unURBAN Adventures - Alaska to Argentina to AFRICA!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
If you come down the coast on 101 I am in N. Ca near Eureka and can give you some good roads and places to check out. Keep posting I enjoy reading it.

jpvm

Explorer
4968421859_5db9f99596_b_d.jpg

E&M

Holy Moly, this is big big lizzard !!!!! :Wow1::Wow1::Wow1::Wow1: , The Y61 looks like an ant besides it ... :costumed-smiley-007

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
UnUrban camping in my front yard this evening....

Good vibes, good conversation and one awesome Nissan Patrol in my front yard!

My pleasure to offer a world traveler space on the lawn....

Tomorrow....Off-Roading in Jackson Hole! Pics to come....

:wings:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Sorry we missed you in the Okanagan! My wife Ute and I live only 5 minutes from Mission Hill winery. The food is better at Quails Gate or Grey Monk anyway. The German chefs at Grey Monk do a fantastic dinner. It was great to see your pictures of Vancouver Island as we are moving back there ( just Victoria side of Jordan River ), in three weeks. A good motivator! We also are planning a drive to Patagonia sometime in the future. We will be following your trip here with great interest.

If you do go south via Jackson Wy, there is some wonderful camp spots along the river on the road south to Alpine Wy. We drove that route along the west side of Wyoming down towards Zion two years ago at this time. It is very beautiful. We are jealous!

Safe travels. If you want any info on the west side of Mexico, let me know. I have driven most of the way down the west coast and inland to Mexico city many times. We have many friends along that route if you need local contacts. I just today (after posting) received an email from my uncle who lives in Jalisco year round. I f you like I can forward it. It is the latest update from the US state dept in Mexico. It makes for an interesting read. (Take from it what you will, it is after all the governments view on things).

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So I had the pleasure of meeting Espin & Malin. On their way south they decided to stop off for a night in Jackson Hole.

We went to a local place last night called The Bird for the best burgers in town...along with some German beers! Afterwards Espin & Malin came over and we sat around till 1am drinking a few beers, few sips of Zacapa rum and chatting about Patrols, travel and more!

Today we went for a short 4wd up Munger Mountain before they headed off to Salt Lake City. There is a spot on the trail near the top that I have never been able to climb without front and rear lockers. Today was no different, my Taco only has a rear locker.

I got to say the unURBAN Patrol is AWESOME! Very well set up for overland travel and since Patrols are a pasion of mine I could not stop looking at the black beauty of a Patrol!

The possibility exists that we may see each other again this winter in Central America! Until then...safe travels to Espin & Malin and thanks for stopping by!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYuH70SY-tw"]YouTube- unURBAN[/ame]

3 generations of Nissan Patrols!
main.php

main.php

I am jealous!
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

more pictures at..... http://www.rmp-o.com/phpBB3/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=5356&g2_page=18

jpvm

Explorer
Well at last you have on Y61 @ home :victory::victory: , we'll be waiting for those pics with the MQ and the Y61 in WY :ylsmoke::ylsmoke:

UnUrban camping in my front yard this evening....

Good vibes, good conversation and one awesome Nissan Patrol in my front yard!

My pleasure to offer a world traveler space on the lawn....

Tomorrow....Off-Roading in Jackson Hole! Pics to come....

:wings:

jpvm

Explorer
Sorry we posted at the same time !!! Nice pics guys , congrats to the Nissan Patrol team !!!!

concretejungle

Adventurer
What a great looking Patrol! Those trucks are so very similar to the 80 series toyota land cruiser. IMHO the two are probably the best expedition vehicles you can get!

Wish both Nissan and Toyota would import to America what we want! Give us Patrols and give us desiel motors!

unURBAN

Adventurer
Sorry we missed you in the Okanagan! My wife Ute and I live only 5 minutes from Mission Hill winery. The food is better at Quails Gate or Grey Monk anyway. The German chefs at Grey Monk do a fantastic dinner. It was great to see your pictures of Vancouver Island as we are moving back there ( just Victoria side of Jordan River ), in three weeks. A good motivator! We also are planning a drive to Patagonia sometime in the future. We will be following your trip here with great interest.

If you do go south via Jackson Wy, there is some wonderful camp spots along the river on the road south to Alpine Wy. We drove that route along the west side of Wyoming down towards Zion two years ago at this time. It is very beautiful. We are jealous!

Safe travels. If you want any info on the west side of Mexico, let me know. I have driven most of the way down the west coast and inland to Mexico city many times. We have many friends along that route if you need local contacts. I just today (after posting) received an email from my uncle who lives in Jalisco year round. I f you like I can forward it. It is the latest update from the US state dept in Mexico. It makes for an interesting read. (Take from it what you will, it is after all the governments view on things).

Thanks for comments and camp site suggestions! Unfortunately we were already in Salt Lake when i saw your post, and for sure, the road betweeen Jackson and Alpine is a really scenic drive.

And it can be a challenge meeting people along the way as our blog postings are at least a couple of days behind our actual position most of the time. However, we have updated the "planned route" on our web page, but it is not 100% accurate.

The update from the US state dept in Mexico would be most interesting to read. Great if you can forward. I'll send you a pm with my email. Thanks!

Enjoy Vancouver Island, it is a fantastic place!
E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
Jackson Hole

And a BIG thanks to RMP&O for opening his home for us!! We had a really good time in Jackson Hole, and we hope we can meet up somewere in Central America.

And to all readers, look closely on the pics of the green 160 Patrol. This is one of the most awsome offroad-machines I've ever seen! I think I need bigger tires..... :)

Espen

unURBAN

Adventurer
If you come down the coast on 101 I am in N. Ca near Eureka and can give you some good roads and places to check out. Keep posting I enjoy reading it.

Thanks! We are now on our way south along the Rockies, so it looks as the 101, at least north of San Fransisco, will be left to explore the next time...

We'll definitely keep posting!
E&M

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I do not know what your plans are, but if you are anywhere near Moab it is well worth seeing. Try "Fins-N-Things" It is a really fun trail, that you can easily do in your rig. Hell's Revenge is also a great trail if you are interested. The other one I would highly recommend is spend a day on the White Rim Trail. You can not go the entire thing as it was washed out (10 plus meters wide by more than that deep no way around) BUT you can always spend a day going down the road halfway, and then come back out. (must have a permit to camp on the trail)

Another really good one to see is Bryce Canyons, Amazing! Check it out on line and see if you want to go! Some great hiking trials in there as well.

Lastly I personally think it is a shame to visit the USA and miss the Grand Canyon! You can see the thing really easily in two hard days, and if you want to hike you can spend a week or two there. It is amazing to see! There is even a 4x4 trail to the bottom, but I have never managed to find out how to get on to it. I know it crosses a reservation, and you would have to pay them to get in, but it may be a private road in which they do not allow travelers. Worth looking into though.

If you end up in Provo Utah let me know, more than welcome to park in my yard for a night or two.

unURBAN

Adventurer
I do not know what your plans are, but if you are anywhere near Moab it is well worth seeing. Try "Fins-N-Things" It is a really fun trail, that you can easily do in your rig. Hell's Revenge is also a great trail if you are interested. The other one I would highly recommend is spend a day on the White Rim Trail. You can not go the entire thing as it was washed out (10 plus meters wide by more than that deep no way around) BUT you can always spend a day going down the road halfway, and then come back out. (must have a permit to camp on the trail)

Another really good one to see is Bryce Canyons, Amazing! Check it out on line and see if you want to go! Some great hiking trials in there as well.

Lastly I personally think it is a shame to visit the USA and miss the Grand Canyon! You can see the thing really easily in two hard days, and if you want to hike you can spend a week or two there. It is amazing to see! There is even a 4x4 trail to the bottom, but I have never managed to find out how to get on to it. I know it crosses a reservation, and you would have to pay them to get in, but it may be a private road in which they do not allow travelers. Worth looking into though.

If you end up in Provo Utah let me know, more than welcome to park in my yard for a night or two.

Hey!
Thanks for excellent recommandations! And thanks for the yard camp offer. Much appreciated. Stayed in SLC for a couple of days, so we decide to dive directly to Moab from there. Next time...

I'll definitely play around here in Moab. A funny thing is that I tried just those trails going through Moab on my way north, but my girlfriend that joined me in Calgary hasn't seen them. Will try one or more. I was also thinking about driving Lockhart Basin to Elephant Hill, and maby out Beef Basin.

Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Grand Canyon are on our list! And perhaps Hole In The Rock trail on our way. We'll see... The 4x4 trail to the bottom of sounds interesting. Anyone else here that know if it is possible to drive it????

E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
Last Chance Saloon

Just had to post a few pics of the Last Chance Saloon we found on our way south in Wayne in Alberta. A fantastic little place with tons of atmosphere.The old car outside had license plates, and it actually looked as if it was a daily driver.

4988875487_4424c9acce_b_d.jpg

And notice the decorations over the bar....

4988875315_997fce531f_b_d.jpg

The place was imediately classified as un-urban, and we celebrated with a cup of coffee :)

4989480536_fb44cf26ff_b_d.jpg

Never heard of Fargo before. Canadian?

4988874767_c2fd458251_b_d.jpg

4972508235_c910a3fa64_b_d.jpg

Just be happy you don't live in Norway....

E

unURBAN

Adventurer
Back in USA!

Our last day in Canada was grey, rainy, and the temperature was about 5 degrees Celsius. Definitely time to head south. Crossing the border from Canada to USA was no problem, well, except from a couple of tomatoes and apples that were considered to be a threat to national security…

4973163632_6be9a17e8e_b_d.jpg

Had been told that Glacier National Park was beautiful, but we had low clouds and fresh snow up in the pass.

4973159642_a611ecbce2_b_d.jpg

Camped in Apgar Village and hoped for better weather the next day, as we actually planned to drive the same way back across the pass and hopefully have a better view. Unfortunately, the weather did not improve and we continued south. To defrost we stopped first at Lolo Hot Springs and the next day at Fairmount Hot Springs. Nnnnnice!

4972546663_c23bcef5d1_b_d.jpg

The drive across southern Montana was really nice, and the landscape was definitely different from all the forest in the north.

4973162162_894f594723_b_d.jpg

One day when we had a lunch stop at a rest area off the Highway and were eating our sandwiches, we suddenly felt like we were in the middle of an American action movie. There was a police man a little bit behind us on one side of our car pointing a gun and shouting to a man on the other side of our car, to get his hands in the air. We got a bit nervous because we could not see the other man and didn’t know if he was holding a gun. Luckily he had no gun, and he got down on the ground, was handcuffed and put into a police car. When we asked the police what happened they just smiled and said he was drunk and had threaten to kill the people in the bus he came on. No wonder the bus driver stopped and let him get off. After the delay we finished our lunch and got back on the highway heading towards Livingston were we had a good end to the day with BBQ and wine in a friend's garden.

E&M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles