$3200: Cleveland Cyclewerks Misfit

$3700: Hyosung GT250, Kawasaki KLX250S, Suzuki TU250X

$4000: Honda CBR250R, Kawasaki Ninja 250

$5000: Honda CRF230L

$6600: Yamaha WR250X

source: Hell For Leather online magazine http://hellforleathermagazine.com

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Biggest reason imho, a 250cc is what most motorcycle schools use to train new riders on.

Sort of like the GI's returning home from WWII, they drove a Jeep over there, and bought up Jeeps when they returned home. They knew what they would and wouldn't do.

I went with a 250cc for my latest ride, mainly because the 82cc just wouldn't cut it being a daily driver. Plus the 250cc is only 130# heavier than my 82cc, so weighing in at 389#, it's easy to handle and balance. Plus it's not too heavy incase of accidental falling over.

Add in the 250# on a fairly light frame is just as good a speed demon as the bigger V twins, lighter offroad makes it more appealing.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Was just browsing craigslist here and an NX250 sold for 450 bucks...well that was the asking price...day late and dollar short again...

Capt Sport

Adventurer
I think it has to do with the extremely high gas prices we experienced no that long ago. Manufactures had smaller bikes in the works as demand increased due to those high gas prices and after the crash/adjustment in the economy they went ahead with the plans for some smaller bikes. Look how many scooters we have here in the states these days. Wasn't that long ago we didn't have that many choices. But America being what it is, so spread out, scooters aren't the answer for most people. That combined with the stigma of riding a scooter and it makes since to offer some smaller bike choices.

Also, keep in mind Kawasaki's best selling motorcycle for years and years has been the Ninja 250.

With the economy still struggling and gas prices on the rise again, I believe more and more people are looking at bikes as a viable alternative to transportation. I know several young people here in Southern California that are looking at motorcycles rather than cars as a primary means of transpo. They see no reason to strap themselves with car payments, high insurance etc when a used bikes are reliable and available cheap. I've had quite a few ask me about Motorcycle Safety Course's when I've been out riding my DS.

I for one am downsizing my bike choice with my next street bike. I'm looking real hard at a Ninja 250. From what I've read here on the interweb it seems like it'd fit the bill quite nicely. I'd just like to take a spin on one first to see how it handles, but if it measures up like I've read it does I'm sold. And as a nice kicker, the new style go used for $2500 or less and the old style you can get a nice example for right around $1500 in these parts. Combine that with a nice comfortable ride, fun light bike on the twisties and 60-65 mpg and they seem to be a great combination.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I don't see the Ace on Cleveland Cycleworks webpage, but I am digging the design of the Hooligun.
picture

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/bikes/tha-hooligun-by-cleveland-cyclewerks/

sandalscout

Adventurer
They seem to have forgotten the XT250. The WR tends to overshadow it, but I'm quite fond of my overly-simply XT.

I used a DR200 during my MSF class and really liked it a lot. When it came time to buy a bike, I really thought I wanted to get a 650. After sitting on both the XR650L and a KLR650, I realized that I was not ready for a bike that tall or heavy. I'm 6'1" and really felt both of those bikes were too tall in factory configuration. I ended up with my XT instead, saved a couple of grand and have been very, very happy with it. I have problems keeping up with the "big dogs" at times, but I attribute that entirely to my newness to riding off pavement and every trip out find myself getting more comfortable and faster. I do what I like and catch up with them at the next major intersection.

Every once and while I think I want to get a 400 or 650 machine, but honestly, I don't need one. I can haul enough gear on the 250, it makes me travel light and that's a bonus, it keeps my off the interstate, also a bonus, and it's super light and super fun. I think with some suspension work, and building the seat height up some and I'll be really happy with it. If I can find longer cables to raise the bars more than the 1.2" I already have would help a bunch too.

I've been wanting to buy a bigger bike (maybe a Bonneville or another retro standard) but with the pricing on the XT225 where it is for a 3-5 year old bike, I'm honestly considering a second sub-250 for a commuter/corner carver/cruiser. The 225 with taller gearing and it's 6-speed trans would do fine for the 60mph top speed I need.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
If you are looking for a casual ride (city commuting and casual bumming around the back roads), the little 250s are absolutely perfect.

The last time I was in Mexico, I think I put more miles on the DR200 than the Husaberg. The DR was just a great ride for casual exploring . . .

What kind of "weight" can the 250s pull? I think they run approx 25 hp (vs 35-45 for 650s) and I weigh upwards of 300.

I am looking at the KLR 650s, 2009 models, used approx 3-3500 range (4200 new from dealers in several cases)

The 250s are cheaper and get better mpg but when you put ME on there, the mpg may drop back to the 50s that I expect from the 650?

Previously I had a CB750 and later an 1100, both were great and moved me along quite nicely. I am NOT a racer by any means, and would like to get a dual sport for the dirt roads, MILD off-roading around my property and communting back and forth to work.

I hate the interstate on a mcycle, and take the back roads when commuting, so is the 250 "enough bike?" (Another big PLUS is several of the 250s are fuel injected!!)

JpNerd

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
What kind of "weight" can the 250s pull?

That all depends on what *you* want it to do. My '81 Honda XL250S, would push me (a shade over 200#) at near 70mph -- with a roached top end. It only made 17 hp from the factory -- I'd guess it was down 25 - 30% from that. It would take a bit to get there, but it would do it. How fast do you want to go from 0mph to your cruising speed? How much power do you want to have left over (available to pass slow traffic, etc) once you are at your cruising speed? That's where you will see the big difference between the big singles and the little singles (given your stated use).

ihatemybike

Explorer
I'm looking to get a 125 or 250 sometime this year.

I've been going in stages since I decided I wanted a motor after schedule changed and I can no longer bicycle to work.

First I was looking into adding one of those little gas motors to one of my bicycles.
1d747d55f86dfcf3c8d1f1b23a4d7537.jpg

Then a beater rally acquaintance let me try a Sachs MadAss 125 and I thought about getting one for a while.
madass125500kt8.jpg

I'm into the Supermoto style bikes and have been looking into those, but the smallest stock ones I've seen were 250s. I stopped at a dealer near me to look at them in person and found the Sachs X-Road 125. Such a sweet looking bike.
front-500-xroad.jpg

However due to an overheating problem the dealer won't sell his stock. I'm currently discussing with this dealer taking one on loan for a couple months to see if I can figure out a way to cure the overheating, cause he doesn't want to pay his employees to look at them anymore. If successful, I'll receive a significant discount on the bike that I worked on. If not, I'll look into getting a 250 supermoto.

Paladin

Banned
What kind of "weight" can the 250s pull? I think they run approx 25 hp (vs 35-45 for 650s) and I weigh upwards of 300.

I am looking at the KLR 650s, 2009 models, used approx 3-3500 range (4200 new from dealers in several cases)

The 250s are cheaper and get better mpg but when you put ME on there, the mpg may drop back to the 50s that I expect from the 650?

Previously I had a CB750 and later an 1100, both were great and moved me along quite nicely. I am NOT a racer by any means, and would like to get a dual sport for the dirt roads, MILD off-roading around my property and communting back and forth to work.

I hate the interstate on a mcycle, and take the back roads when commuting, so is the 250 "enough bike?" (Another big PLUS is several of the 250s are fuel injected!!)

JpNerd

The HP of the 250's is widely variable. The WR250R/X has significantly more power than the others. At 300lbs, I'd suggest the 650. It will be more suited and handle the weight better.

I really wanted a DR650, and would have bought one but for the insurance prices in Canada. The WR250 runs $about $500/year, and the DR650 was going to be over $800 or something stupid I couldn't justify. So, I decided the WR250 was "good enough". Insurance prices are much lower in the US, so your equation might be different.

The WR250 will pull 70mph easy, and tops out at 95ish, but it is wound out a bit. A 650 would be more relaxed. 99% of my driving is at 55mph however, so the 250 is fine there. Also, the WR250's handling, both on-road and off-road blows away any 250. But with your size, I just think a 650 would be more suited.

You really need to test drive everything to see. I wouldn't think any of the carbed 250's would work very well for you.

And Fuel Injection is VERY nice. My bike is stored back in the shed for the winter. I last drove it in early November. Last weekend I went back to see if it would fire up, it was about -20C. It still has summer blend gas in it (doesn't atomize well in the low temps). 2 seconds on the starter and it fired right up. I was frankly very surprised. You could spend an hour trying to start a carbed bike in the same conditions and it never would (believe me, I've tried). Well, I do have a trick... boil some water and then pour it on the carb to pre-heat the gas. But you don't have to mess with any of that with a fuel injection.

scarysharkface

Explorer
Lighter bikes are more fun off-road. The newer-design 250-ish cc machines are exceptional.

I've been riding my DR350 a lot more than my KLR650 over the last year or so. I might even sell the KLR.

John

Paladin

Banned
The DR350 is a nicely sized machine. If Yamaha would make a WR400, it would be the perfect bike. I'm already lusting after the 290 big-bore kit for my bike...

Bud Tugly

Bikes in the 250cc range are nice and light for off-road riding and plenty powerful enough for exploring woodland trails and back roads. Many people have made amazing journies on bikes of this size and even smaller.

The main drawback is that most are running close to full throttle at highway speeds and have very little reserve power. Fine on lightly traveled 2-lanes but kinda underpowered if you need to cruise the freeways and interstates.

IMO the ideal bike would be a 350-500cc dual sport bike weighing 300 lbs or less with a wide-range 6 speed transmission. It would be small and light enough for tight trails and have enough punch to keep up with traffic anywhere.

Unfortunately, the big 4 Japanese makers have totally abandoned this niche, at least in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles