Upscale expedition defender 90..???

The Rover Shop

Explorer
While I know this is a bit of a stretch in the expedition realm of things, and if it's not wanted here then mods please feel free to delete it.. Until then...here goes..

I've had this low mileage 1997 defender 90 station wagon

image.jpeg

sitting around for a while and trying to decide what to do with it....when the final editions came out it was decided...I wanted a replica, and one with a bit of a difference.., I decided on the autobiography version as I liked the two tone colour scheme...

image.jpeg

While the truck was low mileage it had some issues that needed to be addressed, the body cappings were showing some signs of corrosion and the rear crossmember needed replacing.. So apart she was torn..:)

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So all repairs and necessary bodywork is done and off for its paint job...

image.jpg.

image.jpg

image.jpg

All parts are painted separately ..engine bay blacked out and complete interior painted the silver, upper portion of the interior painted black...going from white to black has to be the worst colour change to go with..:(

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
While the only expedition I expect this thing to be going on is a trip through the hamptons to fetch some grey poupon I still wanted to lift it a little...so a complete new 2 inch suspension system is going on...

image.jpg

This will also allow me to use this set of wheels and Tyres I have laying around....if ya gotta have bling ya might as well have big bling..:)... Not quite sure how it's going to look yet so the verdict is still out on whether I will use these or not..

image.jpg

The problem with driving defenders in hot weather is that the floors get really hot and you always feel like there is hot air getting into the car...and they are very noisy inside...now the station wagons with their hard tops are a little better but I wanted to improve on that...so the complete inside is done in dynamat extreme sound proofing and heat insulation material, they say you only need to cover 1/3 of any panel to reduce the noise but I wanted to do the whole lot..

image.jpg

image.jpg

And with a decent light shining underneath the truck you can see why there is hot air getting in...and water...so everywhere there is gaps gets sealing caulked..

image.jpg

After..

image.jpg

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Everything gets the dynamat treatment...you'd think I was getting this stuff for free..:)....I'm not..:(

image.jpg

The underside of the floor panels gets done and so will the tops of them..

image.jpg

Drivers and passengers footwell compartments are getting inside and out as well..

image.jpg

image.jpg

Easy enough to do while the fenders are off..:)

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Battery box as well as the passengers side box gets done inside also since these act as a noise box transmitting noise into the cabin..

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So while the interior is completely out I decided this truck is going to have some nice refinements, one of them being a decent stereo...so nows the time to run/hide monster speaker cable for the rear speakers...

image.jpg

All hidden and taped away into the corner recesses..will run to the amplifier to be hidden in the passenger seat cubby box..

image.jpg

Last edited:

rokrawlr

Observer
Very cool! Can't wait to see the finished product, nothing wrong with having nice toys as well as utilitarian...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Since the truck has been sitting and not run basically for the last 5+ years and even though it only has 38k miles on it I went ahead and took the heads off, had them reconditioned and upgraded valve guides installed and replaced all seals and gaskets, took the front timing cover off and inspected the oil pump gears and packed with grease to get a good quick oil pressure on startup..replaced front and rear crank seals and put a set of bearings through it....bores looked great so I didn't put rings in... Decided to go the extra mile and installed a new set of the upgraded 4 hole injectors that had all been match flowed.

image.jpg

Installed the supercharger base plate... Valve covers have been powder coated black but will have the ribs on the top sanded and polished..

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Very cool! Can't wait to see the finished product, nothing wrong with having nice toys as well as utilitarian...

Thanks...trying to stop myself from getting toooo carried away on it... Sometimes you can go too far to the point that it's too nice to drive..and too expensive...and takes too long..:()

M35A2

Tinkerer
Very nice for some serious Palm Beach mall crawling. (No offense.) :)

What would have been the retail selling price of that rig, before and after you're completed?

How will the Dynamat underneath and in the engine compartment stand up to Florida rainstorms and such? I'll bet that thing is going to be awfully quiet and easy cool in the hot sun.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Thanks, I figure it will also be nice for cold climates as well, keep the cold out and the heat in.. As far as the dynamat is concerned. That stuff sticks real well and I used the special dynamat tape that seals the edges where I could, I will probably be undercoating the bits underneath just so as to provide a good water sealing on the edges.. As far a s the selling prices... Last nice clean example that I sold was a conniston green 97 d-90 with slightly higher miles and it easily fetched 75k... So they are getting really good money, keep in mind that the 97 is the last year and the only year for auto and is completely legal across the USA.. I believe California is having all sorts of crackdowns on ROW trucks lately.. As far as after completed...I'm not sure... It's all about finding the right person that simply has to have it and likes everything that has been done...or close enough that I could change some things around to make it exactly what they want..

M35A2

Tinkerer
Thanks. You are probably aware that Dynamat markets a spray that goes on like flat black undercoating. It's useful for dribbling over inside seams and curvy bits difficult to wrap. I agree with undercoating over the Dynamat on exterior or underhood surfaces. I would not be surprised for that truck to bring $145K done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles