Upper Coyote Canyon/Bailey's Cabin/Toro Peak Run.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

teotwaki

Excelsior!
...edit .........I stopped at the Santa Rosa Spring site on the way down and got the Spring working! I brought home some awesome Mountain Spring Water!
2009_1018UpCoyoteCanyonSantaR0246.jpg

what was broken and how did you fix it?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

The spring is gravity fed.

I remembered on the way up when Miles was trying to turn it on, that the pipe could freely move back and forth and I thought that was odd.

What you do to get it going is to lay the pipe on it's side on the ground until the water flows. Then you can put the pipe back up vertical and it will stay flowing.

There is a shut off valve. So if it get's shut off, just repeat this process.

2009_1018UpCoyoteCanyonSantaR0076.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I'm confused.... the article says "Private vehicle travel is no longer allowed in the area, making the 12 mile journey from the Horse Camp more worth the effort"

So did you actually go to the cabin? Thanks..... :)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I'm confused.... the article says "Private vehicle travel is no longer allowed in the area, making the 12 mile journey from the Horse Camp more worth the effort"

So did you actually go to the cabin? Thanks..... :)

He is talking about heading up to the cabin on horseback from the Borrego Springs side. Horses can do the whole route, but vehicles can't.

That's why we had to drive in from the north to reach the cabin. Which is a legal trail. See pics of our trucks at the cabin.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
He is talking about heading up to the cabin on horseback from the Borrego Springs side. Horses can do the whole route, but vehicles can't.

That's why we had to drive in from the north to reach the cabin. Which is a legal trail. See pics of our trucks at the cabin.

Okay, that makes sense. I am ignorant of the terrain there. :elkgrin:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Looks like a great run you guys! I still need to get up to Santa Rosa for some camping and exploring. Thanks for sharing.

racemedic

Observer
The spring is gravity fed.

I remembered on the way up when Miles was trying to turn it on, that the pipe could freely move back and forth and I thought that was odd.

What you do to get it going is to lay the pipe on it's side on the ground until the water flows. Then you can put the pipe back up vertical and it will stay flowing.

There is a shut off valve. So if it get's shut off, just repeat this process.

2009_1018UpCoyoteCanyonSantaR0076.jpg

In all the years that I have been going up there I have never seen it off. This is good to know if it is ever off when I stop.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Remembering good times!

Thank you TD64....for the Brew on Santa Rosa Mountain!

BigSweLLIPA.jpg

If somebody can hurry up and find me an "Igniter".....we can do this again soon!:sombrero::elkgrin::costumed-smiley-007:ylsmoke:

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Does anybody have GPS coordinates for Bailey's Cabin, and that Fireplace?

I can't seem to find reference to these locations in any of my books...

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Does anybody have GPS coordinates for Bailey's Cabin, and that Fireplace?

I can't seem to find reference to these locations in any of my books...

Pretty hard to miss the cabin. Its basically at the south end of the Upper Coyote Canyon trail (AKA: North Coyote Canyon Trail). The trail along the sandy wash takes you right to it as far I can remember. You can see the beginning of the sandy wash trail in Runner's photo here:

attachment.php

Here is the canyon looking south, from on top of the entry hill
130677002_TaUZT-XL.jpg

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Thanks guys.

Attempted to do Bailey's Cabin and Toro Peak last week. Got to the North Coyote Canyon trailhead only to find out that the trail is closed until Sept 30th.

Went up Santa Rosa Mountain truck trail to Toro Peak. Explored the whole area, drank the delicious cool, clean mountain spring water erupting from Santa Rosa Spring. ...continued on to find that you can't actually go all the way up to Toro Peak! The trail is closed 0.3 miles from the peak. But we had a good time anyway, and had a great night in camp between Santa Rosa Peak, and Toro Peak.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles