Upper Peninsula Overland Adventure Weekend August 23rd-24th

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
yooper said:
Never liked the 80 interior, feels cramped to me. I love my 100. Everything I've read says the only weak thing is the front diff. Installing an ARB locker seems to solve that problem. I will probably end up doing that at some point.

I find the interior on the 80 to be comfortably sized except I'd like a tad more legroom for the front seats. One more click back on the track would do it, but I have freakishly long legs. For one person, the 80 interior has plenty of interior room for my setup (sleeping inside) but with two, it becomes a bit more cramped. I think I could setup a 100 similary to my 80 and it would be perfect for two. The other big thing for me is the 4.7, I LOVE that engine in my Tundra. Someday, I'll pull the trigger on the 100, throw on an OME kit, some bumpers and call it good. I'll probably never get rid of the 80 though.

FJ40 Guy

Observer
Anybody consider a Sequoia?

Does anybody lift & wheel the Sequoia? I drove one a couple of years ago with the iForce V8, and it was a rocket sled, I thought 1st gear was insane. They can be had pretty reasonably too, compared to a 100 (though they are not as nicely appointed perhaps). I thought it rode better and was MUCH faster than the 100. Can be found with low range too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike Smith

yooper

Observer
FJ40 Guy said:
Does anybody lift & wheel the Sequoia? I drove one a couple of years ago with the iForce V8, and it was a rocket sled, I thought 1st gear was insane. They can be had pretty reasonably too, compared to a 100 (though they are not as nicely appointed perhaps). I thought it rode better and was MUCH faster than the 100. Can be found with low range too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike Smith

My wife drives one. Not lifted. I put slightly taller tires on it. It's fairly capable off road, as good as the 100 on a given obstacle, BUT it's not nearly as robust, not even close. The 4WD system is overly complicated and has a lot of stuff that breaks easy. The front differential automatic disconnector (you can put it into 2WD with a button on the dash and it disconnects the front driveshaft inside the differential electrically) failed on ours, which caused all sorts of problems. We ended up with a new transfer case and a bunch of other parts under warranty, but I was not impressed with the parts I saw nor with the design of the system.

I would not trust a Sequoia for long distance overland expedition type travel. As you know, the LandCruiser was designed to cross Africa or circle the world with minimal failures. The Sequoia was designed to be the ideal American soccer mom vehicle for soccer moms that hate minivans. In that role it's the best on the market.

On snowy, icy roads though the traction control is amazing - it's by far the most capable vehicle I've ever driven on winter roads.

cocco78

Adventurer
The gay bar story a few pages back was great, I really like the alarm in the bathroom!

Oh no major damage to the wrangler during the gay beach chain gang. But the locker was toast, junk detroit ez-locker. I replaced it with an Aussie locker and highly recomend them!

Coastie

Does anyone that attended this run have a track log? I just moved to the U.P and might wanna do do this run this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior