unURBAN Adventures - Alaska to Argentina to AFRICA!

unURBAN

Adventurer
Border crossing Costa Rica to Panama

Hi everybody!

Thanks for all the comments. I'll try to get back to answering them a little later. Promise!

For now, here is the last write up on border crossings as we are now in Panama. Crossed the border on the Caribbean coast, and with a couple of days on a beautiful beach it is totally worth the drive!

unURBAN border crossings: Costa Rica to Panama

E&M

Last edited:

unURBAN

Adventurer
how do you like that ARB simpson III, any problems with it so far?

Hi Rubiclone,

We are very happy with our Simpson III. The last 13+ months we've had about 340 nights in the tent. There are of course a couple of things that we see are getting some signs of wear and tear. However, the construction seems pretty solid, and the design is overall good.

What we like:
- The mattress! This is only 5 cm / 2 inches thick, but it still feels like new. Nice and firm.
- The sheltered entrance. Nice to be able to climb in and out without getting wet when it is raining. And in rain it also provide a larger sheltered area bahind the vehicle (we open the tent to the back of the car).
- Plenty of space. The "III" should fit three people (we wouldn't recommend that), and this makes it nice and roomy for two.
- A nice annex is available, and is fast and easy to put up. We dont use it very often though...
- It is a little lighter than some of the plywood constructions (save where u can!).
- Great service and a good distributer network. Easy to get spare parts if you need them (we had to replace a piece or two in US, and ARB-USA really helped us out)

Things that we dont like, or have to do something about:
- The rain cover makes a lot of noice in wind. Being used to mountain tents, the design of this cover looks kind of hopless.... But on the other side, we hear this from EVERY SINGLE roof top tent owner we have talked to so far (and they have had all the different brands).
- The velcro straps don't last. These are just not of good enough quality. They can be replaced though.
- The transport cover will have to be replaced sometime soon.
- The zipper of the main "door" is failing. Need to be replaced.

So! Would we buy it again? Yes! For travel in Alaska or Siberia, probably not. For another trip lasting more that a year, maybe a hard shell camper of some kind will be considered the next time. But for shorter trips (up to a couple of months) absolutely!!

E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
Great write up . Do you know where I can see more pictures of the Patrol ? Have Fun !

Hi,

Our Nissan Patrol you can find more pictures of on our flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malinandespen/collections/72157625031617496/

And we have pics from the build process on nissan4x4.no:
http://www.nissan4x4.no/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1256

...this forum is in Norwegain, but there are plenty of pictures. Also try google translate.

To find general info on Nissan Patrols, go to www.patrol4x4.com which is an Australian forum. This is an awsone forum with tons on info and pictures.

E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
Glad to hear you found some good bread! I guess you didn't get to the french bakery in Sayulita Mx... The baguette they bake is the best I have had in the Americas! (Although I have yet to visit Toms).

redthies,

Unfortunately, we never got around to try the bakery in Sayulita. But the chocolate pancakes on the plaza was amazing! At the time we were driving in a convoy with four other cars, and we came in late one afternoon, and left early the next morning. Thinking back I kind of regret not staying longer. This was a really nice town with a good vibe.

And we can definitely recommend the German bakery in Nuevo Arenal in Costa Rica!! Not to mention their "gringa breakfast"!

E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
And thanks for all your comments!!

Right now we are sitting at the Panama Passage in Panama City talking with other overlanders, sharing info, and planning our route in South America. We are really starting to look forward to the next leg of our adventure. A new planned route on our webpage is in making (but not published yet..). If things go according to plan, we can ship sometime late next week. We'll tell you all about it soon! :)

E&M

Rubiclone

Observer
Hi Rubiclone,

We are very happy with our Simpson III. The last 13+ months we've had about 340 nights in the tent. There are of course a couple of things that we see are getting some signs of wear and tear. However, the construction seems pretty solid, and the design is overall good.

What we like:
- The mattress! This is only 5 cm / 2 inches thick, but it still feels like new. Nice and firm.
- The sheltered entrance. Nice to be able to climb in and out without getting wet when it is raining. And in rain it also provide a larger sheltered area bahind the vehicle (we open the tent to the back of the car).
- Plenty of space. The "III" should fit three people (we wouldn't recommend that), and this makes it nice and roomy for two.
- A nice annex is available, and is fast and easy to put up. We dont use it very often though...
- It is a little lighter than some of the plywood constructions (save where u can!).
- Great service and a good distributer network. Easy to get spare parts if you need them (we had to replace a piece or two in US, and ARB-USA really helped us out)

Things that we dont like, or have to do something about:
- The rain cover makes a lot of noice in wind. Being used to mountain tents, the design of this cover looks kind of hopless.... But on the other side, we hear this from EVERY SINGLE roof top tent owner we have talked to so far (and they have had all the different brands).
- The velcro straps don't last. These are just not of good enough quality. They can be replaced though.
- The transport cover will have to be replaced sometime soon.
- The zipper of the main "door" is failing. Need to be replaced.

So! Would we buy it again? Yes! For travel in Alaska or Siberia, probably not. For another trip lasting more that a year, maybe a hard shell camper of some kind will be considered the next time. But for shorter trips (up to a couple of months) absolutely!!

E&M

Perfect! just what i wanted to hear! thanks alot for the review... just pulled the trigger on one today.. im taking it to alaska lol, pretty used to noisy tents though so hopefully it wont be too bad! good luck on the rest of your trip and thanks again!

unURBAN

Adventurer
Perfect! just what i wanted to hear! thanks alot for the review... just pulled the trigger on one today.. im taking it to alaska lol, pretty used to noisy tents though so hopefully it wont be too bad! good luck on the rest of your trip and thanks again!

Good choice! :)
And we didn't have much problems with wind in Aaska. If it''s not brand new, make sure to invest in a good impregnation spray!

E&M

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Guys!

Loved your pictures of Boquete! Lived in Panama for a few years in the late '70's and we loved to visit Boquete. The coffee at the hotel was amazing. (And here wasn't much else in the town in those days.) Remember the road up the volcano; lots of fun!

Have a great trip.

valeriano

Observer
Guys!

Loved your pictures of Boquete! Lived in Panama for a few years in the late '70's and we loved to visit Boquete. The coffee at the hotel was amazing. (And here wasn't much else in the town in those days.) Remember the road up the volcano; lots of fun!

Have a great trip.

hahahahahaha
I just had to come here comment about this.
Its quite funny to hear about a City called "Boquete".
This word means "**************" in portuguese! :xxrotflma

LMFAO!

unURBAN

Adventurer
Boquete and Vulcan Barú

In Canada we had a problem with a leaking brake hose, but every now and then we filled up with a little brake fluid and it was not too bad. Then the leak stopped and we just made ourselves a mental note about fixing the brake hose one day along the road somewhere.

5680139943_1cf49edb0d_b_d.jpg

While driving on these steep roads, and pushing it a bit because we wanted to get to Boquete before it got dark, we got a brake warning light on the dash, and discovered a rather serious leak in the brake hose. Filling up with brake fluid and driving very slow the last 30 km we got to Boquete without any accidents, and started looking for a place that could help us with a new brake hose. The challenge is that this brake hose is longer than the stock one because of the 5 inch suspension lift. We had to have a new one made after our spesifications.

5699988442_de98caff19_b_d.jpg

Our host at the Pansión Topas recommended us a garage. We went over to talk to the mechanic. He did not have the parts that we needed, but he recommended us a place in town to get a new hose and he would put it on for us. The shop in town did not have the parts we needed. We went back to the mechanic, and for some gas money he would drive to David (about 40 km away) and get it for us. He said he would be back at 2-3 o’clock in the afternoon, and he would then call us at the Topas. At 3.30 we had still not received a call, and we drove to the garage where they were all sitting in front of a television watching Barcelona versus Real Madrid in the Champions League semifinal. Except the mechanic himself. Apparently he was still in David. We guessed he was also watching the match there before returning to the garage... So we called it a day, drove back to the hostel, and returned to the garage the next day. Next day the mechanic was back with his Barcelona cap on, and he had been able to get a brake hose for us.

5699989380_9af9c037c0_b_d.jpg

The Patrol has a really tight fit for the left brake hose, and it took a bit of a struggle to get to the upper part of the hose loose. The new one went in, and Espen was skeptical as it went in a little too fast. We drove the car out, and tested the break. The new hose was leaking as h…! Back in the garage. He finally got it right, and we made a mental note of doing things ourselves if you want it properly done. We had a short test run in the valley and decided it was okay.

One of our reasons for coming to Boquete was that we had read that it was possible to drive up to Vulcan Barú, the tallest mountain in Panama with 3474 meters. We had also heard that it was pretty rough, and our host said that only a Unimog with portal axels could drive up there. We wanted to give it a try. Vulcan Barú is in a National Park and the information at the ranger station told us it was 13,5 km to the summit.

5699418599_12777fbd02_b_d.jpg

First the road was a nice gravel road, but then it became rougher and rougher with big rocks and no room to navigate as the road had dug into the terrain.

5699992722_772c28b614_b_d.jpg

5699996344_89f76c94cc_b_d.jpg

Every now and then we stopped and walked a bit to see if it was worth driving on. After 4,5 km we stopped to reconsider. Because of the brake hose we had started quite late in the day, and we realized that we wouldn’t get up there before dark. The 4,5 kilometers had taken us two hours, and the road kept getting rougher. On top of that, dark clouds came in and covered the mountain. Espen was also wondering about the brakes, and he suspected that there was still air in the system. We decided to turn around.

5699423259_756eb92706_b_d.jpg

On our way down the rain started and we could hear the thunder up around the summit, and we were actually really happy about not camping up in that dark grey cloud. Another time…

After one more night in Boquete we were on our way to Panama City where the process of shipping the car will start.

E&M

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
E&M,

we actually hike up that trail a couple years ago...here's some pictures, including the summit. You did not miss that much, it's not all that great - pretty rocky and dry at the top, and there this big antenna that takes away from the magic...

534540358_LGEFs-M.jpg

534540815_86yEg-M.jpg

534540972_NST79-M.jpg

534542077_hUeEw-M.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I recall that brake line leaking when you were at my place....last year!!

Hard to believe you let it go so long and with so many miles. That would have made me very nervous!

I had wanted to explore that road above Boquete in my Taco this last winter. I never made it though and had a feeling it was to much for my Taco, especially alone and with no winch. Some day, some day!

To bad you have not much time to explore Panama. It is a really wonderful country. I also wonder when are some overlanders going to head south west of Panama City? I know I know the road ends before Colombia. But I thought it would be cool to at least get to the entrance of the Darien Gap Park and take a photo of the sign and my truck. I never made it tough....some day.

Even though you are missing a lot of really awesome places & people in Panama you will soon be in one of my favorite countries in the world. I hope you allow more time for Colombia, it has much to offer including more Patrols than most other countries in the world.

Good luck, have fun and safe travels.

unURBAN

Adventurer
Hei Christian
Thanks for the info and photos from the summit of Vulcan Baru. Good to hear that we did not miss out on much.

and hei RMP&O
yes, we should have fixed the break hose a long time ago, but it was good for a long time. Hope the new one will last a bit longer than the last one:)

As soon as we get the Patrol out of the container we will explore Columbia, looking forward to it. Just a bit conserned about heavy rain and floods. Saw some images from the floods in Barranquilla on TV the last few days and that will be the first area we will drive through.

Admired this Patrol in town today
5731194227_3ec02625f5_b_d.jpg

Since we did not drive to the Darien we are looking forward to one day see your photos from the area:)

E&M

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior