Upscale expedition defender 90..???

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Gee Terri-Ann.. I wasn't expecting anything negative from you... Not sure if you can see the question marks after the heading....and why can't it be an upscale expedition defender... The added sound deadening and the cooler a/c capabilities coupled with the proven reliability of the low compression engine with a supercharger designed for this engine should allow this to get you through any expedition expeditiously... As far as another similar one not making it...I'm sure your vehicle has had problems on any of your famous expeditions..and for that fact I'm sure plenty of newer land rovers have also...does that mean all old series trucks are going to break down..?. .. No need to answer that,...I guess one positive has come from your viewing this thread, it's one less thread you have to waste your time reading and throwing your 2 cents in on... Now back to our regularly scheduled transmission...

TeriAnn

Explorer
Gee Terri-Ann.. I wasn't expecting anything negative from you...

Sorry, I guess I typed while in a negative mood. Your rebuild looks to be very well done. Its just that I stopped visiting the expo forum a few years ago because I wasn't really seeing anything relevant to successful long distance overland travel. I have recently come back to see if either things have changed or my perception of what is here has changed. When I saw the thread title I was hoping for a rebuild with features that would help the vehicle better support its role as an overland travel vehicle. I saw pictures of a really nice rebuild but no overland travel features. I'm always looking for new ideas that innovative people come up with. As I have been writing my book I have been narrowly focused on long distance overland travel, the vehicles, modifications, gear, and techniques involved. I guess I'm just a little too tightly focused right now.

I typed my disappointment when I really should not have replied. I should have just gone on to look at other topics. My apologizes for being too tightly focused and critical. I meant nothing negative about your rebuild. :oops:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
No problem... Vehicles today have become reliable enough that there really isn't too much you need to do to the vehicle to make it capable for overlanding, where the modifications come in is for making it more expedition/wilderness ready, by that I mean the accessories that facilitate longer distances/times between civilization and the amenities provided with it. If you haven't already read my camel trophy 110 build (I know you're familiar with that truck.) or my 130 expedition build, I think you may find some interest in those..

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Quick Question,

If you were doing a build for yourself, and wanted to keep costs relatively low, would you still use Dynamat or would you use a cheaper alternative?

Thanks

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I have used other alternatives before and been happy with them..and others I have been very disappointed in... I know one of the bigger Land Rover builders uses the roofing stuff and swears by it..the dynamat just has a nice reflective sealing surface which hopefully reduces smell and exposing the inner sticky stuff, but poses a problem if you want to paint over it.. There are plenty of alternatives on eBay...I did try the g-mat stuff and it didn't really stick too good.. Buy a small piece of the stuff you are thinking about and try it...but I would stay clear of the cheapest stuff..maybe go for a mid range..!!

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I added some pics to the 110 build I am doing at the same time, of another sound deadening product I have used and been pretty happy with..it was called black magic, but commonly referred to as lizard skin....

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So with the addition of the supercharger to this build I feel it's going a little more towards the sporty style than stock, now I'm not sure which set of seats I should use..

The sporty recaro style...excellent for those long distance treks across the Himalayas.stops you from being bounced around over the dry creek crossings..

image.jpg

Or the comfy later model defender heated seats, perfect for that trip to Starbucks on those cold late nights..

image.jpg

So with the addition of the supercharger to this build I feel it's going a little more towards the sporty style than stock, now I'm not sure which set of seats I should use..

The sporty recaro style...excellent for those long distance treks across the Himalayas.stops you from being bounced around over the dry creek crossings..

View attachment 361389

Or the comfy later model defender heated seats, perfect for that trip to Starbucks on those cold late nights..

View attachment 361390

If it were my Defender, which clearly it is not! I would go with classy all around. Personally I think they are much better seat all across the board and really just fit this rig almost perfectly. Love the build thread, can't wait to see more.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Mounted up the doors and roof and front fenders, just to make sure all gaps etc are good...needs some fettlin...:)... Installed the aluminum performance 4 core radiator and large thermo fan assy...just to make sure there is clearance for the supercharger.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Fitted up both front seats to make sure there is enough clearance with the internal cage and the centre console...installed the bigger wheels I think I will be using, I have a set of lowered springs I may install also..

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
That supercharger actually came out on a Range Rover special edition vehicles..by overfinch I think...the control box is by timer bros and they may have some info on it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke