unURBAN Adventures - Alaska to Argentina to AFRICA!

unURBAN

Adventurer
Hei!

Thanks so much for all Your comments! We haven't been very active online lately, and we'll probably be relatively quiet for the next couple of months too. Right now we're stuck in Punta Arenas, Chile, waiting for a weather window in Antarctica so we can fly in. We've been waiting for 10 days now, and today we actually went to the airport, but were called off at the last moment... Next try later today :)

We have brought with us all the notes from our trip, and the plan is to post updates on costs, equipment, and other lessons learned when we're back home late January.

So! Until then, happy overlanding!!
Espen & Malin

BurbanAZ

Explorer
congratulations on such a great trip over the years and thanks for all the great stories and amazing pictures. Truly an inspiration!

unURBAN

Adventurer
Things to do after an overland trip

Hi All,

We've been off-line for a while, but are now back in Norway after a great couple of months on the Antarctic continent. Malin was part of the shut-down crew this season, and they flew out on the 11th of February. I've been in Norway for a couple of weeks working on the Patrol.

6188878357_cac6af01c7_o.jpg

The Patrol which has looked like this for the last five years, is under the knife... To get the car through the roadworthy–tests in Norway, the lift, the big tires, and also the steel bumpers have to come off. All the camping gear has gone into storage, and the modifications have been reversed back to original settings.

12637321664_1b5e2fc5ab_o.jpg

It has been quite a few hours spent in the workshop to change back to the original parts, but fortunately it seems everything has survived the time in storage. The only thing left is to replace the axles with lower geared ones. The axles we've had have been geared for 37”-38” tires, and the original tire size is about 30.5” Feels weird, and the size difference is significant!

12637319564_dc5c1065e9_o.jpg

Underbody protection is coming off, and so are the rock sliders on the side. Originally the Patrol has steps.

12637321794_6b7f801d51_o.jpg

The adjustable and longer/dropped control arms are replaced with the standard arms as the lift coils are taken out. The arms from the lift kit is on the floor.

12636985033_22953159a4_o.jpg

Everything is put back on and I had the first test drive. Next up is a good rub and polish, and to mount back seats. I still think it looks good considering what it has been through!

12636842225_877f484e22_o.jpg

And so it ends for the unURBAN Patrol. Soon to be for sale...

Thanks for the ride!!
Espen

Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I'd love to hear the story you'll tell prospective buyers...
Has it ever been off road? - Wellll.... Maybe, Sort of

4x4abc

Adventurer
traveling around the world with a car does not imply off-road. Some bad roads maybe - but why off-road?

unURBAN

Adventurer
Antarctic update

13081597574_b773e0df10_o.jpg

As there was an overland vehicle involved this season as well, I thought I should do a write up on the main events in this year's Antarctic season.

We arrived back home in Norway mid September, and after about four weeks spent with families and friends, we packed our winter gear and got on the plane to Punta Arenas in Chile. Almost two days later we could smell spring in Southern Patagonia. Walking the streets we kept our eyes open for overlanders coming south, but we didn't spot any. It was probably a little too early in the season. After a long delay waiting for the weather at Union Glacier in Antarctica we finally got the call to go to the airport. 11 days behind schedule we landed on the blue ice runway on Union Glacier ready for another season on the frozen continent.

13081760224_df4200dac1_o.jpg

Camp was up and running, but we had unusually bad weather this year, and many flights were delayed. Fortunately, we managed to get most of the passenger flights in and out on time. Cargo flights had to be moved forward, and in the end, the season was extended with almost two weeks to get in all the flights that were planned. Many days had contrast so poor we wouldn't even leave camp.

13081454555_0eac87a1bc_o.jpg

More and more airplanes are using the Union Glacier skiway. British Antarctic Survey have several bases on and around the peninsula, and on their way to sites on the plateau or to the South Pole they normally drop in for lunch. Also American scientists have been using our facilities this season, and a Chilean group has established a new camp not far from ours. It was quite busy at times.

13081290755_98c181e2c9_o.jpg

The highlight for me this season was “The Blue Van Recovery Project”. Two years ago, one of our Ford vans had a mechanical failure a few kilometers from the South Pole driving as a support vehicle for an expedition. We got the car to the pole, but had to leave it there over winter. The next season we got spare parts in, and one of our mechanics got it running. Unfortunately, the conditions weren't good enough to drive it all the way back to base at the time. This season, I was on the team to bring it back. We flew in with new tires and got the van running and fueled up for the return trip. Waiting for the weather we also set up a small camp that the company uses for our expedition clients. A few days later a field guide flew in to manage the camp, and on the flight was also my favorite chef, Malin!

13081458555_d0748e32c5_o.jpg

Together at the South Pole!!

13081295375_8c9afa5dc8_o.jpg

Camp at the Pole with Sun Dogs...

13081541845_017425c5e6_o.jpg

Blue Van Team ready to depart for the 1200 kilometer drive across the Antarctic Plateau to Union Glacier. Me on the left, with Nigel, Senior Mechanic, and Tom, Field Guide. It is a surreal feeling leaving the Pole driving into absolutely nothing but white.....

13081283735_ffb2fedb5c_o.jpg

Because of the poor weather we were about a week delayed to start the blue van project. We arrived at the pole a few days after Scott and E7 had passed on their way back to Novo. Too bad we couldn't meet up. Imagine an overland meeting at the South Pole!?!?! I even brought my Overland Journal cap! However, we were lucky enough to meet some of the Arctic Truck team, and three of the trucks drove out the same route as us. These trucks are now overwintering at our base at Union Glacier. Before wintering the vehicles, we had time for a quick day trip on one of our routes (checked with radar) up a glacier a few hours out from camp. From this point we had great views to Antarctica's highest mountain, Mt Vinson, about 130 kilometers away. Looks interesting? Well, book a trip for next year!!

13081411773_b018987c2f_o.jpg

Malin was part of the close down team this season, and didn't leave Antarctica until 11th of February. On her return to Norway, I had been busy in the garage with the Patrol, and even picked up a new “temporary local overland (read: tarmac) vehicle”. For the next update…

Espen

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles