seems that with every identified issue, Ural addresses and changes things to fix the issue. Example, I have been told that the 2020 Urals have a better ignition so that they aren't as cold blooded, and it mitigates the famous "Ural cough".

2) I have had more issues with my 05 Harley sportster then I have had with the engine in my Ural. The engine sounds like a friggin sewing machine.

3) You have all the torque in the world!

4)You have all the space you need for as long as you like. If you wanted to plan drop-boxes and resupply drops, you could spend months in the middle of nowhere on your Ural. That two wheels drive will get you almost anywhere a side-by-side UTV will go.

5) It's fun to ride with your dog!

Feel free to contact me if you have other questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles