Upland Hunting - General

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I went to find a woodcock but found this guy from a neighboring preserve (which I don't have access to).

1667323954854.jpeg

I much prefer her to find woodcock than this dumb phesant but I guess I can't complain especially when there was no woodcock.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I had a wonderful Saturday, in the NW CT.
It was too hot for November and wind was none, but the woodcock was plenty.
I was trying to avoid the pheasant areas, which had been released a day before.

I wish it was windy so she wouldn't bump a few birds, but for a second hunt she is doing good.
I don't know why people don't like hunting wc... they are fun!

1667855192307.png

I recently had an interesting conversation with a chukar hunter who hunts without a dog. He says he ties a helium balloon on a long string to his vest, and the birds hold until he gets very close. Purportedly, the balloon makes the birds think it’s a hawk. Theoretically, it seems possible, but truly strange.

Has anyone else heard of a technique like this.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I have finished my upland season in my state.
This was a good and long hunt. She found one big rooster with a huge tale.

Me and her hunted almost everyday since the late October to early December. New skills have been acquired and bad habits have been got rid off.
What we missed last year paid it in full this year. I'll do some more upland till end of the season but not in CT.
Now on it will be the waterfowl and rabbits.

1670877816754.png

dusmw

4 degrees, birds held tight and in many cases my pointing lab actually held the pheasant till the flush. Cold hands made for some challenging shooting.

Attachments

• FDDEF7CC-5A4A-4D8A-878B-2D292B40FBB9.jpeg
    FDDEF7CC-5A4A-4D8A-878B-2D292B40FBB9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
I recently bought a Franchi Affinity 3 20 gauge for chasing chukars. It seems very well made, durable and still light weight, with a smooth action. Affordable when compared to Benelli (which it basically is) and Beretta.

I can now miss with three shots instead of two.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Upstate NY ruffed grouse hunting is a tough job.
They don't let you to get closer than 40 yard. I put 8 miles in one day and 7 miles next day. Only saw them 2 of them far away.
Yet, it was beautiful day. Later I ended up in a state release spot, where my dog got rewarded by a solo pheasant after 5 hours of no game.

1697037085018.png

1697037259415.png

1697037450447.png

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader

Wyo37

Well even though it's big game season, I'm headed out Sunday for a chukar/hun hunt for a few days. Don't know why but I feel like it's time to bird hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles