Upgrade the GLASS headlights in your van (not HID, not LED)

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
The H6054 sealed-beam headlights have been around a long time. They've been installed in lots of vehicles. They're not aerodynamic or fancy but I'm really glad my van came with them stock. They're cheap, they're readily available, and they're real glass (not plastic) so they don't turn yellow every couple years. So why upgrade? To get more light shining out the front of my van for safety and comfort, to make it easier to carry a spare headlight ( 2 old lights = big shoebox size, 2 new lights = coke can size), and to improve the longevity of other components like the headlight switch. I'm looking at replacing the plain-jane incandescent H6054 (not even halogens!) on my van with Euro-spec glass lens/metal housing replacements that accept modern H4 bulbs and installing them with a relay harness to reduce voltage drop between bulbs and battery which will also lighten the load on the headlight and dimmer switches substantially thereby allowing them to live longer. I know HID and LED are the hot thing these days but they're far more expensive, far more delicate, and far less likely to be sitting on a shelf in Mazatlan when I get a big fat rock in one of mine.

Anybody else done any glass lens headlight upgrades besides HID or LED?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
My plan is two Hella ECE housings ($50 each), standard 60/55 H4 bulbs, and a relay harness ($75). Gonna be about $200 but I need bulbs already ($25) so no better time to upgrade.

Calculated voltage drop for selecting a relay harness.

8' run from relay to both headlights.

60w @ 12v is 5 amps (12v is worst case scenario; will be over 14v with running engine) so a pair of headlights on high beam is 10 amps.

With 14awg wire the drop is 2.7% (@14.6 volts, again using worst case scenario). With 12awg it's 1.7%. Both are acceptable (<3%).

Painless makes a harness for $200. Found a company in Colorado making good stuff for $75, Headlightservices.com. Summit Racing sells the United Pacific Headlight Relay Harness Kits 34263 for ~$38. It uses a fusible link instead of fuses or a breaker. It's not grounded to the battery, just the body. Both shortcomings can be corrected for ~$10 but then there's the question of wire gauge, which I can't find an official answer to easily. (Amazon reviews suggest 16awg)

I've priced decent parts to make the harness and not including wire, heat shrink tubing, or common terminals (ring, butt) it'd be ~$40. That should tell you something about the quality of those $20 harnesses all over Amazon and eBay

2 H4 female terminals
1 H4 male terminal
2 relays
2 relay bases
2 fuse holders

ert01

Adventurer
I did the same upgrade in my Jeep XJ a few years back.

I used Autopal E-code housings (eBay) made my own 10Awg relay harness (free parts from work) and used Hella 80/100W bulbs.

The Autopal housings didn't like the heat from the hot bulbs and the cold weather we get up here and they cracked really bad the first snowstorm we got. I switched those housings out for some IPF housings and added some 3M headlight protection film onto them. 4 years later and no cracks.

It's a decent upgrade, but if you're going to all the effort of building a harness, just go overkill so you can run some higher wattage bulbs. That's where the REAL lighting gains are. Just a harness upgrade and housings with stock bulbs won't really impress you, but some hot bulbs will certainly make you feel like it was a worthwhile mod.

dinobody

Observer
I have the plastic lights on my 2000 e350 and plan on converting to the glass rectangle light. There are no junk yards around here that have a e series vans hard to belive!! I am not exactly sure what all the small parts are but have found the metal back piece and the plastic trim piece. I have run hellas for twenty years on my 73 Bronco and they ROCK! I run 80/100 bulbs and have NEVER been flashed. The quality of the light pattern is amazing. They sell a wiring upgrade for the early broncos with relays. I made my own twenty years ago pretty simple. Hellas are an amazing upgrade and pretty cheap. You have a bunch of wattage choices.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
... I'm assuming the euro spec lights will be an even better upgrade.

Here's the most interesting pattern comparison I've seen in a while. Can't attest to its accuracy.

IMG_205.jpg

This is from the aiming instructions and is at a distance of 25'.

Beam_aim.jpg

Good photos here.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
You'll do best with a pair of Cibie lamps...and either Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram Rallye bulbs.
Superior pattern of light from these reflectors. Best focus/materials from the Philips bulbs but better output from the Osrams....

Can you validate these claims?

I've read the Cibie housings have a "better" pattern and that they're more delicate/less robust than the Hellas. Better how, specifically?

Are you comparing specific bulbs or just the Philips v. Osram brands in general? How can the "best focus" and "best materials" not result in the best "output"? Unless it's because one bulb has a higher wattage output than the other in which case I don't see the point in the comparison. Like saying the best built 50cc motor in the world is the best but it doesn't have as much output as a 250cc motor. Duh.

I fully understand and appreciate the improvements available from a relay harness, not questioning that vs my 26 year old circuitous Ford wiring :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The higher output from the Osrams is due to higher wattage ---- I've measured them in different reflectors, Hella vs Cibie, and have had some funny results... Mostly because I only measured LUX at very specific locations. Each bulb did "better" in a different housing at 100 meters. The Osram always won at 25 feet though.
I've been measuring lights and their outputs for about 9 years now. If you ping Dan Stern he might have isoplats of the Cibie vs the Hella reflectors. In a nutshell, the Hella lowbeam is a tad too low and its highbeam a tad too high. It's hard to get it aimed where it works best. But that Hella highbeam is a truly remarkable thing...

Here's a great lighting forum where you can get advice from professionals in the field. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?87-Automotive-Motorcycles-Included
Virgil would likely also recommend the GE Nighthawk sealed beam for your application. I think that Koito might make a new sealed beam in that size too but it would be pricey and not field-serviceable like an H4 lamp.

philos

Explorer
Have you called Daniel Stern?
Super nice, super helpful. Likes to take each client individually so he can help them get the best results.
Good prices too.
Used some of his Narva bulbs in an H4 conversion I did years back.

Sent via flux capacitor

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Have you called Daniel Stern?
Super nice, super helpful. Likes to take each client individually so he can help them get the best results.
Good prices too.
Used some of his Narva bulbs in an H4 conversion I did years back.

Sent via flux capacitor
Dan's been mentoring me for years. Very liberal with his knowledge and a genuinely nice person (as well as a gear-head).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94