Upland Hunting - General

Wyo37

Took the first trip this week. Towed very nicely and the titan made it up (and down) the mountain passes easily with two kids, two adults, two dogs, and gear.

I am picking up my 1yr old brittany from the trainer (yup I paid a pro) at the end of July. Based off of the improvements I saw after one month, hopefully after two he'll be really set up for success.

Then come August it will be time to start running on wild birds to get ready for September.

Explorerinil

Observer
Took the first trip this week. Towed very nicely and the titan made it up (and down) the mountain passes easily with two kids, two adults, two dogs, and gear.

I am picking up my 1yr old brittany from the trainer (yup I paid a pro) at the end of July. Based off of the improvements I saw after one month, hopefully after two he'll be really set up for success.

Then come August it will be time to start running on wild birds to get ready for September.
growing up we had brittanys, great bird dogs and great with the family. Post some pics when you can, I sure miss having one.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
My wife's first bird hunt was over the Brittanys.
One was a pure bred and the second one a cross breed between an American one and the French one.
They left extremely good impression. There were calm, well trained and hunted with passion.

Growing up in Eastern Europe, the Brittanys dominated the trails and hunting tests in the Continental division.
Probably the most popular breed after GSP (from non German testing / breeding system).

This is a field trail cup 2021 in Italy. I think it is NA test for young dogs. There many Brittays in it.
At this stage they are evaluated for use of nose, search, speed and style (each breed should demonstrate its own , breed specific, style of pointing, gait and general movement).

----

There is big drought in the West. They say the bird numbers will be down... I hope it won't be as bad as they say.
I have two upcoming trips in the western Minnesota for my dog's HZP. I was hoping to do some hunting around there as well.
Second trip I have got is in SD, the Langhaar fest, in pheasant country.

Reactions: plh
Anyone out scouting for birds? I’m hoping for a productive season.

As an aside, I stumbled on a CZ Bobwhite G2 in 20 gauge. It was a poor fit for me, the LOP seemed very short. However, I did like the magnetic breeches and the cerakote treatment of the barrels and receiver.

Wyo37

Not much scouting for me, but will hopefully hunting ptarmigan September 1st. If things go well, maybe blue grouse, ruffs, and Columbian sharptail. Then sage grouse.

Last edited:

SBSYNCRO

On the way to a weekend camping trip here just inland of the CA Central Coast my wife and I must have flushed a thousand dove from the side of the little one lane mountain road on the way to our camp spot. Now the wheels in my head won’t stop turning and I can’t wait for the season to start.

Haven’t seen many quail this year in my usual spots in and around the CA Central Coast. Hoping it’s not going to be as bad as it looks like so far….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
I was scouting east river SD in May - lots of birds, but before it got dry. Will be headed out there in mid October.

Wyo37

Well work got in the way and ptarmigan didn't happen.

I did hunt for blue grouse (came up empty) and sharptail over last weekend. Only saw 3 sharptail total, but got a point and shot at one, which came home with me. 28ga is 1 for 1 so far.

Sharptail burritos were legit....pretty much steak burritos. If you haven't had sharptail or sage grouse, you're missing out.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Early Teal season opening weekend was a barrel burner here in south Texas. We had a 17 man limit (102 birds) Saturday and a six man limit (36) this morning. We never got any large groups or volleys, it was hammering away at singles and doubles for the most part but it made for non- stop action. We were graced with the invite to a sponsored hunt hosted by Migra Ammunition and Dive Bomb Industries Decoys Saturday, the professional film crew and multiple dogs working the spread at the same time was quite the production and the free gucci shells were more than appreciated. Unfortunately I won't be around to hunt anymore during this short early season so it was all or nothing this weekend and 138 Teal will more than carry me over to big duck season in November. Now to make some Teal fried rice.

LHOURYe.mp4

IqSXAXO.jpg

fuC7JB5.jpg

ujlEUXU.jpg

qeRRCTD.jpg

mqh5KOH.jpg

JeeRRHk.jpg

TYbUUxZ.jpg

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Man, it must have been a blast!
Was it in the costal TX?
-----
My dog Just passed the Utility Hunting Test (HZP) , a day after she turned a year old, with 178 score which very very good.
She was the youngest dog in the test with a zero practical hunting experience (was too small and it took me 7 month get my gun permit).
The rest of the dogs were 1.5 years old and have hunted last year on different games. The judge could not even believe it and told she was too young and I was in disadvantage... regardless she did amazing!
I don't know what was it, my dedication to train her every single day and a luck or combination of the two, but it was a hell of a day and we did. I put a lot of pressure on her and besides some minor hiccup she did very good.

There were some terrific Drats next to us. No dog failed or got anything below very good score. It was great too watch the good dogs and handlers. Quite rear.
What's next? well... I need to rest and also let her rest. I didn't have a weekend this summer. Second, hunt her as much as possible on many type of game.

Next summer I'll start preparing her for the third level test, the VGP, which is basically a torcher for the dog's nerves and takes two days to complete.
Meanwhile some fun with no rules for a while so she could loosen up a bit :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles