Upsized Tires/Wheels & Vehicle Performance

eggman918

Adventurer
When I did the diesel swap in the rig in my signature I went from 235-85 16's to 295-70 17's but I also regeared and went from vac boost to hydro boost those changes gave me better braking and handling as well as better mileage at 75mph.......but it was done looking at the big picture and included to get the final drive ratio I wanted.The added weight of the larger tires is not as large a percentage of the equation in my Crewcab with it's curb weight of 8,000# the Cooper ST maxx's are the best tires I had on this truck in the 25 years I've owned it so I can't say hoe well it would behave with smaller ST maxx's unsprung weight is more of a concern in a lighter vehicle than it is in my "tank".

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My point was that the article is neither complete nor accurate. Results may be correct, be we can't tell from what they published. Or maybe their proofreading and editing is just sloppy. Don't know, can't tell.

(none)

Adventurer
Did TJ rubis not have ABS? The video shows them lighting up the front brakes in the brake test. That leads to some of the outrageously long stopping distance.

Also, it never mentions if it is an auto or manual trans, does it?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
It's a buddy's jeep; no ABS and it's an auto. He just had the 4.88's installed, which should help.

Jack

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Seems like the writer is not too strong in math, either. Says the wheel/tire combo weighs 106#, then says it's 70# for the tire and 38# for the wheel?

That's funny considering that the author is a Geo-Physicist during the day. I'm pretty sure he has a handle on arithmetic and data analysis. I'd be quicker to forgive a typo...

I'm sure he would respond, however he's in South America for the month with the Dakar Rally.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Then it would appear that there is no excuse for the error. Somebody screwed up. It's not a big deal, but just another reason not to believe everything stated in the article, until more detail is provided.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Anyone with a basic knowledge and understanding of physics should be able to decipher what happens as a result of certain "upgrades", some folks refer to this as common sense even though it isn't so common.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne