Upgrading to clutch fan, brand recommendations?

ExplorerTom

Explorer
My Flex-a-lite fan setup attaches to the radiator the same way my OEM fan shroud attaches: the radiator has "hooks" down low and threaded attachment up top. Plus the electric fan shroud has a rubber gasket that sits up against the radiator core to make sure that all the air being pulled by the fans is being pulled through the radiator.

Both electric fans combine to move 4000 cfm, which I honestly don't know how that compares to the single clutch driven fan. 4000 cfm, at idle. Really don't think the clutch fan moves that much air at idle. Running down the highway, I'm pretty sure you don't even need a fan.

It's a 2 speed setup. No concerns there.

And while I don't have an ammeter connected, my UltraGauge voltmeter doesn't register a significant drop when the fans kicks on. And the lights don't dim. So I'm not worried.

SheepnJeep

I'm not saying the electric setup is wrong to do or won't move enough air. I just want to go with the clutch fan for simplicity sake, no extra wiring or anything else. Trying to keep this truck very basic so that it just drives when need be without any fuss. If I can get a fan clutch in there for 20-30 bucks bam that does the trick for me. At this point it's about time to put it away for the year anyways, never got to adding the clutch fan ha-ha

ultraclyde

Observer
Once again, I'm back with more reports on fan clutches. Because this has become a thing. I did order an OEM Mopar fan clutch for my Jeep after buying the Severe Duty Four Seasons that stayed locked all the time. The OEM fan (list $200!!) looked identical to the $50 clutch with a different part number molded on it and a Mopar stamp. Even had the same patent number on them. Unfortunately, it stayed UNlocked the entire time, even running the truck to 230*F. Since they looked like they were made on the same line, I started searching for one that looked different. The ONLY one I found was one made by GPD. SHort answer, it works like it should (mostly) and I recommend that brand over the Hayden/Four Seasons/others which appear to all be made by Hayden. If you want to read a longer description and some speculation, it's in my build thread here near the end of the page, with pics. Since @SheepnJeep originally asked for brand recommendations, that's mine. Go GPD.

incidentally, @1stDeuce it's not necessarily true that an OEM electric fan will always cool as well as a clutch/mechanical. It has a lot to do with specific vehicle airflow and design. The 5.2L ZJs came with a factory clutch fan and were rated to tow 6500lbs, but the same year 5.9L ZJs had electric fans (and larger alternators) and were only rated for 5000lbs because they couldn't manage the cooling issues. Folks who have retrofitted the 5.2s with factory 5.9 electric fans have seen less cooling. Granted, this is a specific case of a large engine stuffed in a small truck, but those cases do exist.

SheepnJeep

Back to this topic as spring is coming and I shall be ordering parts soon. I am going to order a thermal clutch and a kit to make a fan shroud. (Have to make my own shroud due to mounting weird sized radiator in truck)

Does anyone think it's a good idea to add a 7 blade fan while I'm at it? Do thermal clutches reach 100% water pump speed or is there a bit of RPM loss? I should probably take care with my cooling effieciency as the truck gets used for towing in the summer time. Thanks again guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94