Upper Coyote Canyon/Bailey's Cabin/Toro Peak Run.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

1leg

Explorer
We have a group of guys meeting in Escondido for 7am departure to the meet up in anza at 9am.

If you want to join in PM me for Direction the meet spot.

Jerry

billy

Newbee Joining In...?

Hey all, I am a long time friend of TD64. I'd like to join the group for the overnight trip.

A small introduction...
I am 34 and active duty Navy living in Santee. I drive a 4x4 Xterra and this will be my first 4x4 adventure in SoCal. In the past I did some off roading with a 1989 Nissan 4x4 truck I used to have in Oklahoma and Tenessee, but nothing extreme, mostly mud and stream crossings, but that was years ago. I miss that Nissan truck and am totally stoked to have a 4x4 Nissan again!

--Billy

1leg

Explorer
Hey all, I am a long time friend of TD64. I'd like to join the group for the overnight trip.

A small introduction...
I am 34 and active duty Navy living in Santee. I drive a 4x4 Xterra and this will be my first 4x4 adventure in SoCal. In the past I did some off roading with a 1989 Nissan 4x4 truck I used to have in Oklahoma and Tenessee, but nothing extreme, mostly mud and stream crossings, but that was years ago. I miss that Nissan truck and am totally stoked to have a 4x4 Nissan again!

--Billy

Welcome to expo Billy. I'll pm you a google map to my house, Tony is meeting me there at 7am on Saturday..

pray4surf

Explorer
pray4surf's plan is to depart Oceanside around 7:00a Saturday morning. We'll head east on 76 to I-15. We'll look for others on the road - and see everyone at the meeting spot.

Rick

S

Scenic WonderRunner

A small introduction...

--Billy

You are on the list Billy.

Welcome to ExPo!:sombrero:

Miles

Observer
I'm joining the trip as a ride-along with my brother, Gear. The upper part of Coyote Canyon is new for me and I'm excited about the Turkey Grade switchbacks to get down to valley floor where the Cabin is.

I read about Turkey Grade on Dirtopia, where I also found a .kmz file for the trail on google earth. http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Coyote_Canyon_Trail

I also checked out the geocache at Bailey's Cabin.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c4cbd738-1ff3-43e4-8b4a-ca9aced43a24

I look forward to seeing the Expo Group.:wings:

-Miles

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Can someone help me figure out where this cabin is? Is it still there?

This does not look like the same cabin, in my fireplace pictures above. I hope we can find it. It would be a good spot for a future trip on a cold night, with "Permission"!

http://deepcanyon.ucnrs.org/santa_rosa_cabin.htm

Santa Rosa Cabin

The Santa Rosa cabin is located between Toro Peak and Santa Rosa Mountain at an elevation of 2,650 m (7,300 ft). The rustic cabin is owned by Friends of the Desert Mountains and use of the cabin requires permission from Friends. The Director of Boyd Deep Canyon should be consulted to request permission and facilitate arrangements with Friends.

The cabin is usually accessible to high clearance vehicles from April to November, but access is restricted by snow during winter months. Users should regard the cabin as a back country weather shelter and plan to be self sufficient.

cabin.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Looks like I'm a no-go gents.

The FlipPac is on, but a close friend has received last minute orders to Afghanistan next week so we are sending him off with a party tomorrow.

See you guys next time! :)

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Can someone help me figure out where this cabin is? Is it still there?

This does not look like the same cabin, in my fireplace pictures above.
The fireplace in your pics is at 7800'. Either they listed the wrong elevation or it's a different cabin. Also, the orientation of the fireplace looks different from how it's setup in the cabin photo (note large rock behind the lower part of the roof).

Here's a pic I took from a different angle (no big rock):
296813192_7mynR-M.jpg

I have the history of the fireplace somewhere but don't have time to find it right now. IIRC, it was once a summer home used to escape the heat for a family that had a ranch in the valley to the east. I'm wondering if the cabin in your pic is on the reservation lands just down the road? That area is protected by "No Trespassing" signs so I've never gone any farther than the signs. I've scoured most (all?) of the trails on that part of the mountain and haven't seen that cabin. You've piqued my curiosity... ;)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Yes! That's not it!....:smilies27

I hope we can find it.

I hope it's real....and still there!

Are you joining us? You are more than welcome to join us!

I'm serious.

I need to get some sleep tonight now...so I can be all smiliey in the morning!

.....:sombrero:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fireplace in your pics is at 7800'. Either they listed the wrong elevation or it's a different cabin. Also, the orientation of the fireplace looks different from how it's setup in the cabin photo (note large rock behind the lower part of the roof).

Here's a pic I took from a different angle (no big rock):
296813192_7mynR-M.jpg

I have the history of the fireplace somewhere but don't have time to find it right now. IIRC, it was once a summer home used to escape the heat for a family that had a ranch in the valley to the east. I'm wondering if the cabin in your pic is on the reservation lands just down the road? That area is protected by "No Trespassing" signs so I've never gone any farther than the signs. I've scoured most (all?) of the trails on that part of the mountain and haven't seen that cabin. You've piqued my curiosity... ;)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

CB Radio Channel 4.

I will be heading directly to Anza in the morning, from my home in North County.

I will leave my CB Radio on.

Perfect time for a Radio Check!

pray4surf

Explorer
We are going to try to make this - have a small setback - our garage door spring broke. :(

We are going to try and set some plan in action, but if 9:00 comes and we are not there - don't wait for us....

Rick

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles