Upland Hunting - General

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The new Fabarm Autumn 20 looks like a nice SxS, but pricier than I want to go. I’m shooting a Classic Doubles 201, which I believe may be an exact replica of the Winchester Model 23, and also made in Japan. One in very nice condition about $2500, so a bit more than half the price of the Fabarm. My only complaint if there is one, is it’s fixed choke (IC/Mod). Lovely wood, and a great English stock.

I've fondled an Autumn, it is a very nice boom stick, albeit too pricey for any field gun of mine. The best bang for your buck in a field grade double trigger SxS is the CZ Bobwhite G2 which can be found for under $600 if you look hard enough. It's a solid gun for field work but the finish and wood grade won't even come close to anything in the $2K+ range. IMHO, why bother with spending money on a beautifully finished out field gun that will inevitably get beat around in the truck and in the field?

Here is a link to a review of the FAIR Iside which retails for nearly $1800 but can be found closer to $1K in stores. According to the article it was spot on in every way short of the stiff safety selector. I find it to be a much nicer gun than the CZ in fit/finish but it isn't much different in terms of build quality. It comes with interchangeable chokes like the CZ but it only comes with three instead of five like with the CZ. I am seriously considering buying an Iside in 20ga later in the season and for as little as I shoot SxS's I can't really justify spending much more than $1K on one, the Iside falls perfectly into that role.

Wyo37

I saw one of those Aspire's at the LGS today, it's a nice gun for sure. F.A.I.R. makes a nice entry level double trigger SxS as well called the Iside, it's very similar to the CZ offerings but a with a little nicer finish out. I believe the name stands for Fabrica Arms Isodoro Rizzini, obviously another Rizzini family member. It appears they make some very nicely outfitted guns as well. Have you taken anything with yours yet?

So far with the Aspire I've bagged blue, sage, and sharptail grouse. I've missed a couple of huns too...but I'd probably do that with a 12ga (they're rockets). I also took a tumble with it chukar hunting so its officially broken in.

I think F.a.i.r makes a fine shotgun on par with other Italian manufacturers.

I'd love to get an Iside.

I've got another chukar trip planned and hopefully a quail trip down to KS or AZ.

On a side note my other go to upland gun is a 20ga Zenith Excellence (Turkish import made by huglu..same as CZ). Its my go to chukar gun, and I shoot it amazingly well.

I've fondled an Autumn, it is a very nice boom stick, albeit too pricey for any field gun of mine. The best bang for your buck in a field grade double trigger SxS is the CZ Bobwhite G2 which can be found for under $600 if you look hard enough. It's a solid gun for field work but the finish and wood grade won't even come close to anything in the $2K+ range. IMHO, why bother with spending money on a beautifully finished out field gun that will inevitably get beat around in the truck and in the field?
<snip>

I have the CZ Teal in 20 gauge, and while it’s a good field gun, I can’t hit squat with it. I’d also like to see nicer wood on the Huglu made shotguns. Nothing fancy, but better shaping and finish.

Explorerinil

Observer
I do all my upland hunting with an Ithaca 37 pump action my grandpa bought used for me back in 1990 for $100. I even won a trap tournament years ago with it. You don’t need the most expensive gun to shoot well, get something that works and practice with it.

I do all my upland hunting with an Ithaca 37 pump action my grandpa bought used for me back in 1990 for $100. I even won a trap tournament years ago with it. You don’t need the most expensive gun to shoot well, get something that works and practice with it.

You get no argument from me. I still have the Remington Wingmaster my dad gave me in 1960. It’s heavier than I want to carry for long, but it’s a great old shotgun. I had Briley shorten the barrel 4”, and add choke tubes. It will be a great shotgun for my grandkids.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
So far with the Aspire I've bagged blue, sage, and sharptail grouse. I've missed a couple of huns too...but I'd probably do that with a 12ga (they're rockets). I also took a tumble with it chukar hunting so its officially broken in.

I think F.a.i.r makes a fine shotgun on par with other Italian manufacturers.

I'd love to get an Iside.

I've got another chukar trip planned and hopefully a quail trip down to KS or AZ.

On a side note my other go to upland gun is a 20ga Zenith Excellence (Turkish import made by huglu..same as CZ). Its my go to chukar gun, and I shoot it amazingly well.

Sounds like you're dropping the birds with it, that's great. Taking a tumble while Chukar hunting is just part of the deal haha, those little bastards are irritating as hell but they are worth the struggle because they are so damn yummy.

I am going to go put a deposit down on the Iside next week, I'll pay it off after the holiday so that momma doesn't get angry about it haha. I am glad to hear that you think their quality is up there with the other main stream Italian makers. I haven't seen a Zenith in person but I've spoked with a few guys who own them and they seem to like them.

My two main upland guns are a 68x Beretta's, a 26.5" 20ga SP Golden Quail and a 28" 28ga SP1. Nothing fancy but quality guns that will out live me.

My BIL hunts everything with an old 870 Pump. Shoot what works for you, the fancy finishes and wood only make the owner feel better about the purchase, no one else cares lol. I appreciate the pretty guns but I don't like to take them in the field, it would hurt my feelings to bang up a $5K+ shotgun when I drop it so I stick to the entry level models for that very reason.

Wyo37

Sounds like you're dropping the birds with it, that's great. Taking a tumble while Chukar hunting is just part of the deal haha, those little bastards are irritating as hell but they are worth the struggle because they are so damn yummy.

I am going to go put a deposit down on the Iside next week, I'll pay it off after the holiday so that momma doesn't get angry about it haha. I am glad to hear that you think their quality is up there with the other main stream Italian makers.

What model are you going with? Single or DT's? Case colors or silver?

Theres a two barrel set (20ga and 24ga) on guns international I've been drooling over.

I love chukar hunting. They usually cooperate for the dogs. I've had hell with sharptails this year, real jumpy.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
What model are you going with? Single or DT's? Case colors or silver?

Theres a two barrel set (20ga and 24ga) on guns international I've been drooling over.

I love chukar hunting. They usually cooperate for the dogs. I've had hell with sharptails this year, real jumpy.

It's the simple entry Iside, case color, double trigger, no side plates. They retail for around $1800 but this shop has it for a lot less. This one is a 28" 20ga and I think it's still there simply because it's the 20 and not the 28ga. I like 28ga but 70% of what I shoot is 20ga so it makes more sense for me to go that route on this one. Id love to have an LC Smith, Parker or Merkel but for now this will do. I forgot about Guns International, I need to check that site out again soon.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I am planning on to buy a shotgun from my future wife. At the moment we can't afford to have separate guns for upland and waterfowl hunting, so I have to get somewhat "versatile" gun for her so she could start off.
What would be a good gun for her in this sense?

Also, meet Derringer "Dusty" Vom Hunter's Shadow - the Deutsch Langhaar. 10 weeks old.
Very smart. She absorbing trainings very quick, though she is having hard time to give up her dummy after retrieving it. :D

DLDusty.JPG

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I am planning on to buy a shotgun from my future wife. At the moment we can't afford to have separate guns for upland and waterfowl hunting, so I have to get somewhat "versatile" gun for her so she could start off.

Also, meet Derringer "Dusty" Vom Hunter's Shadow - the Deutsch Langhaar. 10 weeks old.
Very smart. She absorbing trainings very quick, though she is having hard time to give up her dummy after retrieving it. :D

View attachment 628190

You don't see many of the long hairs down here, very cool dogs.

If you are looking for one do-it-all gun then I'd probably recommend a 3" Auto of some sort in 12ga or 20ga. There's no sense in her lugging around a magnum so skip the traditional waterfowl guns chambered in 3.5". For a woman I'd lean more towards the 20ga, it'll be lighter, on a smaller action and still have plenty of pop to take any game she might hunt with it. As far as which particular one that really depends on your budget, there are quite a few quality guns out there for under $1K these days as well so don't feel like you need to spend $1500+, but know that the nicer ones will run you that much.

View attachment 628190
I’m thinking a recoil/inertia operated 20 gauge semi auto, 28” barrel, and as many chokes as you can get might be a good compromise. I’m not sure which maker has shotguns sized for women. Maybe Syren? They do have a nice O/U.

I’ve only been around a couple Langhaars. Interesting dogs! If I’m not mistaken, the Large Munsterlander is the same(ish) dog, but with a black coat instead of the liver. If you’re not experienced with versatile dogs, NAVHDA is a great crew to help with training... you, so you can take advantage of the dog’s natural abilitiy. Have fun, she is a beauty!

SGH

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Tex68w
As far as which particular one that really depends on your budget, there are quite a few quality guns out there for under $1K these days as well so don't feel like you need to spend $1500+, but know that the nicer ones will run you that much.
Yeah at the time I only can spend $1200 on her gun. This is not much but it could get her started.
I have started looking into CZ, Remington and some other manufactures as well.
One guy told me that for this price one can get a better recoil gun than an over-under.
Thank for the advise.

Sparse Gray Hackle
Maybe Syren? They do have a nice O/U

She absolutely loved a 20g Syren but it was a bit over out of my budget.
I am very familiar with NAVHDA and will run my dog through their NY/CT chapter in the spring, after she completes her first JGHV test, which is a German version of NAVHDA and is required by the DL club.

I’ve only been around a couple Langhaars. Interesting dogs! If I’m not mistaken, the Large Munsterlander is the same(ish) dog, but with a black coat instead of the liver.

They used to be one breed up until the early 20th century, but the longhaired club decided to terminate the membership of the black & white dogs on the grounds of frequent and often unauthorized cross breeding with the English setters and Gordon setters, which indeed brought the black color in the breed. Also, back than the brown color was preferred over the black. The guys with the B&W dogs did not to give up, so they founded the Large Munsterlander club. Some say that the most of the B&W dogs came from that area anyway. Other than this the two breeds are very similar.

The longhairs have got two clubs here in the states; one is a German chapter club, the DL-GNA, which strictly fallows the original German breeding and testing regulations, and the GLP club of America which has split of from the DL club and went on its own ways, breeding more localized version of the dogs.

The identical events have happened with GSP and GWP clubs. This is a very hot topic, especially among the GWP people. The GWP owners are like Toyota owners :D very emotional to their brand (breed) :D

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Tex68w

Yeah at the time I only can spend $1200 on her gun. This is not much but it could get her started.
I have started looking into CZ, Remington and some other manufactures as well.
One guy told me that for this price one can get a better recoil gun than an over-under.
Thank for the advise.

For that price I'd consider the following new guns:

Beretta A300
Beretta A391

Benelli Montefeltro
Benelli M2

Most of the Browning Autos (A5, Silver, Gold)

Franchi Affinity

Stoeger M3000

Most Retay Autos

For $1200 you'll likely be able to get into some of the higher end autos on the second hand market as well but it's hard to beat a new gun for the same or less money. I am a fan of Inertia guns but the gas guns will have less felt recoil, that said they are usually heavier and have a longer forend, trade-offs.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Tex68w

All these guns you have listed fits in my budget and her requirements.
Thank you. Appreciate your insight.

There are a ton more I could have listed but I wanted to keep it to currently available guns and ones that tend to be known as reliable and durable.

Loading up right now for this weekends hunt. Headed out to chase some Bob's on Saturday, can't wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles