Update on Custom Grille Project

MattJ

Adventurer
Thank you to everyone who has provided advice and suggestions so far! I started this thread so I can post updates as I make further progress on this project. I truly appreciate the views of this expert community, so please keep the feedback coming.

MattJ

Adventurer
Update #1: Original Concept Rendering

y4mnHIfOBcZHuaFfxorqanrEfnwNHphn_uzTGw_cNwi-pL0nag0yK8h8_uASpy7TXzt_nEbSt0IWg3zWMtN0mYLAf-qczhe63HXjIWbybKxQoiBrTrlMMMzlmvApvJXVdC0ZUoYBE7WXqmdulCVgbbkZy1xmJQp5U0LRGwOwpdNHCySTxDExhytzZ2zTv7daUc-3JE4rsiskVtCbb6EfwclBg

MattJ

Adventurer
Update #2: "Blank Canvas" Grille

It took me a week, several failed attempts, and a LOT of wasted materials and paint. But I finally figured out how to create a "blank canvas" from a used JK grille. I won't bother to post any of the FAIL photos here, but trust me I have many.

I plan to use black vinyl to make several sample designs to test the sizing and spacing for the Beast Grille pattern.

y4mz3TfqgkFPCj7yWkvzuQ3oE0YE2vKeE14_1VqRVEH4RRf3UDuDL5VrkFhe6kG6plAykgP6zji3j06klS1zRsbcYfp5PPrkYBUIy-UGnzM9W8vbBb2S8eNxwix-fz1Jk71pwTh0ZbSaMSvJJ09j8ZG7bdFcBzatDSE5PdU6JX9Z30vybtByiVP3Kj1q3xndjEff4YVFZOqDkVM3nmnIzET2A

MattJ

Adventurer
Update #3: Logo and Hats

I finished designing my logo and received an embroidery sample for my hats that will help me launch my product idea. I ordered hats in several styles and color combinations so I can post some photos and get feedback on which ones look the best. Hopefully they arrive by the end of this month!

y4mRfxn4m-FLgS06Xo3sgvkRzTsyxb5vnL6gV1bBJJHqgBRN3MhWsypZS6ejgiS78VFkeqyfaZHF-NS-vYOhofFj2wJe7jJHxZ1GZBOQhY3KC7MGFextemN9MrauSa61sDBmT38YjFH915798gUPyVAFkjRhMMCFH_dNzC26xX7Q41F6p4YbjfW5tX_W-MM8VPTcjvHZtn0YIKn4p_Xh1qlRw

y4mKtBicVHuZADwl2OsOmqudOr7U_aPYWRmmkmK6H4FgMUJaK4kr0RDZsWY3p81q40n8SM2SuSQW0YbH3pzK5D7RT4wybtfRr1cZPyUPgBxoaQeWsk1pp8hgimDTyzAKpGzqhb4kAH3DB9eSgGFiXIGQXNOGqzJVmJDtXUmET4HJr9z9fyHNvr3EUmzO7mHbY6hc7LsEB4QqOCD04FAzpUGjw

MattJ

Adventurer
Badger,
It's not my photo or my grille, it's Matt's grille, work and photo. This is not my project.
jeff

Yes - I apologize for the confusion if I wasn't clear in my original update posts. This is a project that I am working on directly with my own materials. It took me a week, several failed attempts, and a LOT of wasted materials and paint. But I finally figured out how to create a "blank canvas" from a used JK grille. Here are some additional photos to help explain better. Sorry about all the confusion!

y4m3l8BBw-8xqTqUvcEQfnCFcARF09Amcw4MaaX3s9SDePtgxZoXJBSG_o4YucEhm1pr0uexCvLdLuawRLXAlL-fRcvB24cih3aT6U1K0OgAEaT4zexaGVg2UnO3euZofRPErXIp2ApFV-QNpKKvXaeE_9KZQiIH-7X4-kymQ2zzlQ7SQDmc5_9s2UgYWp7_7Z3oROhbJYoXWAfKokHfAmvLA

y4m_Ij_kMNwooJlVqMu7h2L9bvoI1TtrbNpgtYvkWjaCXaWlQQzQiJVpZOTdxCxv33RPqD0_Nlt0wR2GYi4dDh03Z59ZMZg4vKWGVGWAoE3K9QNZARaErhM1BZ8za-bkQzw9RoHOzU6wtDyejDdDUbXmqAb4dit5Z6nstZKT2PNhGFW-Jyd_9m9qQ1Bv6tk_jiQZCwRnJoj1_P0LvBniwDSJg

y4m_4JrQbhVvWsKt2RPoXw5QYJ0M3GgY2gOIQF-PiTRHQXN11bG7eOggAnr_Hm1r_sw0DbG9m2c2OcEeu8PVcNuzGqde5WrbCfETZj_IHtR4bgm08YLvb0cwJ1lFNWvYR8_HwHCCGRx-cbGcPrEnurWT9VgIUOa6ScbgbUbgfpCpkEJCEjWcAJbPhLFng31WdW4WPINKnN2w5qWD25TNOHRng

y4mYdZQXo2pOwPfNTYfb1DRKACEUcav1MrlHoedLWOw0vM8UPNiBM-GvV7h1q_qTYWNG6OSQP7IpQd92VLVDhMJuWjKlrwBtJpdFOsVR5XRSawTRMnfjQMns3Kzzl_gUzjP0KeNv_2Bo09YHzwa9gDICwnu2XyPzOyVdaiKSPkBlJihc6FzCOPUHaXClnhcMO6TBA_ngZ3cq_x7Rkv6GLg4vA

MattJ

Adventurer
Update #4: Full-size Design Model

I had to hand-cut each piece and attach them one at a time, and it took a LONG time to get them all straight and spaced properly. But I am happy with the result.

I am interested in any feedback on the size, shape and spacing of the design. Thanks!

y4mHdYZ1YSAXY_HqcKF_QgBX3AFYNCT8a4C_GhZXWM9HQnOPagESfennXHGXNbvLOX8a4gQDYl6LggORhw8x2EeHojHqWUZG_qooRuNo6I0Vu3rWBIsX6tQfMLmw2IOSk0musrptBnVa0n2USlxXad8jIocUALSRz69axdfT8nOe_lwdASaAg3n_B2NB8K9LD193J9Za2p-0rZUqjIq2DZtQQ

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yes, definitely needs the Angry Eyes in my personal opinion.
Can the teeth be moved down? To my eye, the teeth need to be as low as possible in comparison to the headlights.
There is a grill out there, that seems like it has evil looking eyebrows, that may look even cooler.
If you could set the Jeep up with a set of these projectors for the marketing shot you may find a lot of buyers out there.
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_lights/projector_headlights_led_demon_eye_headlights_j

Another thought if you are willing to do two grills would be to do Bull Dog Canines. Since they go up, the positioning may not be as critical.
That grill may get a whole different target audience. Not sure if it would be better with "angry eyes" or just stock buckets.

Good luck with this project. :beer:

While this grill may not be spot on topic for "overland travel", as you go through the process of building it, it may inspire someone else to make that console, or box, or whatever based on your project.
So the more detail you put in your thread on building this, the more helpful it can be to others. Like what Jeff Scherb does. :)

MattJ

Adventurer
Yes, definitely needs the Angry Eyes in my personal opinion.
Can the teeth be moved down? To my eye, the teeth need to be as low as possible in comparison to the headlights.
There is a grill out there, that seems like it has evil looking eyebrows, that may look even cooler.
If you could set the Jeep up with a set of these projectors for the marketing shot you may find a lot of buyers out there.
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_lights/projector_headlights_led_demon_eye_headlights_j

Another thought if you are willing to do two grills would be to do Bull Dog Canines. Since they go up, the positioning may not be as critical.
That grill may get a whole different target audience. Not sure if it would be better with "angry eyes" or just stock buckets.

Good luck with this project. :beer:

While this grill may not be spot on topic for "overland travel", as you go through the process of building it, it may inspire someone else to make that console, or box, or whatever based on your project.
So the more detail you put in your thread on building this, the more helpful it can be to others. Like what Jeff Scherb does. :)

Thanks - all great suggestions. I was skeptical that the "angry eyes" would help, but now that I added them, I agree that they really look good! I even tried different shapes for the angry eyes, but the simple slanted ones are the best, I think. I also agree that the teeth would look better if they were lower relative to the eyes, but I think I will have very little ability to move the design once I start testing it on an actual Jeep. We'll see.

Interesting suggestion on bulldog teeth and projector headlights. I'll research them.

And yes, I realize this isn't really an "expedition" thread on the Expedition Portal! But this is my favorite Jeep community - you can search all of my other posts and see that my real passion is inventing and testing custom gear for extended off-road travel in harsh environments. Next week I am heading into the snow for four days to test several different systems for cold-weather overlanding, including UCO candles, a catalytic heater, and a portable Propex heating system. I will write up a detailed summary of the testing, add some photos, and post it on this forum.

But this Beast Grille side project has been fun to work on - I am learning a lot about new materials, techniques and customer markets. I really think it could have potential as a commercial product . . . IF it can be manufactured very cheaply (the requirement for any product to succeed these days). I have been contacted by a Jeep dealership that wants to put a few of the Beast Grilles in their lot to get customers asking about Jeep accessories and upgrades . . . which I am sure dealers love to sell at a nice markup with plus an installation fee.

Thanks again for the feedback!

MattJ

Adventurer
Hats arrived! One of the best things about trying to start a small business is that I get to help other small businesses along the way. I found a family-owned embroidery company in Minnesota that did a great job making sure everything was perfect with my design and production. I was happy to give them an order right before the holidays!

I had the first batch of hats made in several colors so I can figure out which one looks best (orange/brown, army/white and black/grey).

y4mktAEvfK1w2pm9AN8f7LUAYD2doEdlGsq0SNBifFivHbBhLzLlEC96pBAUUItRiv_qOdr2yI4D_5zADmf852h5lgF_0Tl_EmAtQWYuI1-BnAcx-FizXqiHGRW9DQBWGjdNBfWSGHN5Lqw1QFyS2-iUw1Q1GG9wsqM6Ab89l6VgTrgDKobm3371ZqdI9Rn-OkLOLDZnqnyjXDlSjmVyHjWqQ

MattJ

Adventurer
Latest update: making progress on the full-size prototype! Slow progress, but steady.

y4mcVCNLzKRUQ_IcdcVrJHMMrk4dbaGy1yeO6YYaEDwY6VDMj4yrwz3JwYqxytQC3WNza-57HwOERuZMk7xtt7eamfOAR7Oez_k-_mCFp1CdEDnCj509gIKFm3kQCMYRmERGPdv8cSvs2uq2lRI7YKJg8jmOpRurEW09H-IgOIl0MaJJOxS1CjCjbN3EYd1ZS9f8xlOPvXCLwl3P-l4Cy0n5A

y4mp86_oa9jVOlY6Qg7UWOpbfHcjHldVtzwgLmGhGWYAPYwfkyyKYFoglQ8PaVpghVUBpLT7b_IlDPzHBMNK_w27uY4T-5t7jz2QHDeoR86Dg4rF628HLk2h8oFmynvTAGpsNKM-TMody1ObumNIll9XWwDChHR6y32dRqv_VrpAW5Fo_Yw2AEAVua4E_XhI_HDFjVSkMQUYxeya5nI6IeMiw

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Nice work on the wood! :beer:

Is there room to do a bevel around the edge of the teeth?
Was thinking it might give a more three dimensional look.
But then I'm not sure if that would be a benefit, or a detractor... Hmmm?

Yeah, design is really a lot of work, and so darned subjective.
Fun to follow along with what you are doing. :)

MattJ

Adventurer
Nice work on the wood! :beer:

Is there room to do a bevel around the edge of the teeth?
Was thinking it might give a more three dimensional look.
But then I'm not sure if that would be a benefit, or a detractor... Hmmm?

Yeah, design is really a lot of work, and so darned subjective.
Fun to follow along with what you are doing. :)

Thanks - yes, there are several things I want to test with the full-size prototype: 1) the shape, spacing and bevel of the teeth, especially at the pointy end, 2) how different types of steel mesh might look with the design, and 3) where there will be any issues with how the grille fits onto the Jeep with slots that are shaped differently.

Thanks for following my thread. Let me know if you'd like a Trail Beast hat. I have some extra from the sample batch. Just pick a color and send me a PM!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles